• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Patrol attire

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I like the shell, I hung my very old Columbia one too close to the fire at the end of the season last year and tried to melt it. I've got more than enough stuff to get by without it but I really need a replacement.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like bright clothes so I picked red for my last ski jacket purchase.

Maybe should have chosen a different color.
I ski with a backpack most of the time. Last year at Copper, I was standing at a split in the trail, waiting for my family, and only after the fourth person in 5 minutes asked me for directions (note, I‘not not a local), did I realize they thought I was a patroller.
No white cross, no Black, and my pants are olive green, but apparently it is sufficient for many people :huh:

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is why my non patrol coat is not Red. :)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use the NSP patrol uniform coat from Patagonia and then a pair of black Patagonia snow pants, I don't recall which one right now.

My non patrol coat is a Patagonia Ascensionist in the orange and blue color way.. it looks super close to the old rust and blue patrol uniform from a longwhile ago. I never wore it as a patroller, but I like wearing a modern nod to the old rust and blue. Long time patrollers recognize it :)

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like bright clothes so I picked red for my last ski jacket purchase.

Maybe should have chosen a different color.
I ski with a backpack most of the time. Last year at Copper, I was standing at a split in the trail, waiting for my family, and only after the fourth person in 5 minutes asked me for directions (note, I‘not not a local), did I realize they thought I was a patroller.
No white cross, no Black, and my pants are olive green, but apparently it is sufficient for many people :huh:
Ahah I had a red/black jacket and a black pant and people were asking me for directions all the time (I also use a walkie talkie with a shoulder mic wich add to the confusion). My wife had also hard time at recognize me on the slope so I sold the jacket and will buy another with funky colors for this new season.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
my Family also uses shoulder mic’s on our radios ogsmile
cant get rid of the jacket though, custom made(and sized)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Patagonis makes a really nice 3 layer Gore-tex pant in their uniform line that I have been wearing for years. I love the points of organization. Tons of pockets for tools.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Is it this pant?

Looks like it. Although in the past it had integrated suspenders. Love the cut / fit, points of organization, durability, etc.

I typically purchase off the PSIA site.

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
The mediums are out of stock....
Depending on whether Patagonia can fix my existing patrol pants (lots of micro-tears on knees and seat), I may be in he market for a new set. Still wish they had continued to make and sell the Rubicons, though.
The reviews suggest that Patagonia is still having issues with sizing. I bought a medium set of capoline long johns from them last year and while the waist fit fine, the legs were a full four inches too long for me. I have a long torso and shorter legs, but mediums from just about every other vendor fit me just fine. I needed them too much to send them back (my other set had gone missing), so I just rolled the leg bottoms up, but it was seriously annoying.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The mediums are out of stock....
Depending on whether Patagonia can fix my existing patrol pants (lots of micro-tears on knees and seat), I may be in he market for a new set. Still wish they had continued to make and sell the Rubicons, though.
The reviews suggest that Patagonia is still having issues with sizing. I bought a medium set of capoline long johns from them last year and while the waist fit fine, the legs were a full four inches too long for me. I have a long torso and shorter legs, but mediums from just about every other vendor fit me just fine. I needed them too much to send them back (my other set had gone missing), so I just rolled the leg bottoms up, but it was seriously annoying.

Check the PSIA site, if you are an instructor. They maintain their own inventory.

If you send the exising pants back they would likely issue a refund, or credit.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
martyg: Remember that Patagonia is no longer on the Pro Offers on the PSIA website.

PSIA National replaced Patagonia with The NorthFace.

BUT if you have a Patagonia Pro account or if you contact Patagonia directly and set up a Patagonia Pro account, you will still have access to Patagonia Pro pricing and products.

I bought two pair of Patagonia Patroller Pants many years ago for free skiing when not in uniform. They are bomb proof.

I don't know if NSP still has Patagonia on its website or not. I was a NSP registered Mountain Host for a season but I am inactive on NSP now.

Do you Professional (i.e., ski resort employee) Patrollers have a national organization like NSP?

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you Professional (i.e., ski resort employee) Patrollers have a national organization like NSP?
Most Pro patrollers in Utah and Colorado are NSP members if their resort is affiliated with NSP. We have the same NSP benefits as volunteer patrollers. Patagonia is still a major partner with NSP.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Patagonia, and a lot of other major suppliers, give pro status to paid patrols not affiliated with NSP. They usually ask for a list of eligible names from the patrol director, IME.

Their Rubicon pants were the best ever, very bomber. Their Primo pants were also very, very good. Neither are made any more, and I‘ve never seen their new utility pants.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like my arteryx heliguide snow pants. They are a lot like there other patroller model except a bit higher bib. Also have rubber knee inserts. Most of our shift wears these. We get a prodeal on them. Still expensive but worth it.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Patagonia is still a sponsor of NSP and NSP renewed the contract for Patagonia to be the uniform supplier for another couple years. They are also working on a women's specific coat for 2022ish.

Regarding Patagonia snowpants sizing, I think they changed it a couple years ago. My older pair of pants are size Large, but I had to get XL for the more recent pants. They both fix exactly the same.

IceChick

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone have pants recommendations for female patrollers? I have a hard time making men's pants work for me and I'm in the market for a new pair.

Sponsor

Staff online