• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pain Cave Pics.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
My First "ride" of 2021 on Ful Gaz. A nice ride up the Maui Coast. I was thinking of @tam today while climbing on the 17% section. :).
If you haven’t ridden that area in real life, Maui has some amazing riding FYI, video doesn’t do it justice. Just after where the Ful gaz ride ends there is a great little banana bread stand.

Reactions: Ron

skibot1000

Booting up
Skier
Real soul crusher yesterday. Zwift is amazing because you just don't stop pedaling and when you get back out to the real world biking everything feels easier.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Revive..
My significant other has scheduled a fair amount or triathlons for herself this coming year and looking to get a head start on the biking before our roads are clear enough to ride on. A buddy is sending me a kickr core.

Is zwift, fullgaz, other the ‘best option’ for someone who isnt really interested in group rides but more solo rides/workouts? Can multiple users use one account, at different times?

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Is zwift the ‘best option’ for someone who isnt really interested in group rides but more solo rides/workouts? Can multiple users use one account?

I would suggest "FLUGAZ" over Zwift if she likes solo rides. FULGAZ is a interactive program that is based on 4K Go Pro Rides that work with your Wahoo trainer (and others) showing key data including speed, heart rate, Cadence, Watts and more. it adjusts resistance based on actual ascent or descent. I has much better adjustability for creating a more realistic ride experience. They are shot in countries throughout the world and you can choose rides by distance, amount of climbing. take a ride up the H'alp D'Huez or do an easy site seeing ride in South Africa.

Fulgaz does have multiple user accounts. It also has training programs and more

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Also, most systems (I'm a Garmin guy) will allow you to create a simple interval workout at specific watts and then use the bike head unit to run the trainer in "Erg Mode" I can ride year round in FL so the only time I'm on the trainer is interval day.

@Ron glad to see you take an interest in the Concept 2 rower. There's a universe of competitive "A" types around the world posting their best "pieces" if you like that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the rower is my Wife's. I should use it more but neither of us are competitive. One reason why I don't like Zwift is the constant interference with other riders. I ride for myself. Im not the fastest but certainly not the slowest. :).

training, yep, you can do that on Fulgaz with their FTP and other training programs, I think it also works with Training Peaks but due to the nature of the 4K and go-pro realistic rides, I often do 2 hour rides and not get bored.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do you guys really relate to 'real world' scenery that well?

I mean, especially on interval day, I might as well be watching a Sufferfest-style World Tour spliced-together sprint fest with giant orchestra, or a scrolling digital block readout. Group suffering >>> Realistically Scenic suffering - for this schwitz critter anyway.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean..it was nice to watch? But not like I felt like I was actually there or something. And really, it's not really motivational for me. Yeah..the suffer is the thing..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, if someone is relating to their realistic-ish scenery, I'm totally prepared to listen. Especially if it's available on VR goggles.

Of course, then we need a thread on massively schwitz resistant VR goggles. 'Coz I'd melt mine just like I melt brake and shift cables.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Revive..
My significant other has scheduled a fair amount or triathlons for herself this coming year and looking to get a head start on the biking before our roads are clear enough to ride on. A buddy is sending me a kickr core.

Is zwift, fullgaz, other the ‘best option’ for someone who isnt really interested in group rides but more solo rides/workouts? Can multiple users use one account, at different times?

when you register your kickr, you’ll get a free trial for their SYSTM training app (formerly known as Sufferfest). Give it a try and see if the training programs work for you.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Revive..

Rouvy allows multiple users on one account and is well priced. I've been using Rouvy for something like three years. I like it as it has a nice mix of the features of the others: video routes (user-generated videos), augmented reality routes (VR on top of user videos), and structured workouts. There are also group rides and races, but I've never done those.

Before Rouvy, I used TrainerRoad, which is the best for structured workouts. If she wants to get fast, following a TrainerRoad training plan is the way to go. Their training plans are what differentiates them and make it a fantastic service. They don't have video or VR, though.

The big question: What does she want to watch while riding the trainer? Netflix, videos of rides outdoors, or VR animation?

There is no correct answer, and everyone is different. Whatever gets you on the trainer is the way to go. I like watching Netflix and using a structured workout and do that 90% of the time. I'll occasionally listen to a book or podcast and watch a video of a route.

These are a couple of Rouvy video routes I use. They are rides I do IRL all the time and provide nice motivation to keep going to the top (click on the video tab to see what they look like):

This is what a Rouvy Augmented Reality ride looks like:

You can search Rouvy for rides near you to see if someone has uploaded a video. There's a good chance the triathlon course she's doing is uploaded, and she can use that to train the same course. With a smart trainer, power and speed will be adjusted so it should be the same effort.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
The big question: What does she want to watch while riding the trainer? Netflix, videos of rides outdoors, or VR animation?

Probably not Netflix, I think she would like to be able to do some VR workouts and possibly ride some(parts) of the Ironman courses. Now that I've realized the Ironman course part of the equation, that will probably reduce the selection of services available. Ironman doesn't give away anything for free, so they probably license with one or two services for exclusive course access..... More research to be done..

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably not Netflix, I think she would like to be able to do some VR workouts and possibly ride some(parts) of the Ironman courses. Now that I've realized the Ironman course part of the equation, that will probably reduce the selection of services available. Ironman doesn't give away anything for free, so they probably license with one or two services for exclusive course access..... More research to be done..
Ironman recently bought Fullgaz:

I'm doubtful Ironman will be good long-term for FullGaz as an independent training platform.

In any case, I wouldn't pick an app just for the Ironman courses. I've pre-ridden some shorter courses on Rouvy, and it's helpful once or twice leading up to a race, but it's not foundational to a training plan. Not sure I could sit on my trainer for a long course. I'd think about maybe just subscribing to the Ironman/Fullgaz app for a month before the race unless it's the best otherwise. Rouvy used to deal with Ironman, and many of the Ironman courses have been uploaded by Rouvy users.

Does she have a coach? If not, this is an excellent book with training plans she can follow on any of the apps.

That book has taken the place of the TrainerRoad training plans for me. You can find a lot of the prescribed workouts from the 80/20 book in Rouvy created by users, like this one of many I made:

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot about the most popular thing to watch, spinning classes! We also pay for a Peloton subscription for my wife. Peloton has a bring your own bike app-only subscription for $13/month.

I'd rather watch The Expanse with the smart trainer automatically adjusting the resistance while following a structured workout.

Last edited: