• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pain below knee

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seeking info...I feel a sharp stabbing pain about 2" below my knee on the outside lateral side, only when I pressure it. For example, moving into a yoga child's pose, or leaning onto my knee against the floor. It's a specific spot, I marked it with red squiggly lines in the yellow circle on the diagram. I'll have to get it examined but I was wondering if you've experienced anything similar. TYIA!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.06.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 7.06.55 PM.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 56

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I've struggled with that pain for years. I'm told it's where the IT band connects. It's called something like "Gurdy's tubicle" or maybe "Gurney's."

Looking at your diagram, I'm not sure. But your verbal description sounds like my pain. I've found that babying it for awhile and then stretching the area gently is really helpful. An exercise involving crossing one leg across the other while sitting up, and leaning over, helps a lot. I am hopeless at describing; maybe tomorrow I can find a version of this online. PT helped, but only with a solid PT, not the one I had at first!

ETA: I couldn't do child's pose for a long time. Apparently the IT band doesn't really want to stretch. Sitting for decades seems to have been the cause.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The iliotibial band is a strip of gristle that runs from hip to knee. "The IT band runs along the outside of the thigh, from just above the hip to just below the knee, and is made up of fascia, an elastic connective tissue found throughout the body." I'm not sure this is what the original poster is describing. In any case, a visit to an orthopod and perhaps physical therapy might be well worthwhile. Yes, the IT band does stretch, very slowly.

Sponsor

Staff online