• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Panorama or Revelstoke?

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Going to Calgary next week. Have time for one or the other but probably not both.

(to be exact, 10 days to spread between Big 3, Pano and Revy. Don't feel like too much driving around, so prefer 2 center instead of 3)

What is each of them known for? Not for?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pano is better for intermediates/advanced. More groomers, more lifts, more variety, less snow.
Revy is better for experts and tree skiers. Longer, steeper vertical, hike-to bowls, more snow.
For me, as an older, advanced but not true expert skier, I find Revy a bit limiting since I’m not going into the trees much and not hiking to drop into double diamond bowls.
if you want steep and challenging— Revy.
If you want a more well-rounded experience— Panorama.
I’d imagine Panorama is a lot closer to Calgary.

How about Fernie? Nice middle ground b/w Revy and Panorama, with strengths of both.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's late season, and Pano tends to hang onto winter conditions a bit longer than parts of revelstoke.

Revelstoke gets more than double the snowfall. It has much better tree skiing.

Pano is mostly known for long tree cut runs. Good fall line, but not overly steep. It's a great place for groomers, but the snow can be firm. The tayton bowl in Pano is good for off piste, but other areas in the region have better off piste options in my opinion.

Lots of condos on the hill in Pano...staying on the mountain is affordable.

The hotel on the hill at revelstoke is pricy, but the town is more affordable. The town of revelstoke is more interesting than invermere (Pano) and much closer to the hill.

I think Revelstoke is a more interesting hill, and more interesting place to visit. Regardless of ability, I would recommend revelstoke for a mid winter trip. For the spring, the choice is less clear. If you prefer groomers, revelstoke has a decent collection...probably enough for 2 days, but Panorama has more of this terrain. Panorama is much close to Sunshine and Lake Louise as well.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agwith @tch and @Mike Rogers with their descriptions as I was just in Revelstoke and Banff(Big3 and Kicking Horse) for 5 weeks. Stayed in Banff for the Big3 and KH as The Big3 always run HUGE hotel deals and there is a KH shuttle from Banff hotels for $20 more than a lift ticket costs.
I’m about to book 2.5 weeks in Banff next year and it’s $86 CAN a night for a king bed room at a nice hotel downtown on the shuttle bus routes!

So instead of Revy, I’d maybe ponder Kicking Horse along with the Big3/Panorama as it’s about an hour past Lake Louise and offers more open groomed runs and intermediate accessibility into some of the bowls. Have never been before this year to KH and was very impressed with the variety of terrain. The $149 Canadian/$159 weekends Canadian shuttle including lift ticket from Banff hotels make it a great option.

plannersteve

Booting up
Skier
I was at Panorama end of January for two days. At that time, their snow coverage was poor with plenty of places to hit rocks if not careful. They have gotten more snow since then. I stuck to groomers as the off piste was a brutal frozen chop. They have a nice variety of groomed runs. The Mountain Friends there will guide you around the mountain. They are fun people and helped me find the best snow. Slope side lodging at Panorama is very reasonable by ski resort standards.

Revelstoke has a lot more snow. I've only skied there once for two days. The place is huge. I don't believe they have a host program like Panorama. When I was there, the whole mountain was in a cloud and the guide would have been very useful. Probably less of an issue this time of year. Revelstoke is a fun town. I stayed at the Sandman hotel while there. The shuttle bus to the mountain runs right by the hotel.

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regardless of ability, I would recommend revelstoke for a mid winter trip. For the spring, the choice is less clear.
Trouble is, Big 3 is a better late season destination. That being the primary focus, all my trips to Calgary/Banff are in March/April.

Looking at the forecast for the coming week, there's not much new snow on the horizon. I wonder how well the glades ski so long since the last time it snowed.

So instead of Revy, I’d maybe ponder Kicking Horse along with the Big3/Panorama as it’s about an hour past Lake Louise and offers more open groomed runs and intermediate accessibility into some of the bowls.
I've been to Kicking Horse. Not saying I dislike it. But it's pretty one dimensional, steep, really steep, and insanely steep! Just not my cup of tea. Once and done.

(Also, in low visibility days, it's pretty limited).

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been to Kicking Horse. Not saying I dislike it. But it's pretty one dimensional, steep, really steep, and insanely steep! Just not my cup of tea. Once and done.

(Also, in low visibility days, it's pretty limited).
Then I’d predict you’d like Panorama much more than Revy then, so do there and the Big3 then.
Revy known for trees and steeps.

Reactions: tch
TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Then I’d predict you’d like Panorama much more than Revy then, so do there and the Big3 then.
Revy known for trees and steeps.
Thanks. That's what I thought from earlier replies.

I do like trees, in moderate pitch and not too tight. But it sounds like Revy is steep in general. Steep trees I don't enjoy.

And trees usually also need to be in the right snow condition to be enjoyable, which I'm not sure I'll get in the week coming up.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Pano also saves you the not so scenic drive down KH canyon and the nailbiter that can be Rogers Pass, in favour of a scenic drive through Yoho down to Radium.

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pano also saves you the not so scenic drive down KH canyon and the nailbiter that can be Rogers Pass, in favour of a scenic drive through Yoho down to Radium.
How bad is Rogers pass, assuming in a non-stormy day?

I've heard something about it. But is it nailbiter in general or just in bad weather?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
How bad is Rogers pass, assuming in a non-stormy day?

I've heard something about it. But is it nailbiter in general or just in bad weather?
It's not too bad. Most of the issues are caused by storms. There are also closures due to avalanches. It's two lanes (or two lanes plus a passing lane) most of the way, and some of the truck drivers can be a bit aggressive on the downhill, but it's a major route that is well maintained.

I ski up in the pass 20-30 times a season, so I've driven the road (at least the eastern half) quite a bit.

The biggest issue with the road is closures for avalanche control...or clean up. They don't happen all the time, and the closures are usually only a couple of hours at a time, but if you have to catch a flight in Calgary and road east from Revelstoke has an extended closure, it might be stressful. It's even worse when the roads going west and south are closed too.....you don't want to be Revelstuck!

Edit...I recommend proper winter tires from October 1 to April 30. Rental cars often come with all seasons.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's not too bad. Most of the issues are caused by storms. There are also closures due to avalanches. It's two lanes (or two lanes plus a passing lane) most of the way, and some of the truck drivers can be a bit aggressive on the downhill, but it's a major route that is well maintained.
Had a little bit of a tank slapper on some black ice on a downgrade as a result of a truck forcing me a bit faster than I would have liked. Fortunately able to steer into the centre lane and regain traction on the snow. He backed off a bit after that.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
tank slapper????

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any lodging establishment in Pano particularly worthy of special mentioning for good value?
I was just there with a group. We stayed at the Approach Hotel. Very basic . (No fridge or microwave, bring your own coffee maker) but quite decent, and right on the hill.
And don't get the idea that there is no challenging terrain there. Everything in the Dream Zone and Taynton Bowl is!!

Last edited:

plannersteve

Booting up
Skier
Jeez, I so hate that!

LOL!

Any lodging establishment in Pano particularly worthy of special mentioning for good value?
Check VRBO, several condos at Panorama Springs for reasonable amount. I just booked three nights at Panorama Springs for $125 per night. Hoping to catch the RK Heliski trip on Monday. RK flys right out of Panorama, which is another plus to staying there.

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Check VRBO, several condos at Panorama Springs for reasonable amount. I just booked three nights at Panorama Springs for $125 per night.
The prices are indeed very attractive, if I were to stay a week (or even 5 days).

But for a short stay of 2-3 nights, the $100+ "cleaning fee" really kill the deal. :(

plannersteve

Booting up
Skier
The prices are indeed very attractive, if I were to stay a week (or even 5 days).

But for a short stay of 2-3 nights, the $100+ "cleaning fee" really kill the deal. :(
Yes, that cleaning fee is painful. I managed to find a place that didn't charge one. I had never seen that on VRBO before.

If you don't mind driving up from Invermere, the Copper Point Resort there looks reasonable. And it has a hot tub which is must for my skiing accomodations.

TS
C

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lucked out with a pretty nice price at Panorama Spring right at upper village. Even with the added fees, it's still quite reasonable for what I'm getting,

The condition of the mountain, on the other hand, is pretty abysmal.

Sponsor

Staff online