• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Outer thigh pain (not IT Band, but Vastus Lateralis) stance or technique.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
This past ski season I noticed I was getting quad pain while skiing that seemed to be concentrated on the outside of my quads. as far as I can tell it’s not IT band pain, and from looking up quad muscle diagrams, it seems that the likely affected muscle is the vastus lateralis muscle. In the past, it has seemed that I would get quad pain or soreness across the front side of my thighs. I did ski with new boots this year, Atomic Hawk Ultra 130 Professional boots and my prior boots were Solomon XMax 130s (The yellow and white ones preceding the SMax boots). I’m wondering if this can be attributed to stance issues or more of a technique issue. I do expect I’ll get my boot stance checked out at the beginning of next year. This summer I’m working on overall quad fitness, but also will probably get some ski lessons at the beginning of next year too. I’m wondering, if the folks here have any thought as to whether this is a technique issue that is putting excess strain on my outer thighs. And if I start next year with some lessons, is there anything I should bring to the attention of my instructor About this issue. I’m more of an advanced than intermediate skier, but would not categorize myself as a true expert. I do ski groomed blacks without difficulty other than speed control at times. I’m OK off piste, but am a mostly weekend skier in NH and don’t get off piste as much as I’d like to. Thanks in advance for any input and I might cross post over in the boot forum, to see if the bootfitters over there have any thoughts.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The stated forward lean on the S/Max130 comes in at 13.5 & the Hawx 130 measures 15 degrees out of the box. Likely the increased forward lean is causing enhanced demand on your quads. I’d back the Atomic forward lean to 13 to replicate the Salomon stance. Start there!

Best of luck and report back

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Very often where you experience the pain is not the problem. Your quads may well be compensating for the lack of strength or stability elsewhere (glutes, hamstrings, hips, lower back). Go see a good physiotherapist.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good ideas here so far. Check lateral cuff angle adjustments on boots? (Often incorrectly called canting.) If shins are being forced out of their natural orientation, you might have to use extra muscular tension to compensate.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"This summer I’m working on overall quad fitness,"
Work on overall total fitness including flexibility, and be sure to include core strengthening and hip flexibility. Yoga is great as are other flexibility routines. A yoga teacher who is also a physical therapists said, "We want our muscles loose and our joints tight. As we age our joints get looser and our muscles tighter. We need to work to reverse that." Reread post #3 by dj61.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I have pain that doesn't arise from an obvious injury, doesn't make sense as to why it hurts, is intermittent, etc., it's usually happening in my brain and not the place that hurts. Have a read and click around on this: https://www.bch.org/latest-news/2018/august/understand-that-all-pain-is-in-the-brain-says-dr/ I happen to know Dr. Fandstil and his approach has relieved me of several chronic and intermittent pain issues. It often involves an injury from which I have physically recovered. My wife was skeptical until her physical therapist told her that it was happening to her and Dr. Fanestil's techniques fixed it. None of that is to discount the possibility that it is an injury but this is worth a look. I could go on and on about this, PM me if you want more info. My $0.02, YMMV

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January