• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peak Skis Investment opportunity

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can't add much in terms of analysis except to say that Bode looks like a kid hauled down to the principal's office in the Republic video. I like their skis and hope they make it through.

Started watching this video, then I released Bode isn't talking about what I thought he was talking about...

I can't bear listening to people speak with vocal fry.

I find it grating on women.

Didn't know I would be doubly annoyed with men doing it.

Think Bode is the first man I've heard speak with it (or maybe really indulge in it). More reason not to like this guy!

Last edited:

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
Wow... And that the investment product has "SAFE" in its name. Must be safe to invest. 'Murica! https://republic.com/learn/investors/crowdsafe

I also think that it's disingenuous to put a valuation of $36M on that page, when the original announcement mentioned they were just valued at $21M.

I don't have a stick long enough to touch this safely with.

Do they take Dogecoin?

Last edited:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the good analysis here. I always have some “ fun money” to invest, and I would like to see this work, but my intial impression was “I’d trade the goodies for a clear explanation of what will be the equity interest and what will trigger it”.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Thanks for the good analysis here. I always have some “ fun money” to invest, and I would like to see this work, but my intial impression was “I’d trade the goodies for a clear explanation of what will be the equity interest and what will trigger it”.
Doesn't really matter the "donations" are still going up. So ludicrous though it is their plan is working even though buying Powerball tickets would have a higher expected payout.

Reading the target skier profiles elsewhere which are amusingly hubristic they are also a bit concerning when they refer to certain demos being lifelong Peak customers. The interpretation I make is you buy Peak skis you'll be at high risk of death within the next couple of years ;)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have some fun money looking to invest…you want to help me pay my monthly bills?…joking/not joking.:cool:

Even_Stevens

Getting on the lift
Skier
Late to this thread but what a read.

Given the close connections between Outside, Warren Miller Entertainment (owned by Outside) and Bode Miller I would suggest that being named on a “best of” list by Outside is not the flex they’re looking for.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Republic's cut:
How much does it cost?
It’s actually pretty inexpensive. Most companies spend about $3k-5k before launching their campaign on making their Form C filing.

Republic takes a success-based commission at the end of a campaign: 7% of the money raised in cash, and 2% of the securities issued. For example, if you were to raise $100,000 on Republic, we would take $7,000 in cash and a $2,000 Crowd SAFE. In the unlikely event a campaign doesn’t meet its minimum target, Republic does not take any fees.

Companies pay for the escrow agent and payment processing at the end of the campaign. This typically comes out to about 1.5-2.25% of the capital raised. (The final cost depends on the volume of investment through different sources like credit card, ACH, or wire transfer.)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Watching that Bode horse video. Maybe that's where he should be focusing his efforts? Seems superengaged about it. Of course I know zero about horse training so it may be that people who know think it's the same " I know better" approach as skis?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think we should wait for them to go bust, get the design rights, and bring it back as the Pugski. There is some business acumen on this board lacking in the current company.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The biggest problem that Peak Skis face is that the world does not need another ski manufacturer as there are already more than enough big integrated ski companies and small local indy ski companies. The ski industry is not really all that big and we are talking about a weather dependent seasonal industry.

For a ski shop, selling skis is not really all that profitable. Renting out a demo ski several times is a bigger $ producer than actually selling a ski. Also, selling ski clothing offers greater markup than selling skis.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I received this email yesterday (sorry for just a screenshot). Piled higher and deeper.
Screenshot_20231204-190907.png

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
The biggest problem that Peak Skis face is that the world does not need another ski manufacturer as there are already more than enough big integrated ski companies and small local indy ski companies. The ski industry is not really all that big and we are talking about a weather dependent seasonal industry.

For a ski shop, selling skis is not really all that profitable. Renting out a demo ski several times is a bigger $ producer than actually selling a ski. Also, selling ski clothing offers greater markup than selling skis. would be fine if it weren't for the lockdown seasons in 2020 and 2021.
They would have been fine if it weren't for the lockdowns of 2020 and 2021. That's what did Renoun and Original Plus in.
We'll see what the inflation of 2023 does even further to these outfits.
Peak is American. Didn't they participate in Paycheck Protection? Everybody was in on that scam.
Maybe it's because they outsource their manufacturing that they don't have enough payroll to claim it?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
They would have been fine if it weren't for the lockdowns of 2020 and 2021. That's what did Renoun and Original Plus in.
We'll see what the inflation of 2023 does even further to these outfits.
Peak is American. Didn't they participate in Paycheck Protection? Everybody was in on that scam.
Maybe it's because they outsource their manufacturing that they don't have enough payroll to claim it?
I’m last year was their first year in business, so while they may be suffering the after effects of the pandemic, they did not exist during the pandemic so did not qualify for any of the pandemic related programs. Their challenges are the current economy, inflation and a very competitive ski market.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I received this email yesterday (sorry for just a screenshot). Piled higher and deeper.
View attachment 217475
That's pretty vomit inducing given the state of their financials. Thanks for being fanboys suckers.

In other news is Renoun definitely down? Website doesn't look terminal but any proof of life been received from them?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January