• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Other than leaning forward, how to tackle steep blue runs? (warning: long post with 3 questions)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I really wish Deb Armstrong made a whole series of vids with Alain Veth just skiing. No talking, no explanations no nothing, just show him ski, now that would be educational.

There's a way to have all the silent ski instruct vids you want.

Sorry, the vid has verbal instructions...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
unfortunately i don't have video of others filming me, but i. feel like i know what i'm doing wrong, and looking for tips

i can go down greens no issue, making either big or small turns, with either snow plow or sloppy parallel. i'm also not using poles so i can focus on turning with my legs. i can also partially lift my inside ski while turning. Currently i'm working on making good "dolphin turns"

Question 1: sometimes when i'm attempting parallel turns, it feels like the inside(uphill) ski is turning first before the outside(downhill) ski. Is this a symptom of leaning back to much? Also sometimes while turning, my skis feel unstable(at a higher speed, still on greens), like i'm not getting enough edge, so the skis are gliding not in a nice curved line. from my own helmet cam POV it looks hectic, like my skis are windshild wiper back and forth quickly and just gliding on the snow. it's not because i'm using a narrow ski right? (waist 74) not trying to blame it on the equipment of course

when i get to the blues, when the slope is steeper, i can make a couple turns(carving the edge into the snow) but i think i'm still leaning back too much because my quads get sore after a bit

Question 2: how do i approach steeper blue? while going down blues, is it constant pivot turns(and making small turns with the edge to brake?) should i still try to snow plow down the slope? it feels like when i approach it, the initial speed is already fast pretty fast, is it the same issue where i just have to lean forward?

Question 3: while going down blues, i was basically side slipping down from one side to the other, then fell at the side the side slipping down the other side. how do i make an actual turn on these steep slopes? any tips one turning so i don't catch outside ski edge and tumble down the slope?

or it's hard to tell what the issue is without a video of someone else filming me? had one lesson before but time for another lesson?

thanks!
First, you have to understand what makes your skis turn. When you tip a ski up on edge and pressure it, it will turn. You can have good lessons or bad lessons, but the physics never changes. The lessons are ways to help you learn how to move so that you will be able to (eventually and a long ways down the road in the case of some lessons), make the skis turn how you want them to. Your example of your inside and currently uphill ski turning first, shows that you have managed to tip it and put some weight on it. You need to do that to the outside ski too.

Note, as you get more advanced it is not really a bad thing to ski your inside ski farther inside the turn as the turn develops, but for now don't worry about how far apart your skis are, just be comfortable and think about tipping and pressuring your skis. It's a lot easier if you put most of your weight on the outside ski and keep just enough weight on the inside ski to keep it working correctly. I'm guessing, you have too much weight on the inside ski and not enough on the outside ski. Guessing is all we can do.

Getting yourself out of the wedge is a good thing. In a wedge, the right ski is trying to turn left (on its left edge) and the left ski is trying to turn right (on its right edge). Your skis need to be working together.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Granted the conditions were perfect today, I went into the day with no agenda and everything went right.I could point them down hill and just roll like water, hands out front, light on the feet. I don’t know if that helps but good conditions and attitude (or lack of) go a long way.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Other than leaning forward..."

There is no other.

The steeper the slope the more forward.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I think that just to say lean forward is too basic. While leaning forward you want to drive your shins hard into the boot's tongue and drive your big toe down into the foot bed on your outside ski.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
No, you want to have your weight over the center of the outside ski at the beginning and middle of the turn. That's what "get forward" really means. Hip over your outside ski, moving forward onto that new outside ski to begin the turn.

"Get over it man!"

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like you’re not ready for blues yet.

First things first - gear. Are you on a ski suited to your experience? Are you in a good pair of boots that are properly fit? Solve your gear issues first.
Beginner lessons at least up to the point where you can steer a turn, side slip, and hockey stop. Get your reps in.

In order for someone to help you they need to at the least have video but preferably be able to ski with you. Anything else is a crap shoot and most likely a waste of time for everyone involved

Good luck, stick with it and it will come. It’s going to take some time.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Brakes on the ski are in front of the toe and the accelerator is behind the heel. So yeah, you have to get your weight forward (or pull feet back) to slow down.

A1: Wobbling ski is sign you are aft. If the front tip is not engaged, it will wander until it does.
A2: Complete your turns. This means your legs point more across the hill at each turn. You may even go uphill slightly at times to bleed speed.
A3: ?? Not sure what you mean, but when I fall over sideways on something steep, it's almost always uphill and was the result of too much weight on inside ski (leaning to inside, leaning uphill). If you commit to the outside ski with your weight over it, the ski will grip and you aren't going to fall over it (well it is possible to 'highside' in a very high G carved turn, but don't think you are there yet).

Reactions: JCF

Sponsor