• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Passenger All-Weather Tires with 3PMSF aka "4season" tires discussion

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Bridgestone new weather peak is coming right for the king and taking direct shots at cc2 in their marketing and testing claims, inviting direct comparisons.
Will be interesting to see how the real consumer reviews play out after a little bit.
Sizes may not be as available for SUV/crossovers though.

Very good to see the competition.

A big yes on the crowd-sourced reviews. Our first set of CC2s was gambling without that but a destroyed tire and pandemic availability meant act fast. It worked out including for the different sizes and vehicles they are on.

I have not yet replaced the van tires so will look at the new Bridgestone. We use AWD wagons for most skiing but it is a blast to do van trips with fat bikes and skis.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Bridgestone new weather peak is coming right for the king and taking direct shots at cc2 in their marketing and testing claims, inviting direct comparisons.
Will be interesting to see how the real consumer reviews play out after a little bit.
Sizes may not be as available for SUV/crossovers though.

For sure "Will be interesting to see how the real consumer reviews play out after a little bit.".

There's extreme BS in linked item (not you) where the fine print mentions Primacy against the all weather tires. We've had and still have Primacy concurrent with the CC2 and Conti DWS rated. They are no way in same league. They compare a luxurious freeway sort of tire against the all conditions tire.

The WeatherPeak is not available for our van needing tires but I did catch this review. It is interesting they mention the amount of thought needed because while not 3 peak and 3 peak rated both the Primacy and CC2 are very predictable no surprises sorts of tires.

I'll watch product availability through the month and consider something else, but will need new tires on our van before a late season (early spring?) trip with fat bikes and skis. With that constraint it still seems hard to beat the CC2 or Goodyear competition for in the category.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The WeatherPeak is not available for our van needing tires but I did catch this review. It is interesting they mention the amount of thought needed because while not 3 peak and 3 peak rated both the Primacy and CC2 are very predictable no surprises sorts of tires.

I'll watch product availability through the month and consider something else, but will need new tires on our van before a late season (early spring?) trip with fat bikes and skis. With that constraint it still seems hard to beat the CC2 or Goodyear competition for in the category.
Keep in mind, that assessment is not based on winter conditions testing.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a very positive long-term review of the CrossClimate 2:

I'm very much enjoying my CC2s. They are good on snow, but I feel that review misses the difference on ice between the CC2 and a true winter tire. I'll post a full review at some point.

Reactions: nay

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s not exactly luscious feeling on the dry.
I also take issue with “no hydroplaning concerns”. There should always be concerns. It’s not a miracle tire.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I also take issue with “no hydroplaning concerns”. There should always be concerns. It’s not a miracle tire.
Having driven them in snow and rain I think they are good in the snow and great in the rain. I will be putting them to the test driving home in the rain from the Oregon coast later today.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I thought I was ready for a luscious bike tire when I switched to Vittoria Corsa Next 2.0s. Supple. Elastic. Accurate. Fast. All those things went into 'luscious'.

Several iterations of cockpit changes later to quiet down the steering, the thought of a similarly luscious car tire just plain scares me.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the CC2 in the wet. I've enjoyed playing with them on my RWD fun car. I think they are as good or better in the wet as the many previous grand touring Michelin all-season I've run.

Wet is where the CC2 really shines over a winter tire. X-ice are fun in the wet because you slide all over the place, not the safest. The CC2 has a nice progressive grip in the wet, emphasizing grip. Much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Be nice to know how the CC hydoplaning compares with the Pilot 4S and the Pilot All Season 4S.
I don’t know about comparisons but in the 2+ years of them on my car I have driven in a lot of wet conditions and have yet to experience any hydroplaning, even in conditions I know would have caused it with my previous tires.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I'm very much enjoying my CC2s. They are good on snow, but I feel that review misses the difference on ice between the CC2 and a true winter tire. I'll post a full review at some point.
That article also linked out to the AT class with related review of the Falken AT Trail. They seem similarly enthused, particularly noting prowess in deep, wet snow.

I was really surprised last April how that mild looking tread ate up frame deep wind compacted snow.

I’f draw the same conclusions that it is broadly better than a winter tire except on wet ice and the lateral traction feedback is far superior to the Bridgestone DMV2 SUV - that tire has grip but you can’t feel it, the feedback is floaty and not confidence inspiring.

I always come back to the same place that I wouldn’t run a dedicated winter tire unless it was studded. The current breed of all weather tires simply has a better overall performance envelope.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

Love the note that says "not a paid promotion", as the tires were provided free of charge, but he paid to mount the tire.

In other words, the author still got the tires for free, so that's already a bias, unlike an appliance magazine that buys all of their test samples from subscription costs, so it reduces the chance of manufacturer cheating.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be nice to know how the CC hydoplaning compares with the Pilot 4S and the Pilot All Season 4S.
I suspect the longitudinal grooves do a lot better.
The issue I had was with standing water. There’s also a long hill on a highway that gets sheets of running water down it. You wouldn’t think an uphill like that would be an issue. Maybe they’re 1/4 inch deep, could be more with the ripples.

Ride quality on dry of the CC2 is slightly better than the Vredstein Quatrac Pros. I think. Certainly nothing dramatic. But the Quatrac Pros seemed to have quality issues. One of them disintegrated down to the steel, starting to lose air. Maybe 35k? I thought it was just another slow leak which they were plagued with, even after remounts.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
maybe the quote really is in relation to a dry day ;)

just like a good politician or quoting statistics .. all in the spin

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Anyone have the AW365? How do they do in the snow.

I heard they might be made at a factory in Thailand

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Does anyone know where I can find the governing document that specifies the requirements or the standards that a 3PMSF tire needs to have to qualify for the rating?

Related there must be a certification checklist or report document that shows the data that was recorded for a given tire to pass and receive the rating / approval. Are these available to the public?

Who is the governing body over this topic, is it the National Highway xyz? or similar?

Thanks

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
ASTM F1805 – 16, Standard Test Method for Single Wheel Driving Traction in a Straight Line on Snow- and Ice-Covered Surfaces

I did also find
which suggests it might be F1805-18, but either way, I don't have the appropriate subscription to download the actual ASTM docs.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello

Does anyone know where I can find the governing document that specifies the requirements or the standards that a 3PMSF tire needs to have to qualify for the rating?

Related there must be a certification checklist or report document that shows the data that was recorded for a given tire to pass and receive the rating / approval. Are these available to the public?

Who is the governing body over this topic, is it the National Highway xyz? or similar?

Thanks
Didn't you create a thread on BITOG asking the same exact question?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Anyone know anything about the new Hankook Kinergy 4S2?

Seems to have done well in the tests. See the video on this page.
I realize I'm quoting and replying to a two year-old post.

My BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT that worked well in March/April storms getting up and down steep sometimes only plowed to one-lane backways to Heavenly with 36K miles were on the wear bars with less than 45K. When I bought them at Costco over Michelins LTX, I didn't think I'd need the tire mileage I'd gotten from previous sets of Michelins as I'd be replacing my SUV, but it's still running good and reliable, so I had Hankook Kinergy 4S installed and an alignment yesterday.

I'd talked to Costco a couple of weeks previously and they accepted my non-Costco rotation records and that tires had worn evenly, but should soon be replaced. Costco did not have any 3Peak tires in my size and surprisingly said they would give me refund for not getting 65K miles from the BFGs even if I bought elsewhere as long as I returned tires to them. I got one more fair-weather trip to Tahoe out of BFGs, being careful on frosty early AM roads. My net cost including CA sales tax for four 235/70-16 tires was under $400 after $267 refund from Costco and assuming I get $60 Hankook rebate that was extended until 12/22. I saved $20 by not paying tire disposal fee and another $20 by getting install and balance cut from $30 to $25/tire. Alignment was another $95 and I need to go back to get rear done if my mechanic can unfreeze toe bolts that tire shop could not.

I realize these are not dedicated snow tires, but I never got stuck or went came close to going off snowy or icy road on BFGs. And the Hankooks should be much better in rain and seem to corner better than replaced tire. The tread pattern looks similar enough to Michelin Cross Climates that both place where I got them and Costco tire manager mentioned it. Will post again when I get them in snow and have enough experience to see if gas mileage changes.

Sponsor

Staff online