• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pastrami, Corned Beef, or Montreal Smoked Meat -- What's Your Pleasure?!

What's your preference?

• Pastrami

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Corned Beef

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Montreal Smoked Meat

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sauerkraut was never one of my favorite food. Found it to be too harsh and astringent. That said, the St. Bernard grill at Taos serves a mean sauerkraut with juniper berries. Really mellow and flavorful. Intended to be served with the bratwurst yet good enough to put on top of anything else that comes off the grill.
I like the idea of naming eating establishments in ski towns for all of the community see. Although as we know the quality of food is subjective to taste and if the chef changes so does the food. Has anyone started a thread about eating places near ski resorts? I seem to remember a thread about bars in ski resorts just not restaurants.

Uncle-A

Skier
Skiing must be over for most of us because we have two food threads that are the most active. This one and the Seafood thread.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing must be over for most of us because we have two food threads that are the most active. This one and the Seafood thread.

Definitely for most.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ahhh, I'm still skiing at Killington, but it makes me hungry!

There is a Delaware institution called Capriotti's that serves great sandwiches. They make the expected cheese steaks, hoagies, meat ball, etc., but are famous for their fresh roasted turkey and roast beef hoagies. They claim to be the originator of the Thanksgiving on a bun sandwich called the Bobbie after the aunt that invented it. But the Capastrami is a grilled pastrami hoagie with Swiss and cole slaw. A personal favorite.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a Delaware institution called Capriotti's that serves great sandwiches.
They have franchised. We have them here in Reno. The bread is lousy, Jersey Mikes is better.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I voted for MSM.

I love me some sauerkraut, as well as red cabbage.
Both my parents are from Austria so I grew up on all that ethnic food. Every family prepared there red-cabbage a different way depending on their regional recipes ( Austrian, German, East German, Polish, etc ). My one pal has Hungarian parents and grew up with his food traditions. When we do our annual ski trip to Austria/Germany, we both agree we are not sure if we go for the skiing or for the food/drink/culture :thumb:. We are booked-in for 2023 and can't wait to get back there next February !

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Further thread drift: where does smoked salmon fit in the preserved/treated meat pantheon??
I only ask because all the meats products mentioned pale in comparison according to ...... :ogbiggrin:

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread drift alert...

What is the difference between Russian dressing and Thousand Island dressing? As part caveman, I like both.... but have wondered what the difference is? (I could Google it, but the information provided here is so much more entertaining....lol)

Russian dressing does without the horrid sweet pickles in Thousand Island dressing.

Back in my MN years, my favorite Reuben was made with Russian dressing (Grandma's Saloon and Deli IIRC).

So no thread drift penalty for you at all, BC!

Reactions: BC.

Uncle-A

Skier
There's your problem. You need that hoagie roll from a Philly area bakery. The original shop is in the Little Italy section of Wilmington DE. Home of St Anthony's Italian festival, the largest on the east coast.
You are going to have to post the dates for that festival, sounds like a trip worth making.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have some pretty good Rubin choices here in Albany, Troy and Schenectady. A Rubin is Corned beef, coleslaw, Russin on rye - grilled. The corned beef can be too fatty laced/gnarly, and that ruins it. Russian is now refered to as the dressing formerly known as Russian.

Went I am able to get to Montreal - 4 hours drive, it feels more NYC like than any of the other cities in Canada. It's got both culture and lack there of. Need to make a road trip.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you care to share the names of these dell's that are still in business in Queens, NY? I remember Katz's deli in the city but I think they closed and are only an online sales.

Katz's Deli is alive and well on Houston Street in NYC. Or at least they were last September. They are so popular that when we tried to stop by there was a 2 hour wait to get in.

Remember you gotta "send a salami to your boy in the army" said with a NY accent. My husband has several Katz's T-shirts and he is often stopped by people who say "oh yeah, I loved that place when I was in Houston". He used to correct them but now he just walks away shaking his head.

James

Out There
Instructor
Katz's Deli is alive and well on Houston Street in NYC. Or at least they were last September. They are so popular that when we tried to stop by there was a 2 hour wait to get in.
That’s a function of the internet, “top things…” lists, trip advisor, yelp, blah blah blah.

Sponsor

Staff online