• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Other than leaning forward, how to tackle steep blue runs? (warning: long post with 3 questions)

peepo

Booting up
Skier
unfortunately i don't have video of others filming me, but i. feel like i know what i'm doing wrong, and looking for tips

i can go down greens no issue, making either big or small turns, with either snow plow or sloppy parallel. i'm also not using poles so i can focus on turning with my legs. i can also partially lift my inside ski while turning. Currently i'm working on making good "dolphin turns"

Question 1: sometimes when i'm attempting parallel turns, it feels like the inside(uphill) ski is turning first before the outside(downhill) ski. Is this a symptom of leaning back to much? Also sometimes while turning, my skis feel unstable(at a higher speed, still on greens), like i'm not getting enough edge, so the skis are gliding not in a nice curved line. from my own helmet cam POV it looks hectic, like my skis are windshild wiper back and forth quickly and just gliding on the snow. it's not because i'm using a narrow ski right? (waist 74) not trying to blame it on the equipment of course

when i get to the blues, when the slope is steeper, i can make a couple turns(carving the edge into the snow) but i think i'm still leaning back too much because my quads get sore after a bit

Question 2: how do i approach steeper blue? while going down blues, is it constant pivot turns(and making small turns with the edge to brake?) should i still try to snow plow down the slope? it feels like when i approach it, the initial speed is already fast pretty fast, is it the same issue where i just have to lean forward?

Question 3: while going down blues, i was basically side slipping down from one side to the other, then fell at the side the side slipping down the other side. how do i make an actual turn on these steep slopes? any tips one turning so i don't catch outside ski edge and tumble down the slope?

or it's hard to tell what the issue is without a video of someone else filming me? had one lesson before but time for another lesson?

thanks!

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Side slipping is OK, snow plow wedge turns are not OK. You have much control when side slipping. You have little control when plowing. Use poles as a timing and balance device, not for support.
1. You're probably leaning toward the hill. If so, you're doomed. It's hard to start out, but you need to feel like your head and shoulders are the first body parts down the hill. On a slope that is easy with just a bit of pitch practice with almost all your weight on your outside foot as you go through the entire turn. Do this so many times that it becomes a habit, then increase the pitch and keep practicing. Find your balance so you never sit back. You want your body center of mass (somewhere in your trunk) to be somewhere over your toe bindings. You want your center of mass farther forward when starting the turn to get the wide tips of those great 74mm skis to engage in the snow and pull you around the turn. You want to be balanced on the balls of your feet and you get forward by hinging at the ankles, not bending at the waist, not squatting down just to make your shins contact the boot tongues. So, you want to mainly be on the ball of your foot that is making the outside of the turn. You want to be almost off the foot that is on the inside of the turn. All the way through the turn. And...you want to turn your hips and shoulders toward the outside of the turn as you turn your feet to make the turn. Finish your turns! Practice by making smooth circular turns where you stop because you're headed somewhat uphill. Practice both directions making smooth C shaped turns. Get good at these, then move to slightly steeper slopes and make tighter smooth C shaped turns. Speed control is from tightening the radius and finishing the turn so you're almost pointed uphill before you start the next.

2. Get confident, get smooth, get balanced on easy blues and the steep bits on greens. Get good there, then do more of the same on steeper slopes. More leaning out downhill while turning. More forward to start the turn, the smoothly, gradually get back to center as the turn progresses, then forward again to start the next turn. Don't snowplow. That is for speed control in lift lines. Side slip if necessary. Practice side slipping. Slip with your weight centered. Then slip with your weight a bit forward and see what happens. Then slip with your weight a bit back. Recenter, smoothly shift from weight centered to weight forward to center to weight back to center. Get good at it. Face down the hill the entire time.

3. Get good at moderate slopes before you try to be good on steep slopes. Challenge yourself on either technique or terrain, not both at the same time. If you can't turn with confidence, then side slip. The only thing different about steeper slopes is just do more of the same good technique.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe several good lesson would resolve the issues at hand in a more expeditious manner.

TBH, the original post sounded like the standard techno babble usually found on the net. All the right terms used to appear knowledgeable but doesn't make much sense.

TS
P

peepo

Booting up
Skier
TBH, the original post sounded like the standard techno babble usually found on the net. All the right terms used to appear knowledgeable but doesn't make much sense.
haha! that's probably close to the truth. after having the lesson i've just been searching the net and YT for tips

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess the question and what you need to ask yourself is how are you learning, or planning to learn?

I heard you said you are going to learn via YouTube.
If you want to use YouTube, I don't think you will progress as well with the random tip videos. If you go this route, I suggest you need to find a whole learning series and work through the progression of drills and skills they talk about which will improve. Even if this means going back to green slopes to practice.
There are definitely a few series out there that are ok and at least better than random videos trying to just tell you about 1 magic tip.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
haha! that's probably close to the truth. after having the lesson i've just been searching the net and YT for tips

Take way more than one lesson to really improve.

it feels like the inside(uphill) ski is turning first before the outside(downhill) ski.

That one line tells me a lot about your current state of (mis)understanding of the technical aspect of skiing. Not quite there yet. Will simply be a waste of time for all involved.

TS
P

peepo

Booting up
Skier
That one line tells me a lot about your current state of (mis)understanding of the technical aspect of skiing. Not quite there yet. Will simply be a waste of time for all involved.
any hints? why is mentioning inside ski exposing my lack of understanding? what is the key points? what what i learned, we use outside ski to turn the opposite direction, so i was guessing i don't have the right posture to turn, so i was feeling the inside ski turn first. where's the misunderstanding of the technical aspect?

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Question 1: sometimes when i'm attempting parallel turns, it feels like the inside(uphill) ski is turning first before the outside(downhill) ski. Is this a symptom of leaning back to much?
(I'm just assuming OP has no funds for lessons or can't get a booking).

Keep your feet close. Doing this will mean the skis can step on each other or one will diverge far from the other (your Question 1 problem) IF the tipping angles are not the same AND the timing in which you tip the angles are not done at the same time.

Which brings me to advise number 2: Make sure the tipping angle of your left and right leg/foot/boot/binding/ski are always the same or as similar as humanly possible. Make sure you tip them at the same time. They made a device called Carv just to track this (called edge similarity) because it's very important.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
that's funny cos i was gonna edit my post to add it because i forgot in the beginning, was searching online what it was called lol
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

No no no!

That’d make your post belonging to the Ski School thread and that is a place just one lil step above the deepest Hell-a place where souls of sinner skiers are cast to be tortured for thousands and thousands of posts with horrible things as dorsiflection, pronation, supination, counter balance, G forces, centripetal forces and even stuff about gluteus muscles…it is THAT bad.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
any hints? why is mentioning inside ski exposing my lack of understanding? what is the key points? what what i learned, we use outside ski to turn the opposite direction, so i was guessing i don't have the right posture to turn, so i was feeling the inside ski turn first. where's the misunderstanding of the technical aspect?

Watch this channel:

Start with beginner lessons, watch,practice,watch,practice, rinse, repeat,repeat repeat..

Then take some lessons.

Then repeat again.

It will come to you.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lessons.You don't get what you don't pay for.

Unfortunately alpine skiing is one of those sports where doing what comes naturally is often counterproductive. You need some sound movement patterns to build on when you're starting out.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think part of your problem is trying to move to blue terrain too quickly. I have experienced that in "ski weeks" where participants want to "up" the challenge level every day. The problem with "upping" the challenge level is that first you need to gain competence on lower level terrain. Spend more time on green runs and practice skiing at different speeds - slower, then quicker, then slower again. Ski the same runs over and over so that you develop some body memory. Gain speed control before you move to more challenging terrain. You probably aren't ready for steeper runs yet. This is normal progression and you need to let it happen.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
What @Pat said.
We All learn new skills on the greens and blues and take that new skill to somewhere more challenging. Take an undeveloped movement to someplace challenging and all you will do is develop and reinforce bad habits.
It really is more fun when you have control.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Asking the question of you perceive you are doing vs what you are actually doing is two different things at this point (even advanced and expert skier skiers have this issue).

So.....:useless:or video is even better.

It is also the reason why coaches and instructors exist.

I am one for improving oneself but I did have good coaching/instruction at key times. I also never asked what am I doing wrong on a group setting. Either you know and work to correct it or you don't and someone needs to see it and correct it.

Again video for comment or instructors/coaches are good.

Sponsor