• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pain Cave Pics.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I got my bike all set up with a Wahoo Kickr and Kickr Climb. Amazon Basics fan does a great job 50' screen to get decent wrap around feel when riding on FUL GAZ. My wife wanted a rower which I ended up really liking.

If you are a Zwift person, I recommend giving FUL GAZ a shot. its POV rides shot in 4K. it interfaces with Wahoo for watts, Cadence, HR and does elevation on Climb. Pretty realistic experience.
DE1DF6B3-FED6-4BC6-BE25-54F90A643B07_1_201_a.jpeg
l

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't leave @Ron hanging out there by himself, so here's mine, such that it is. In a good off-season, I spend very little time in here, so keep it simple. A Kettler Racer 7 and a big old treadmill.

Note the cameo appearances of portions of my wife's piano and music shelf!

IMG_3569.JPG

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Using FUL GAZ. its much more interesting to me. I get bored with ZWIFT. Climbing on FUL GAZ is much more realistic. and I like the POV of a real ride. You do need to have your monitor close to get the full effect.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
no, I think I have a trial for it. I like riding alone. thats probably why I dont like Zwift so much. all those riders are kind of annoying to me.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
you really need decent internet to run FulGaz well. Unfortunately my limited internet didn’t play with it. It is definitely more realistic looking than Zwift, but Zwift with Tacx Neo 2T works better on slower internet.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Ha I looked at those Ful Gaz rides and one of my standard quickie post-work rides is on there, practically turn for turn... in fact the ride almost passes my house!
I enjoy Zwift, but may need to check out Ful Gaz for an occasional change of scenery. With my trainer, I’ve become more interested in riding stats like watts and cadence, which on the road or trail I couldn’t give a crap about, so enjoy a program that tracks your stats and ride history. That stuff also gives me a much greater appreciation for how insanely strong and fit pro riders really are.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So who is using Zwift and who is using Rouvy? Comments?

Both. And also Tacx and FulGaz. I like these very much as the experience is more realistic and it is far more relaxed than the crowded Zwift.

@Ron : What are the handlebars on the Trek? They look very nice.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Using FUL GAZ. its much more interesting to me. I get bored with ZWIFT. Climbing on FUL GAZ is much more realistic. and I like the POV of a real ride. You do need to have your monitor close to get the full effect.
So I finally tried Ful Gaz.. really cool, but I must have set something wrong because as soon as gradients kicked above 10%, it was basically unrideable. I did a ride that I’ve ridden in non-virtual real life (West Maui), and there’s a short 1/2km-ish section where gradient is 15-20%. It’s a grunt no doubt, but 100% rideable and in Ful Gaz I could barely turn the pedals with how much resistance it was applying. My FTP is only 3.0 w/kg (170w) and I am light, but damn that was nowhere close to normal road feel on steep climbs, so I’m assuming I didn’t do something right. I don’t have any issues on Zwift when it kicks into higher gradients so don’t think it’s an issue with my trainer (Kickr Core). Would love to do some of the Euro climbs, but if that’s how it handles steep gradients I’ll need quads the size of an elephant!
@tam which ride? I would love to do it!
Sorry missed this. It’s the only ride if you search for Banff. It’s a beautiful loop that I can start from my front door and be back in an hour. I haven’t ridden it on FG yet but scanned the video and can even tell when they filmed it based on some clues in the video.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
go into your settings and look at how it applies force on climbs. Fwiw, 15-20% is a very hard climb (the difference in a 15% to 20% is significant) . One reason why I left Zwift was because climbs are too easy and unrealistic.

So Glad you like Fulgaz! I will check that ride out. thanks.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Heh, apparently I had my weight overstated by 45lb, or 36% of my actual body weight... so just a hunch that's why I couldn't turn the pedals! Will give it another go now that I've got it set up right. Don't get me wrong 15-20% is incredibly steep and hard, but I also regularly clear that for short sections on normal rides, so was frustrated that I literally could not turn the pedals on the Fulgaz ride. I'll still mostly use Zwift because I like to have more control over the ride, but nice to mix it up with real video and real routes.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I’ve been using Zwift in the hopes that I’ll have legs when outdoor riding season begins. I’ve found that it gets a little tedious after two hours or so; I don’t know how people log centuries on this.

A68BDFB5-A742-4343-9D99-02F100E41C56.jpeg

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I got my bike all set up with a Wahoo Kickr and Kickr Climb. Amazon Basics fan does a great job 50' screen to get decent wrap around feel when riding on FUL GAZ. My wife wanted a rower which I ended up really liking.

If you are a Zwift person, I recommend giving FUL GAZ a shot. its POV rides shot in 4K. it interfaces with Wahoo for watts, Cadence, HR and does elevation on Climb. Pretty realistic experience. View attachment 115815 l
Like the rower:thumb:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the rower is my wife's but its really cool. there are virtual rowing apps too.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Pain Cave?
Why do cyclists seem to go there?
I've been a cyclist all my life and I have no interest is seeing how much pain I can endure. What does interest me is getting outdoors on a great bike and exploring the rural countryside and ENJOYING the day.

One gear lower is always better than one higher!

It seem your mileage may vary...

Reactions: tch
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Pain Cave?
Why do cyclists seem to go there?
I've been a cyclist all my life and I have no interest is seeing how much pain I can endure. What does interest me is getting outdoors on a great bike and exploring the rural countryside and ENJOYING the day.

One gear lower is always better than one higher!

It seem your mileage may vary...

The term comes from those who train on their trainers for the upcoming season. Typically, it takes a good 3 months to get into peak cycling condition so many people start early to get ahead. Its a good pain :).

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I've got a wind trainer set up but I keep it in a room not a pain cave. It gets VERY little use. I would rather ski, snowshoe, hike, snowmobile, spiked tire dirtbike, etc. than ride a stationary bike. If I do these other things my form on the bike is just fine come April/May. I find it a nice change of pace to NOT pedal all year long. Too many other great things to enjoy!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
My First "ride" of 2021 on Ful Gaz. A nice ride up the Maui Coast. I was thinking of @tam today while climbing on the 17% section. :).

Attachments

• B51D6AE0-9745-4200-B433-DB74871B3D87.jpeg
    B51D6AE0-9745-4200-B433-DB74871B3D87.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 6849FEDD-E67D-4C96-BF26-D6FF7CD03FFB.jpeg
    6849FEDD-E67D-4C96-BF26-D6FF7CD03FFB.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 64F9BA60-C036-4920-8CDB-DF7A87C497E5.jpeg
    64F9BA60-C036-4920-8CDB-DF7A87C497E5.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 16

Sponsor

Staff online