• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Over the glasses goggles (that actually work)?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lifelong glasses wearer. Lasik not an option. Goggles and sunglasses ALWAYS an issue. I didn't like the inserts. A couple years ago I finally forced myself over several hurdles and went with single vision distance contacts + reading glasses, like mdf and the Grumps. It's far from a perfect solution, but, like Democracy, it's better than the alternatives. At least for me. (Constantly reaching for the readers is a huge pain.) I only wear them when skiing, and sometimes cycling.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lifelong glasses wearer. Lasik not an option. Goggles and sunglasses ALWAYS an issue. I didn't like the inserts. A couple years ago I finally forced myself over several hurdles and went with single vision distance contacts + reading glasses, like mdf and the Grumps. It's far from a perfect solution, but, like Democracy, it's better than the alternatives. At least for me. (Constantly reaching for the readers is a huge pain.) I only wear them when skiing, and sometimes cycling.
Don't worry, I'll read the lunch menu to you!

ToysRUs

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I wear nothing but Smith Turbo Fans.
I have for years. Like so many years I can't count.
That little fan makes a huge difference but you still need to keep them on as much as possible and keep the climate between your face and the goggle lens consistent.
I would wear my contacts but they just get so dry so fast.
I've had fan goggles on paintball masks and off-road motorcycle goggles for years and years and years.
You just can't be the air flow.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the Smith Turbo Fan is now just a fond memory. I don't see them in the current Smith line up.

When I got my first helmet with visor vents I found that I used the fan much less often. The vents pull air through the goggles and do a good job of keeping the eyeglasses fog free. Also a big help to keep the glass clear is to try to avoid sweating. Layer up, but not too much. And, I know, some people will just sweat no matter what. I refer back to the Julbo SuperFlow vent system goggles.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lasik is a no go for me. I checked into it years ago. My close up vision is perfect so Lasik would make it impossible for me to see close up. I don't want to lose the ability to read or to see peoples faces close up. I wear contacts and carry reading glasses like many others here. I am planning to try the goggle inserts as soon as my current supply of contacts runs out. Personally, I never could find a pair of goggles I like on top of glasses.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I decided to try a visor helmet after all. We'll see how it goes. I picked up the Atomic linked below which has two positions, one of which is for glasses that allows the visor to sit 8mm further away from my face. If the visor doesn't work you can take it off and just use goggles. One thing for certain, it's one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn and snugs down very nicely. I picked up a low light visor to go with the one that comes with it.

Edit: I've read mixed things about how well it performs when it snows but I've decided that on those days I'll just use my current helmet and goggles combo. So starts my helmet quiver ;)

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the Smith Turbo Fan is now just a fond memory. I don't see them in the current Smith line up.

When I got my first helmet with visor vents I found that I used the fan much less often. The vents pull air through the goggles and do a good job of keeping the eyeglasses fog free. Also a big help to keep the glass clear is to try to avoid sweating. Layer up, but not too much. And, I know, some people will just sweat no matter what. I refer back to the Julbo SuperFlow vent system goggles.
And it seems maybe the IO/X has gone away as well? If so, I guess I better get a few spare lenses.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Just wondering how much of your face is covered while you ski. You need to have your breath blow away from your face and not get blocked by some face covering.

Next week will be my first time wearing glasses under my goggles. I just bought new Glade goggles, because of the great rating they got in Ski Magazine. I'll try and remember to report back on how they perform.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
For the record, I purchased Glade Fathom+ goggles on-line direct from them. Received a nice “Thank You” email from them. As well as a follow-up when the goggles shipped. The goggles came with two lenses, one for low light.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am similar, wear both contacts with also glasses for reading and a bit of distance/stigmatism correction. Had a pair of OTG goggles a long time ago that worked, but never could find anything since, so I just ski without the glasses or wear prescription sunglasses in the spring.

TS
Darin

Darin

Booting up
Skier
I was about to start ordering different styles from amazon and just keep ordering and returning until the right ones came along. Now I dont have to because I came across a pair of SPY brand at costco. Came with a low light orange lens and a darker grey lens (interchangeable). Just had to trim a little bit of foam where the glasses cut out is and my 5.4" wide frame fits in great. All for 39.00.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 18

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Day one today. I'll say I get a reflection of my glasses frame inside the goggles. But as the light got lower, that seemed to go away. Rain is coming tomorrow after noon time, I'll see if there's less reflection tomorrow.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not OTG, but a couple of my ski buds have prescription lens inserts for ski goggles and really like them. They fit inside any goggle with little spring arms to keep them in place. Apparently less fogging than with glasses under goggles. My wife got a pair last year. They all got them through their optometrist, but it looks like you could order them yourself if you have your prescription.

I don't know the brand they all got, but here's one search brought up:

I have these and absolutely love them. Never fog up, and you can barely tell there are glasses under them. Not really cheap, but what about skiing is?

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Day one today. I'll say I get a reflection of my glasses frame inside the goggles. But as the light got lower, that seemed to go away. Rain is coming tomorrow after noon time, I'll see if there's less reflection tomorrow.
The lighting was much lower today, light mist, with fog halfway up the hill. Buddies said they couldn't see much definition of the snow either. As I got near the edge of the trail near the trees, I could see a little more of what we were skiing on. One buddy even said he was glad I wear a yellow jacket and helmet, He could see where the trail was as he followed me. LOL

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The lighting was much lower today, light mist, with fog halfway up the hill. Buddies said they couldn't see much definition of the snow either. As I got near the edge of the trail near the trees, I could see a little more of what we were skiing on. One buddy even said he was glad I wear a yellow jacket and helmet, He could see where the trail was as he followed me. LOL
Trees are your friends on days like that.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Picked up these Atomic goggles from a friend & have been wearing them the last few storm days.
They came with 3 lenses, I chose the yellow & they have been great. Fit over the glasses & with my helmet just fine.
63D35553-9A70-442D-938F-47862477B1ED.jpeg

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Just to follow up about Glades customer service. I received an email from the owner yesterday, asking me how I liked the goggles. After I replied telling him how my ski days went, and some of the things I noticed and thought about the future ski days. He replied that he's looking forward to hearing my feedback as the weather conditions change and the skiing gets better. Here in New England, we ski in a large range of weather conditions.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Yesterday I skied with my 4 or 5 year old POC orange lens goggles, there was decent sunlight, not a low light day. I didn't see much of a reflection of my glasses on the inside of those lenses. Today was a bright sunny day, so I put the bright sunlight lens in the Glade Fathoms+. There was very little or no reflection on the inside. It took me a couple of minutes to get used to seeing the snow a different color. The bright sun lens tints the snow a light shade of purple. But the snow definition was great. Even later on, as the sun angle got lower and the shade began to be more than sun shine this time of year, the bright sun lens gave me great definition of the snow. There was even one dark area where I couldn't see much at all, but when I told my buddy about that, he said he couldn't see anything in those spots too. He has Smith I/O's low light lens in and wears glasses while skiing too.
Once my eyes adjusted to the low light, the definition of the snow was still great in the low light with the bright sun lens on.

So far, I'm pretty happy with these Glade goggles. Glad I bought them.

Sponsor

Staff online