• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oregon to Colorado Road Trip with Mountain Bike June 2021

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two underrated trail systems, if your route allows:

1. Echo, Oregon. Trail system is 10 miles off I-84. Fun, easy xc trails without any scenery to speak of.

2. Vernal, Utah. The McCoy Flats trails are a blast.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Also let me know if there's anything you'd like brought back for you (non-perishable/meltable of course) like hazelnuts, marionberry goods, etc.

What a sweet offer, @coskigirl! There's nothing I need. I get back to the Northwest periodically to see friends and explore places I didn't get to while I lived there ... work got in the way, y'know. I hope you'll do a trip report. It will give me some additional locations/activities to consider for future trips.

What kind of fishing is your nephew planning for you? Only fishing I did there was when my brother and SIL visited. He and I took a charter out of Garibaldi on the first day of lingcod season in the fall. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Didn't hurt that I caught the most lingcod on the boat. There is a 2/person limit, so the captain kept taking the smaller ones from our bin to give to others. Lingcod is excellent eating. The big catch -- yes, also mine! -- was a 30-35 pounder. The other fish we caught was rockfish. Also very good eating, but hard to compete with the thick filets from that big lingcod. While fishing, they usually drop crab pots and you get fresh Dungeness. That particular day, the water was too rough for crabbing. Smaller boats did not go out. The Coast Guard was there monitoring boats going through the pass between the bay and the ocean. And I saw a whale while we were fishing. Great day all around. And the culmination of fishing for my brother as he fished the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf of Mexico that year.

There are seasons for lingcod. I don't know if that's just for the commercial side or if it applies to everyone, but they do monitor the population.

These were some of our lingcod catches:

83e8343c4c8ff64f76b0d3bf76252c0d.jpg

Thinking about your trip makes me really want to get back there. The Orcas and Victoria are also on my list, but will have to wait until the travel situation improves.

I hope you and Ginzi have some great adventures. It's still amazing how her life has changed in one short year. Reveling in the moment, not dwelling on the past -- she could teach us all a lot. She is such a lucky girl!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just me and my best girl exploring Bend. Tomorrow we head to Sisters where I see my dad for the first time in 17 months. I’ll be honest, during the first months of the pandemic I was scared I’d never see him again. I’m so grateful to be here.

75A08F90-7EE9-4430-B6E3-0C4693F25EF8.jpeg
FB7B7060-EB13-4CAC-A65D-64F1EB6DF2CF.jpeg
C5088ED7-7137-4AFF-ACD9-DA106E3141B0.jpeg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
How is Ginzi doing on the trip? Outdoors, she appears fascinated. Indoors, time to crash and recharge for the next outdoors adventure.

You had mentioned a dog as a hiking partner. Looks like she fits the bill as long as she doesn't get so excited her hearing turns off.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is Ginzi doing on the trip? Outdoors, she appears fascinated. Indoors, time to crash and recharge for the next outdoors adventure.

You had mentioned a dog as a hiking partner. Looks like she fits the bill as long as she doesn't get so excited her hearing turns off.

She’s doing well. She doesn’t like the long car rides but she’s digging camping and all of her new friends. Last night she put herself to bed in the tent while we were still up gabbing. Everyone is amazed at what a great dog she is. She’ll be a great hiker and possibly a great mountain biking buddy. Their is her tucked under my arm getting scritches after today’s ride while she watches for the deer that went by this morning.

5B1339CB-0101-475A-BE1E-8A2E15815735.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just now catching up with this thread.
Not sure if you plan on making it down as far south as Tahoe, but you're welcome to stay here if you do.
We can show you and Rezi(?) around.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just now catching up with this thread.
Not sure if you plan on making it down as far south as Tahoe, but you're welcome to stay here if you do.
We can show you and Rezi(?) around.

Thanks for the offer Ginsburg (Ginzi) and I are leaving Friday as I need to be home from an HOA meeting on the 15th but I think we're going to stay north and go through Pinedale Wyoming.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like she must have had a lot of fun. Seems you're giving her a good dog's life.

I'm trying. She's clearly a bit sad now that we're home but hopefully that will go away with time and new fun here. She was spoiled with family and dogs and a yard. It doesn't help that we came home to a bazillion degrees so mid-day walks and car rides are not happening.

Sponsor