• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Over the glasses goggles (that actually work)?

Darin

Booting up
Skier
Has anyone actually had any luck finding a pair if OTG goggles that don't smash your glasses in your face. I was lucky enough to find a pair a couple of years ago. I think the brand was something like OX3 on the headband. They were only like 30 bucks and fit perfectly over my glasses without pinching them or pushing on them. I can't seem to find them again. The only problem is they don't have an interchangeable lense. I would like a lighter lense for cloudy or snowy days. I tried 2 different popular brands off of amazon that said they were OTG but they sucked. They push your glasses into your face and were very uncomfortable. I even made a youtube video on how much they didn't work. Looking for something under $100 range.
Thanks

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The Smith IOX variants work great for me, though they are above your price target.

Zeal also made a pair of OTG that I used before the Smiths, but that was about a decade ago (also retail above your price point).

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I have something from Giro that is fine for size. Glasses fogging is another matter, I think not to do with brand.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone actually had any luck finding a pair if OTG goggles that don't smash your glasses in your face. I was lucky enough to find a pair a couple of years ago. I think the brand was something like OX3 on the headband. They were only like 30 bucks and fit perfectly over my glasses without pinching them or pushing on them. I can't seem to find them again. The only problem is they don't have an interchangeable lense. I would like a lighter lense for cloudy or snowy days. I tried 2 different popular brands off of amazon that said they were OTG but they sucked. They push your glasses into your face and were very uncomfortable. I even made a youtube video on how much they didn't work. Looking for something under $100 range.
Thanks
There are long, in-depth threads on skiing with glasses on this site. They are worth searching out.

Short version, it's can be very challenging to find a solution, and there are a lot of variables from person to person in terms of what works and doesn't.

At your price point, I have had good luck over years with the Scott Storm OTG. Don't know if they're still made. Lens changes are not quick and easy with that model, however. I ended up with two pairs.

In general it's true, unfortunately, that the better quality goggles with more convenient lens systems are well above $100.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not OTG, but a couple of my ski buds have prescription lens inserts for ski goggles and really like them. They fit inside any goggle with little spring arms to keep them in place. Apparently less fogging than with glasses under goggles. My wife got a pair last year. They all got them through their optometrist, but it looks like you could order them yourself if you have your prescription.

I don't know the brand they all got, but here's one search brought up:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe get a smaller pair of glasses just for skiing? So they would fit under goggles easier.
There are several on-line stores making cheap(er) eyeglasses. If you normally wear bifocals, get a single-vision pair. That will be cheaper and better suited to skiing needs. And you don't have to be careful not to bang up your good pair.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Maybe get a smaller pair of glasses just for skiing? So they would fit under goggles easier.
There are several on-line stores making cheap(er) eyeglasses. If you normally wear bifocals, get a single-vision pair. That will be cheaper and better suited to skiing needs. And you don't have to be careful not to bang up your good pair.
Yup, this is what I’ve been doing for years. As long as the goggles have a little extra depth they often don’t even need to be OTG. Always best to try them with your helmet.

These are actually Scott jr. OTG’s but fit my face, glasses & helmet perfectly YMMV…
FCE6C4E9-5654-4F6E-83C9-A184F961A16C.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
The Oakley Canopy I wear over sunglasses. I doubt it would work with 1970’s style mobster glasses, now back in style. It’s also out of production but still around. Likely the Flight Deck xl would have similar room.

These-
7EE813A8-4F1A-4D72-BB23-35C99C9F1031.jpeg

Fit under-

B292042F-AEA0-438F-80FC-8489206C43D7.jpeg

This.
This was dark on dark, high May sun, high altitude, barf prevention.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oakley Canopy. $113. on Amazon. Buy extra lenses if you can find then. These goggles are being discontinued. Cat crap on your glasses and all is good. Love mine and have very little issues with them.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
there are a lot of variables from person to person in terms of what works and doesn't.
I think one of the biggest variable is the size of the glass frame.

I'm very nearsighted. So my glasses are thick. Just so that my nose AND NECK don't get painful, I picked the smallest frame practical. Result? Just about any goggle would work for me. Even goggles not advertised as "over the glass" fits over my small glass frame without pushing it into my face.

If the OP has relatively large frame glasses, it'll be more challenging to find goggle that works. What works for others may not work for him.

In general it's true, unfortunately, that the better quality goggles with more convenient lens systems are well above $100.
That's true regardless of over-the-glass or just conventional goggles.

James

Out There
Instructor
Often nearly the sane to buy the whole goggle with lens you want then just a lens. Oakley Canopy is a good example. I’ve bought two with lens instead of buying just the lens. But some lenses no.
$90-

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think one of the biggest variable is the size of the glass frame.

I'm very nearsighted. So my glasses are thick. Just so that my nose AND NECK don't get painful, I picked the smallest frame practical. Result? Just about any goggle would work for me. Even goggles not advertised as "over the glass" fits over my small glass frame without pushing it into my face.

If the OP has relatively large frame glasses, it'll be more challenging to find goggle that works. What works for others may not work for him.

That's true regardless of over-the-glass or just conventional goggles.
To reiterate, get a cheaper pair of glasses just for skiing. Small rugged frame, smaller lenses, no bifocals. Unless you have a really, really strong prescriptions, there are four or five onlne eyeglass places that can help you for around $50, maybe even less with sign-up-for-email coupons.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
To reiterate, get a cheaper pair of glasses just for skiing. Small rugged frame, smaller lenses, no bifocals. Unless you have a really, really strong prescriptions, there are four or five onlne eyeglass places that can help you for around $50, maybe even less with sign-up-for-email coupons.
Doesn't work for everyone.

My prescription is not the same on both eyes. In fact quite different. So no off-the-shelf glasses would work at all. As for bi-focal? I don't need it due to how near-sighted I am. I simply take off my prescription glasses to read. But others might not be able to. So they're stuck with a bigger size frame?

I don't pretend to know what would work for the OP. Only that it's different issue for different people. (some people have issue with fogging. Again, I didn't have it too bad myself). So what works for one may not work for another at all.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Often nearly the sane to buy the whole goggle with lens you want then just a lens. Oakley Canopy is a good example. I’ve bought two with lens instead of buying just the lens. But some lenses no.
$90-
Hey @James, Do you own this goggle with this lens? What kind of light would it be best for? What helmet? They say fits “most” helmets.
Orange doesn’t really fit my color scheme but seems like a decent goggle for the price, I may need to try it out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey @James, Do you own this goggle with this lens? What kind of light would it be best for? What helmet? They say fits “most” helmets.
Orange doesn’t really fit my color scheme but seems like a decent goggle for the price, I may need to try it out.
There’s plenty of all white or black ones available. Never used thst lens, but for Utah is probably good for non storm days.
The Canopy is no easy lens swap. But once you get through the cursing stage, it’s not that bad. Still, it’s old school bend the frame.

I've only used it with Smith. But honestly, in the East, I always have goggles, but use them as little as possible. We pretty much only need low light. In Oakley Canopy- persimmon, hi persimmon (has flash), Prizm Hi pink. Some like yellow.

$120- north dakota

Olive, UK £90

VR28 is a neutral color 23% lens.

White, $113 They have blk
Anazon

Lens guide. Not all of these were even available.

With the Smith Vantage:
43F80EB2-3672-40D7-A89B-831D7C236CA4.jpeg