• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Origin of the "bunny hill/slope"

tag

Booting up
Skier
Was chatting with a non-skiing friend and the term "bunny hill" came up and he asked why it's called the bunny hill. I really wasn't sure beyond a guess that it's the place where one would find ski bunnies. A quick google search only says that bunny slope means an easy run but doesn't say how the term came to be, other than it came into use in the 1960's. Is there a story behind this or is it just that simple; the bunny hill is where you find the ski bunnies?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm going sith Occam's Razor here. Also likely the reason why use of that term seems to be going by the wayside along with other words and phrases no longer en vouge..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It was from a ski hill where upper mountain runs were called things like Grizzly Maul, Eagle's Talon, Orca Death and Great White while the lower hill runs were called Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps, and I'm only guessing at this but... perhaps because ski bunnies tend to stick to the mellow terrain in order to stay close to the lodge/bar
;)
Screen shot taken from @Bob Barnes The Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 11.31.23 AM.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going sith Occam's Razor here
So what's the Occam's Razor answer then?

I'd guess - total guess here - that "bunny" was used for someone who isn't very skilled. So "bunny" hill would be the slope for those who aren't very skilled, and "ski bunny" was because women who were there for the guys generally weren't very skilled.

Coloradoski.com says:

"BUNNY HILL
While being one of the most used skiing-terms, the origin of “bunny hill” or “bunny slope” is difficult to find. Multiple theories exist, such as that the small nature of the hill resembles a rabbit's borough or that it refers to the jackrabbit looking nature of skiers (with the skis being the elongated feet), and the kids or novice skiers being “bunnies” compared to the older, more experienced rabbits. Perhaps most likely, the term is used as the hill is occupied mostly by novice children skiers, who use bunny as their preferred term for a rabbit."

Merriam-Webster says the first known usage is from 1966.

Otherwise a search for "bunny slope etymology" doesn't seem to find much.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So what's the Occam's Razor answer then?

I'd guess - total guess here - that "bunny" was used for someone who isn't very skilled. So "bunny" hill would be the slope for those who aren't very skilled, and "ski bunny" was because women who were there for the guys generally weren't very skilled.

Coloradoski.com says:

"BUNNY HILL
While being one of the most used skiing-terms, the origin of “bunny hill” or “bunny slope” is difficult to find. Multiple theories exist, such as that the small nature of the hill resembles a rabbit's borough or that it refers to the jackrabbit looking nature of skiers (with the skis being the elongated feet), and the kids or novice skiers being “bunnies” compared to the older, more experienced rabbits. Perhaps most likely, the term is used as the hill is occupied mostly by novice children skiers, who use bunny as their preferred term for a rabbit."

Merriam-Webster says the first known usage is from 1966.

Otherwise a search for "bunny slope etymology" doesn't seem to find much.
Every place I've skied, every circle of ski friends thought the 90s it's tied to "ski bunnies". Remember, this was the era of stretch pants.. It was also the era of Playboy Bunnies. A little before your time. Tricia and @Bob Barnes seem to be in agreement.

Edit to add.. I'd wager coloradoski.com is toning it down to be more en vogue.. But, people who were skiing when the term was used daily first think of the female ski bunny persona when the term was used. The people (both girls and guys) who were there to hook up stayed close to the lodge so they could be seen by everyone from there. That happened to be the beginner area at most places.. and add in they're not there to get better at skiing so they're not usually expert skiers anyway..

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
When I started skiing Ski Bunnies were a thing.
Now there's Shread Betty's so watch out!

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
Every place I've skied, every circle of ski friends thought the 90s it's tied to "ski bunnies". Remember, this was the era of stretch pants.. It was also the era of Playboy Bunnies. A little before your time. Tricia and @Bob Barnes seem to be in agreement.

Edit to add.. I'd wager coloradoski.com is toning it down to be more en vogue.. But, people who were skiing when the term was used daily first think of the female ski bunny persona when the term was used. The people (both girls and guys) who were there to hook up stayed close to the lodge so they could be seen by everyone from there. That happened to be the beginner area at most places.. and add in they're not there to get better at skiing so they're not usually expert skiers anyway..
Ahh, the wonderful stretch pants era, fine fine memories!!!!!!!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bunny slope predates the 90's by many years. I don't think they were being PC when describing it as a kid's slope and not a women's slope. It would be interesting to know which term came first.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I suspect the etymology has nothing to do with women and how they might be dressed and a lot more to do with being a term for a young animal who hence might be learning or developing or playing around a "bunny hill". And as bunny as a word can be traced to the 17th Century actually the animal had much more call on it than Hugh Hefner or associated male fantasies.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“Bunny Hill” has been around since late 60s. Just checked with Mom, age 84, and she replied instantly w the definition….”the easiest slope on the mountain.” She had stopped skiing by 1990. I refer to my pink and purple Tyrolia onesie from 1992 as my “Bunny Suit.” I think “Ski Bunnies” got their name from the appeal of those suits, although men certainly wore them too. Thanks to this nutty forum, I now appreciate that the proper name for such a suit is “Fart Bag.”

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
“Bunny Hill” has been around since late 60s. Just checked with Mom, age 84, and she replied instantly w the definition….”the easiest slope on the mountain.” She had stopped skiing by 1990. I refer to my pink and purple Tyrolia onesie from 1992 as my “Bunny Suit.” I think “Ski Bunnies” got their name from the appeal of those suits, although men certainly wore them too. Thanks to this nutty forum, I now appreciate that the proper name for such a suit is “Fart Bag.”
1656963433090.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If Jackrabbit Johansson was a bad ass, then beginner skiers (mostly children) would be bunnies.
I think ski bunny is completely different and maybe not related to bunny hill.

Story about Johanssen. He was an interesting man.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ski Magazine Encyclopedia, 1970
No linkage between bunny and bunny hill.
E5DA3875-8495-4F94-BC7D-1C4F1BFF50AC.jpeg

Last edited: