• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Patchskiing 2021 Edition

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Round Top/Sisters, July 28, 2021 (The October Patch)

Spencer
rtsopeleven811IMG8028crcr072821.jpg

Stev
rtsopfour804IMG7818cr072821.jpg

More here:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Stev everytime I took a snapshot of the mountains up here, including some glacial areas I thought....Stev and Spencer would ski that patch!
*Alyeska, AK*
81627906-DE0A-4BA9-BE24-14E78D96F903.JPG

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You might be right. Any suggestions on where there is some reasonably accessible snow available?

Ummmm ....... Chile?

No way that I could possible know more about reasonably accessible snow you!!! :ogbiggrin:

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might be right. Any suggestions on where there is some reasonably accessible snow available?

Does Lassen count as reasonably accessible? The drive is long and I don't have current beta, but it does hold snow better than anything around here. And once you get there, the approaches are pretty quick. North and Northeast facing slopes are accessible from the Devastated Area. There might even be patches on the Southeast bowl - ya never know.

FWIW

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Does Lassen count as reasonably accessible? The drive is long and I don't have current beta, but it does hold snow better than anything around here. And once you get there, the approaches are pretty quick. North and Northeast facing slopes are accessible from the Devastated Area. There might even be patches on the Southeast bowl - ya never know.

FWIW
Thanks for the suggestion. Lassen has been on my to do list for a long time.
However, I wonder if it is even possible to access that area with the fires going on nearby.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could probably access Lassen now but air quality has been horrendous in that area lately. However, if you monitor the air quality and keep an eye on the NWS web pages for weather forecasts, including the forecast discussion and satellite image loops to actually see how the smoke is moving, (I don't know if the link will be the current loop so you may have to scroll down on the forecast page, click on the sat photo, then click on the Geocolor Animation Loop), you might be able to find a window of favorable conditions.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't even think to check the Lassen NP website, which says:

Entire Park Closed to All Use Due to the Dixie Fire

No telling how long that will last.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure which is more challenging: rocks or heinous sun "cups" i.e. sun buckets.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Stev looking pretty low on snow .... having only been in that area for the past 5 years .... curious if have you ever seen less snow there at this time of the year?

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
@Stev looking pretty low on snow .... having only been in that area for the past 5 years .... curious if have you ever seen less snow there at this time of the year?
Sadly, yes. Here is a picture of the same area on August 10, 2015 (This was the fourth consecutive drought year.)
IMG3954crcrce.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online