• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Passenger All-Weather Tires with 3PMSF aka "4season" tires discussion

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still a big CC2 fan. Sunday I drove up to Mammoth on my new set, the actual oem size for my car, rather than the alternate, but decently close, size I bought two years ago. There was as much snow on CA 395 north of Bishop as I’ve ever encountered, two lanes of well packed snow. I drove at a conservative 40-50 mph, passing all the other vehicles with chains (I really LOVE driving right past all those chain-up pull-outs). The only two vehicles which passed me were a Mammoth logo'd Subi and a State car. And Minaret Road up to Main Lodge was also solidly packed snow. Totally without drama. For my application, only occasionally encountering actual snow, the CC2 suits me perfectly.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Still a big CC2 fan. Sunday I drove up to Mammoth on my new set, the actual oem size for my car, rather than the alternate, but decently close, size I bought two years ago. There was as much snow on CA 395 north of Bishop as I’ve ever encountered, two lanes of well packed snow. I drove at a conservative 40-50 mph, passing all the other vehicles with chains (I really LOVE driving right past all those chain-up pull-outs). The only two vehicles which passed me were a Mammoth logo'd Subi and a State car. And Minaret Road up to Main Lodge was also solidly packed snow. Totally without drama. For my application, only occasionally encountering actual snow, the CC2 suits me perfectly.
Love it. Ski commuting really isn’t very difficult as far as winter conditions are concerned and unless you drive a 2WD vehicle, all weather tires are more than sufficient.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
man, I really wanted to try the CC2 when they came out but didn't need a set with last set (with Goodyear Weather Ready's) just a few months before noting the CC.

Now I'm trying to talk my SIL into them, but will say prices sure took a beating. It may be the specific size but they and other tires sure have popped in price.

However, I'll state I don't think you can get into a new set of "good" tires for less than $900 and more closer to $1K. At least if you're pushing over 255s, 18+ rims.

but it is amazing the comfort level there is just to stop faster than those in front of you when needed. (and hoping those behind you do too)

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
After running the Toyo Open Country ATiii last season on my other truck, I bought another set for a different SUV.
Today on the I-80…not one slip, slide or hiccup.
9470DC94-DD34-4284-8048-9BA686279AD2.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After running the Toyo Open Country ATiii last season on my other truck, I bought another set for a different SUV.
Today on the I-80…not one slip, slide or hiccup.
View attachment 189123
Wild that's I-80, looks so small

Guess that happens with snow and remoteness :)

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love it. Ski commuting really isn’t very difficult as far as winter conditions are concerned and unless you drive a 2WD vehicle, all weather tires are more than sufficient.
The coastal California climate is also a lot more temperate, so full nordic winter tires are not appropriate in those areas, where it might be 45 degrees F in the morning, but usually average around 60-70. The soft compound isn't suited exacerbated by the dense siping causing unstable tread blocks, doesn't give you confidence in the coastal CA weather, so for 70% of the week, nordic winter tires are not appropriate.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well all you lucky Crossclimate owners my size still on back order. However the alternative choice the Defender LTX M+S have been just fine driving thru the last AR event in so cal that shut down the 101 / hwy 33 and then navigating the 395 in between the multiple storms. @cosmoliu I actually thought the 395 was worse in December! I drove up 1/17 after the last storm and expected it to be snowy roads much sooner than it was. But agreed, lots of packed snow / ice to navigate.

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well all you lucky Crossclimate owners my size still on back order. However the alternative choice the Defender LTX M+S have been just fine driving thru the last AR event in so cal that shut down the 101 / hwy 33 and then navigating the 395 in between the multiple storms. @cosmoliu I actually thought the 395 was worse in December! I drove up 1/17 after the last storm and expected it to be snowy roads much sooner than it was. But agreed, lots of packed snow / ice to navigate.
I would have gotten Nokian WR G4 SUV again, but the CC2's were on sale, making them cheaper.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I would have gotten Nokian WR G4 SUV again, but the CC2's were on sale, making them cheaper.
I'm waiting for CC2 for our van having made a last purchase as compromise and knowing them well now on our two other vehicles.

Friends who are Nokian fan boys now admit our two sets of Michelins age better. Some have had SFQ (____ for quality) Russian made Nokia tires in addition to tires getting noisy before spent or the Michelin.

Michelin availability made me look but I'll wait based on one set of of our CC2 still quiet and performing when the competitors became annoying. The Tire Rack crowd sourced data tells a pretty good story of the Michelin and Goodyear 3 peak tires as good. Our experience mirrors that.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm waiting for CC2 for our van having made a last purchase as compromise and knowing them well now on our two other vehicles.

Friends who are Nokian fan boys now admit our two sets of Michelins age better. Some have had SFQ (____ for quality) Russian made Nokia tires in addition to tires getting noisy before spent or the Michelin.

Michelin availability made me look but I'll wait based on one set of of our CC2 still quiet and performing when the competitors became annoying. The Tire Rack crowd sourced data tells a pretty good story of the Michelin and Goodyear 3 peak tires as good. Our experience mirrors that.
I'll take better performance in deep heavy snow over the longevity of the Michelin CC2. The long tread blocks of the CC2 don't dig through heavy snow as well as tires with smaller tread blocks. Eventually, I'll be getting a second set of wheels anyway, to use the 20" wheels for 3-seasons and 18" for the winter season.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll take better performance in deep heavy snow over the longevity of the Michelin CC2. The long tread blocks of the CC2 don't dig through heavy snow as well as tires with smaller tread blocks. Eventually, I'll be getting a second set of wheels anyway, to use the 20" wheels for 3-seasons and 18" for the winter season.
Opposite of my experience and I still drive on ski area service roads 1-5 days a week as well as get people with other setups unstuck. The experience of a few brands plus truly dedicated snow tires leaves me really impressed with the CC2s. Some close associates with regular day and road trips all have same Subaru with the competing tires. They are coming around to how good the CC2 are if you are not getting full-on dedicated snow tire/wheel combo.

The overall performance makes them fantastic and I would go back to dedicated snows before the compromises with some of the CC2 competitors. Even still being involved with a ski area operation the amount of time not on the service roads makes the CC2 fantastic. No noise or inferior handling the others have. This shows more between our cars - a Japanese putt putt and German performance wagon.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The CC2 can't even handle the dry. 2 wheels spinning on "road rage" (Sport) mode on my Hybrid, and that's on the dry asphalt... imagine needing to do a quick merge into heavy traffic, and the CC2 loses grip that easily.

To bust a multiple point U-turn through this heavy wet snow... it's easy to get 3 wheels spinning, with low throttle (on Eco mode, which I normally drive). The CC2 don't exactly inspire confidence in the winter in conditions other than after the plows come through (that's where these tires excel, and the video reviews demonstrate that). It's not an isolated incident either. Happened at Mammoth last year (fresh tires), after the blizzard and getting my car out of the condo parking space into a cleared space, since the plows push a berm on you, then at Brighton leaving the parking area (had to put Trail mode on) to get to the road and back into its natural habitat, plowed roads.

1670810011015-png.185630

Plus the fact that the siping pattern is different when you get to 8/32" tread, where it resembles the original CrossClimate tells you it doesn't have full depth sipes. You no longer have the stepped pattern siping in the center of the tread, and part of the shoulder siping is worn away flat.

The whole point of having a AWD SUV in CA is not to put on chains/cables in a R2 condition. So, if I have to drive through a blizzard, I might have to kneel down and put cables on. The only time the Nokian WR G4 SUV performed worse than the CC2, was when it was hovering around the WSI mark (snowflake indicator)

Nearly worn for snow by thisistan, on Flickr

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, @snwbrdr most other people don’t seem to be having the same problems you do. Maybe it isn’t the tires.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Can confirm the Yokohama Geolander GO55 are not good in polished snow. Car with that , Suburu Ascent, stuck on driveway hill, car with cc2’s, no problem.

The last time I had Geolandars on (2015), they were beatable on polished snow by Toyo performance tires. Not a terribly high bar in my book.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
You know, @snwbrdr most other people don’t seem to be having the same problems you do. Maybe it isn’t the tires.
Maybe they only drive on roads after the plows come through and they haven't had much miles on them also.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
As much as our first set of CC2 seemed really impressive early on, I hesitated too much cheer or promote knowing the way their competition performed and especially as time passed. Now we have multiple sets and for one car are about 6 - 7,000 miles past where competitors get noise and lose performance. Many associates have reached that conclusion.

We still have to aid, pull or winch people getting stuck in all seasons on our ski club service roads. This season it has become clear this somewhat new and growing category of year round 3 peak tires aids that. Some long-time Nokian fans are also agreeing Michelin has a winner.

Competition is good. If something shows signs of beating this tire when I need new ones I'll likely switch brands again.
Maybe they only drive on roads after the plows come through and they haven't had much miles on them also.
That could be true but our family and several associates have a lot of miles with these tires now. Also, I see these and the competition you like are all very good. We see a pattern at our ski facility now that these tires are on the market a while. We are not having to rescue so many on snow days or in mud. There's a whole lot of that distinctive pattern.

It's fine if you like a different brand but your comments contradict good info such as crowd sourced reviews and professionals tests. It's wonderful that we have good choices if you don't like these.

James

Out There
Instructor
The last time I had Geolandars on (2015), they were beatable on polished snow by Toyo performance tires. Not a terribly high bar in my book.
Yes, really a statement on how bad the Geolanders are. Worst is someone else’s Diesel F350 pick up with BFG AT tires on it. It can’t make it up without locking the front hubs. Almost anything stymies it.

After the person getting stuck in the last snowstorm at 1am and costing $300 to tow out, we may be making progress on the “tires matter” front. But then the snow goes away, and one forgets.

TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Competition is good. If something shows signs of beating this tire when I need new ones I'll likely switch brands again.

Bridgestone new weather peak is coming right for the king and taking direct shots at cc2 in their marketing and testing claims, inviting direct comparisons.
Will be interesting to see how the real consumer reviews play out after a little bit.
Sizes may not be as available for SUV/crossovers though.

Sponsor

Staff online