• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pain Cave Pics.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA: Black Friday 25% off Rouvy makes an annual subscription $108.

316110086_10101976087287068_2328734210294440014_n.jpeg

I've done a black friday annual subscription for the last few years, and for just $9/month, it's always ready to go. I use it more than when I was paying $15 month-to-month and would unsubscribe when most of my riding was outside. Cold, hot, dark, smoky... lots of reasons to ride inside.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DC Rainmaker put together his great annual list of Black Friday deals for outfitting your pain cave:

If I needed a new indoor cycle, the Stages smart bike with power meter cranks would be at the top of my list, and $1800 is a great price:

I didn't realize Zwift just started selling a smart trainer, which looks to be the best deal out there at a $499 retail price:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think I'm going to stay *out* of the pain cave for another season. Last winter made a huge difference in my bike handling over the summer.

Sure, my power and weight were not where they could have been but that's on my motivation not the temps.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, some sad pain cave equipment news. Saris/Cycleops is a casualty of the pandemic, chip shortages, and poor inventory management. They were a great US-based company that engineered, built, and supported rock-solid cycling products. I've owned many and have always been happy.

Quite an interesting business story with a sad ending:

We'll see how the new owners of the brand do going forward:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just saw this great deal on a very well-reviewed and rock-solid bike. Only 12 hours left:

1676057439802.png

That was $1799 during their black Friday sale. :geek:

The post-covid crash seems to be hitting the indoor cycling market hard. Wahoo is also in trouble:

Good time to be a buyer if you need anything.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meh, it's 65F out and dry enough for MTB. Was there a winter? I think I blinked.
Just wait until next winter! It's been more than six weeks since I've been comfortable riding outside here with all the snow and ice.

If you are a bottom feeder like me, there's also a ton of used indoor equipment for sale dirt cheap.

I picked up this Cycleops Phantom 5 in December for $200!!

PXL_20221127_184100036.jpg

It was a $2500 bike new, but it doesn't work as a smart bike on Zwift, so a guy sold it to his friend cheap during Covid. The second owner's wife decided he wasn't using it enough, so she put it up for sale and was probably willing to pay someone to take it away.

I converted it to manual resistance, and now the kids use it on Zwift. They love Zwift, and kids' accounts are free!

If anyone wants to know the ins and outs of Cycleops Phantom 3 and 5, and 300/400 Pro I'm happy to help. I have three now. ;)

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started indoor cycling in September with the goal of cutting some weight and hoping to help with prep for the ski season. Basically doing back to back Peloton PowerZone programs for the past few months. I thought it would help my skiing but didn’t realize how much it actually would. I guess the bar was low. :D Just came back from 4 days of skiing. In years past it would have been a struggle to go a full day from day 2 on. Total game changer this year… 4 days of skiing was a piece of cake with just minor soreness each morning that went away quickly, I have a Concept2 also that I’m looking to start working into the rotation.

Last edited:

Sponsor