• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Outside Media acquires PinkBike, CyclingTips and Trailforks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Outside continues to grow, acquiring Pinkbike, CyclingTips, and Trailforks
The Colorado-based provider of active-lifestyle content and services has expanded its portfolio again, bringing on three new cycling brands.​

Outside, the Colorado-based leader in active lifestyle content and services (and Outside Business Journal’s parent company), today added three new brands to its rapidly expanding portfolio. The new properties include the mountain biking news site Pinkbike; Pinkbike’s mapping app, TrailForks; and CyclingTips, which Pinkbike acquired in 2019.

The acquisition brings Outside’s family of brands to 40. The new properties join the company’s already-robust quiver of cycling assets, including VeloNews, Peloton, Beta, Triathlete, VeloPress, and Roll Massif. The company also owns titles and businesses across the broader outdoor space, most notably Outside magazine, but also legacy titles like Backpacker, SKI, and Climbing.

Read more: Outside has unveiled its new membership platform, a one-stop shop for active lifestyle participants

The Pinkbike acquisition adds considerable readership and revenue in the cycling space, and thus adds momentum to the company’s Outside+ membership program. Outside+, introduced this year, offers enthusiasts various bundles of content, services, discounts, and other offerings for a $99 annual fee. The membership revenues complement Outside’s revenues from advertising, creating a business model for publishing that CEO Robin Thurston said is more sustainable than traditional media models in the long term. Adding Pinkbike, CyclingTips, and Trailforks gives Outside+ more critical mass, making membership purchases more desirable for enthusiasts and providing more readership for advertisers inside and outside the industry, Thurston said.

“This acquisition is a key moment in fulfilling our mission to build a vibrant home where active lifestyle participants will discover a wide range of content and tools to fuel their adventures. We’re very excited and honored to welcome the Burkats and their team to our family,” said Thurston. “As a lifelong cyclist, I’m a huge fan of these brands, which are perfect complements to our own cycling titles—VeloNews, Peloton, Beta, and Bicycle Retailer—and to our recent acquisition of Gaia GPS, the dominant mobile mapping app for hikers, backpackers, and overlanders. The marriage of these businesses creates a truly comprehensive resource for all types of cyclists and outdoor adventurers.”

Read more about the acquisition on Bicycle Retailer and Industry News.

LINK:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They keep growing and growing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Between Outdoor Media and and VerticalScope buying up forums. The whole information landscape is evolving.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
huh

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They also acquired athleteReg too. The site used to register for athletic events.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
VerticalScope bought a couple of firearm forums i was active on. They ruined them. Many left.
I imagine the average person who frequents a firearm forums doesn't like change. I am on a couple of forums that are now owned by VerticalScope. I cannot say they ruined any...homoginized, yes, ruined no. I do know many of the long time posters were upset when they moved the content from VBulletin to Xenforo but most of them got used to it pretty quickly. It is funny now if I stumble across a new forum, I can immediately tell by the layout if its VS or not.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I imagine the average person who frequents a firearm forums doesn't like change. I am on a couple of forums that are now owned by VerticalScope. I cannot say they ruined any...homoginized, yes, ruined no. I do know many of the long time posters were upset when they moved the content from VBulletin to Xenforo but most of them got used to it pretty quickly. It is funny now if I stumble across a new forum, I can immediately tell by the layout if its VS or not.
The issues were they were bought by TORSTAR and the old site owners became quite and new mods started to come on board and started to censor talk about firearms, and driving discussions about firearm policy. It became evident they were using the forums for content research for the paper (Toronto Star), which was/is very anti. Left a bad taste. I stay away from their sites the best I can. I stick with ones where the owners are a much smaller scale and have a personal stake or interest in what the site is about or supports.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It became evident they were using the forums for content research for the paper (Toronto Star), which was/is very anti.
Toronto Star still does some good investigative journalism...but some of the stuff they come up with..makes me shake my head. Keep in mind, we're pretty far left here..and it's head-shaking even for us! This was the paper that gave the platform for the former planner who suggested that people should not be allowed to own homes with more bedrooms than people..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not involved with those sites, but I'm pretty much a liberal conservative, so I can see the conflict in that.
This is why we try to be neutrally based here.

We love skiing and we love off season sports that keep us fit for skiing and we try to keep it that way.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Yes, indeed. I was wondering why no one had mentioned BikeReg/athleteReg
Whoa. I see Bikereg just sent a new terms of service.

I was one of their first customers as a promoter and also racer in their first year. And knew the founder. I remember suggesting he start a "SkiReg.com" since online signup for XC ski racing was lacking - he wrote back something like "Yes, we're already working on it.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Hopefully they make Trailforks easier to use...

Sponsor

Staff online