• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Patrolling in COVID times.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
It has been interesting. We can use a buff while on the chairs in line ups etc. Have had a few serious patients. Wearing a mask. Putting one on the patient. Everybody steaming up while loading a backboard in a crappy spot. Making it work and we are still skiing. People on our hill are good about masks. Need to remind a few but no problems so far. And finally getting some good snow.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It has still been pretty chill at my area now two months into our season. Since it's human powered uphilling now, we've had up to about 30 skiers on the mountain at once. Minimal accidents, only that needed an actual response from us. Every other one was minor, like needing ice or a bandaid. This crowd of skiers and borders has been very good with mask wearing in the parking lot, skinning up zone, and transition zone at the top of the mountain.

In other news, Alaska's Covid vaccine rollout phase 1 was expanded to encompass ski patrollers as "other emergency medical providers" on Monday. I got my first dose of the vaccine today!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The county my resort is in declared Ski patrollers part of the county EMS team so we were offered a 3 day window to get the vaccine. It was not mandatory but a lot of us got the vaccine. Our resort gave us time off work to facilitate anyone who wanted to get vaccinated.

Here are sunrise photos of me setting up an avalauncher shot Wednesday morning. We shot down four D-2 avalanches out of 8 shots. Very dangerous snowpack due to weak faceted layer to the ground.

image1 (3).jpeg
image0 (4).jpeg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given what our instructor members have said about their uniforms, I found this near the end of the story interesting:
"Naunchik said they were advocating for ..., in addition to seemingly smaller requests like ... uniforms that are waterproof and breathable."

(Should be obvious from context, but this is relative to the post about "Not on Strike, Just Practicing".)

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
All my shifts have been cancelled by Doug Ford so far. I'll have to review the COVID-19 protocols again before I start. I might not even remember how to ski if this keeps up much longer ;) .
It's like riding a bicycle..you'll crash a few times and slow down because you're older and slower now.. :ogbiggrin:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Given what our instructor members have said about their uniforms, I found this near the end of the story interesting:
"Naunchik said they were advocating for ..., in addition to seemingly smaller requests like ... uniforms that are waterproof and breathable."

(Should be obvious from context, but this is relative to the post about "Not on Strike, Just Practicing".)

Instructors who work at Vail mountains who post here have noted that the standard Vail uniforms need some serious improvement. Sounds like this goes for patrol as well.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Instructors who work at Vail mountains who post here have noted that the standard Vail uniforms need some serious improvement. Sounds like this goes for patrol as well.
The ol “Baked Potato” feeling is real! Heck I probably could have steamed a couple of lobsters yesterday!

Sponsor

Staff online