• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oregon to Colorado Road Trip with Mountain Bike June 2021

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the benefits of the COVID fallout is I can work from anywhere. So......I’m planning a pretty big (for me) road trip. I’ll start in late May from Colorado and have 1 overnight in Ogden, 2 nights in McCall Idaho, 2 nights in Bend Oregon, and 4 camping nights in Sisters with family before heading to Portland and spending 1-2 weeks with said family before heading home. I have not planned anything for my trip home. I haven’t even settled on when it will start. If you were planning a road trip from Portland Oregon to Lafayette Colorado, where would you go and anything specific you’d do along the way?

Reactions: Ron

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Yes!

When I moved here from Portland, I decided to drive the entire Oregon coast before leaving the state. I went up to Astoria and drove south. Loved it. The Oregon coast is beautiful. Whales, bald eagles, seals. By chance, Bandon had an amazing sunset the evening I was there. The next morning I walked the beach and watched people harvesting mussels from a rock and children investigating sea life attached to rocks.

As I approached California, I saw a sign for redwoods, so I continued south and went thru a redwood forest.

Traveling east, I looked at the map to decide which way to cross Nevada. Lo and behold, one route would take me by Area 51 via the Extraterrestrial Highway. You can't get on the facility, but you can drive to the gate, so I did.

Tahoe

Bodie State Park -- historic ghost town

I'll look thru photos and see what else I can dig up.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I am so happy for you! I recently returned from Bend where I was completely enamored with the grandiose landscapes and charming people. I found a slice of heaven and I am honored to have experienced it.

BD0D73AE-12E2-4FF8-9933-EDE81C1BBF93.jpeg
0BE6AA3F-A656-4970-85FC-BFC91F431BEB.jpeg

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
While in Portland, you can see Multnomah Falls. If you drive the access road to the right of eastbound I-84, you can stop at other smaller falls and sights. You can also go to Mount St Helens for the day.

If you decide to travel east in Oregon, the John Day area is known for its rock formations and fossils and the painted hills nearby. Lots of hiking. And if you were there, I highly recommend a stop at Kam Wah Chung. It's a historic site related to Chinese immigration. Kam Wah Chung is a brief stop, only an hour or two, so not likely something you'd make a special trip to see.

If you're interested in the Oregon Trail, Baker City and Oregon City are good places to learn the history. Oregon City was more museum-oriented. Baker City was more outdoors, walking paths down to the ruts left by wagons.

Over on the coast, Boiler Bay and Depoe Bay were good whale locations. If you see something about Cape Arago State Park, know that trails and areas can be closed off April-June to give the sea mammals space and quiet for birthing and nursing their young.

Oregon Dunes

Sunset at Bandon:
FB_IMG_1617775717720.jpg

When I drove into Bandon, the air was heavy. It looked dark, smoky, ominous, like a time I wouldn't want to be on a coast. I understand that condition portends these amazing sunsets.

Mussel garden:
FB_IMG_1617775756691.jpg

Sea world when the tide is out:
FB_IMG_1617775745938.jpg

Sea anemone having crab leg for breakfast:
FB_IMG_1617775777446.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, you'll have your bike! Do you want to ride while here in Ogden? I don't know how many of the alpine trails will be snow-free yet, but with our low snow pack, I'm guessing more than normal.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@VickieH your pictures are reminding me of childhood vacations to Canon Beach! I loved playing in the tidal pools around Haystack Rock. I think I've posted the picture of me as a child eating oysters, that was taken at the cottage we used to rent that was right along the main road. I imagine I'll get over to the coast with family during my stay in Oregon, especially becuase I've made my nephew promise to take me fishing (his first love hobby) while I'm there. I'm currently debating whether I go south then east or east then south. Part of me wants to go back through Idaho and do a day or two in Sun Valley and then the same in Jackson WY. Your thoughts are really intriguing. It might depend on weather patterns.

@Après Skier I haven't been to Bend yet but I've spent 2 Memorial Day weekends camping in Sisters which is only about 30 minutes away previously (Oregon family tradition that I started flying in to join) and I love the area. I'm looking forward to a couple of days in Bend as I've heard great things about it.

@AmyPJ Ogden is only a 1 night stop with a 6 hour drive the next day and I've got an 8ish hour drive from home so probably no biking there. Besides, I'm so out of shape that I doubt I'll be much fun to ride with. :doh:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You want MTB locations? Also, bike security is a huge issue.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You want MTB locations? Also, bike security is a huge issue.

MTB locations outside of the named stops might be interesting.

I'm well aware of bike security issues. The bike will be transported inside the vehicle and will come inside with me every night except for camping in Sisters but we have a system in place there. I haven't pulled it out yet to test positioning in the new vehicle but my hope is that it will go in then will be covered in a way that won't make it obvious that there is a bike inside. Because I'll have a dog with me any stops for food will be me eating on an outdoor patio or very quick runs inside to grab something to eat in the car.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
MTB locations outside of the named stops might be interesting.

I'm well aware of bike security issues. The bike will be transported inside the vehicle and will come inside with me every night except for camping in Sisters but we have a system in place there. I haven't pulled it out yet to test positioning in the new vehicle but my hope is that it will go in then will be covered in a way that won't make it obvious that there is a bike inside. Because I'll have a dog with me any stops for food will be me eating on an outdoor patio or very quick runs inside to grab something to eat in the car.

I mean no place will be as bad as Denver and GJ but glad you had security in mind.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Baker City, Oregon was a great place for a pit stop or overnight during the 50 years I traveled between CO and WA, my last stop was in April 2020 trying to escape the pandemic. As an unsophisticated guy, Sumpter Junction restaurant was/is one of the best, food is fine and the train setup that runs through the place is wonderful. There's a park on the main street with grass, big old trees and a cowboy monument of all things. Small but pleasant place to stretch legs. Only negative for Baker City is that it is no longer dog friendly. Going through Pendelton? Going East you climb up into the Blue Mountains on the Interstate and at the top you'll see the Dead Man Rest Area. Always had to stop there just for the name. You can enter it going West too, pleasant spot and dog friendly.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
If you are going to Sisters from Idaho you will likely be jumping off 84 in Ontario in far eastern Oregon and taking either 20 or 26 across the middle of the state. Leave Ontario with a full tank of gas because it is desolate but beautiful across there.
If you go back through Jackson and want some adventure my son is spending the summer there as a guide on their via ferrata route.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@VickieH your pictures are reminding me of childhood vacations to Canon Beach! I loved playing in the tidal pools around Haystack Rock. I think I've posted the picture of me as a child eating oysters, that was taken at the cottage we used to rent that was right along the main road. I imagine I'll get over to the coast with family during my stay in Oregon, especially becuase I've made my nephew promise to take me fishing (his first love hobby) while I'm there. I'm currently debating whether I go south then east or east then south. Part of me wants to go back through Idaho and do a day or two in Sun Valley and then the same in Jackson WY. Your thoughts are really intriguing. It might depend on weather patterns.

@après Skier I haven't been to Bend yet but I've spent 2 Memorial Day weekends camping in Sisters which is only about 30 minutes away previously (Oregon family tradition that I started flying in to join) and I love the area. I'm looking forward to a couple of days in Bend as I've heard great things about it.

@AmyPJ Ogden is only a 1 night stop with a 6 hour drive the next day and I've got an 8ish hour drive from home so probably no biking there. Besides, I'm so out of shape that I doubt I'll be much fun to ride with. :doh:
Well dinner for sure is a go!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are going to Sisters from Idaho you will likely be jumping off 84 in Ontario in far eastern Oregon and taking either 20 or 26 across the middle of the state. Leave Ontario with a full tank of gas because it is desolate but beautiful across there.
If you go back through Jackson and want some adventure my son is spending the summer there as a guide on their via ferrata route.

Thanks. Fortunately, I can make McCall to Bend in one tank of gas but I'll make sure it's not close.

FYI

Hopefully that will turn by the time I get there in late May but all of my lodging in AirBnB's with cooking facilities or camping with family who have kitchens in their trailers. Plus I'm not yet comfortable with indoor eating and will have my dog and I'll be fully vaccinated by then.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Suggestion for even more fun - cycle it!
Oregon to Colorado Road Trip ON Mountain Bike June 2021
Only a bit more than my Scotland to England ("Jogle") ride in the trip diary section. Shouldn't take more than 25-30 days depending on start and end points!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suggestion for even more fun - cycle it!
Oregon to Colorado Road Trip ON Mountain Bike June 2021
Only a bit more than my Scotland to England ("Jogle") ride in the trip diary section. Shouldn't take more than 25-30 days depending on start and end points!

Yeah, somehow I think Ginzi might not approve of that idea.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are plenty of examples on Crazyguyonabike of people with trailers for their hounds!

Yeah, Ginzi would not be okay with that option either.

I thought I may have triggered "Overload" with my dumping of thoughts. Thanks to @RobSN, it seems my stock price is on the rise! :roflmao:

I love all of your thoughts and will definitely be returning to them as I get into the detailed planning. Also let me know if there's anything you'd like brought back for you (non-perishable/meltable of course) like hazelnuts, marionberry goods, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online