• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Parallel shins

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reilly McGlashan is back with WC MA vids.

Always enjoyed his take on things.

There is a bit of commentary from Reilly and from others here on parallel shins (or otherwise). Reilly is non-judgemental - after all winning is pretty damn good. One comment from some-one who appears to be a knowledgable poster was interesting:

1606344528204.png

Seems to make sense. But whilst racing is one thing and free skiing something else, is ski school technique over-focused on parallel shins?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

There is a bit of commentary from Reilly and from others here on parallel shins (or otherwise). Reilly is non-judgemental - after all winning is pretty damn good. One comment from some-one who appears to be a knowledgable poster was interesting:

View attachment 115938

Seems to make sense. But whilst racing is one thing and free skiing something else, is ski school technique over-focused on parallel shins?

I would say so. It's not even taught in the other teaching system that shall not be named. In fact, the O-Frame position (where it's clear that the turn has been led by inside ski tipping) is lauded to a high degree.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Parallel schmarallel. I'm a big proponent of perpendicular shins - perpendicular to the ski's base, which of course is angled to make the ski go where you want it to go at that particular instant in time.

Notice how skis diverge as you approach an apex, because lateral separation. Notice how skis converge after an apex - same reason in reverse.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier

I don't think there's any downside to having parallel shins, until you get to very high edge angles, whereas there are a few downsides to excessive a-framing or sequential releases. Obviously Petra can ski spectacularly well with an A frame, but I personally will not be trying to emulate that part of her skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 115938

Maybe 10-15 yrs ago. Doesn’t seem so now. It was ridiculous then too.
Then there’s the level shoulders thing.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Striving to be totally non-judgmental--determining if shins are parallel can be difficult because what one sees is affected by the angle of the view, and also by the degree of tip lead. I think that the most objective things to observe, and the things that directly affect ski performance, are the angles of each base to the snow, and the amount of tip lead, in each case at each of the many points in a turn cycle.

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
No emphasis from me. I look very A framed. With my legs together there is no light showing between my upper legs yet my feet are about 6-7" apart. My boot cuffs are canted 3 degrees medial both inside and outside the boot. I can have equal edge angles and look very A framed.
I can do strange looking things like ski with my legs tight together, my skis 6" apart, use angulation just fine and steering with the lower leg only. With a 3 degree cuff cant medially my skis are 1/2 degree inside edge when in a normal stance width without under boot canting.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 115938

I watched the video and my comments:
The variations in stance from person to person, and male to female, vary widely. Height, proportions, hip width, leg angle.....the list is long.
I think it is impossible to compare skiing styles without considering these factors.
Petra Vlahova has a very different physical stance than, say, Lindsay Vonn, or other top current WC skiers.
Her technique and stance are in many ways a result of these factors.
Trying to evaluate the outcome without acknowledging this can lead one to erroneous conclusions.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Parallel and divergent/convergent all lead to further examination. Nothing is absolute. Look at the impact and if it desirable or not.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Parallel and divergent/convergent all lead to further examination. Nothing is absolute. Look at the impact and if it desirable or not.

I presume by "impact" you mean ski-snow interaction. I like what you are saying. But but are you sure most examiners don't dock candidates points in a skiing exam if they sometimes exhibit an A-frame or a stem at turn initiation, despite what the skis are doing with the snow?

Would you describe some examples where you would not dock points when these things occur, and explain what's happening that overrides the negative stuff associated with A-frames and converging/diverging tips. Let's throw in sequential turn entry as well.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January