• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peak Skis

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well after Skiing the 88's for three days and the 104's for three days at Snowbird 10 days ago in really good snow quality, I didn't experince any of the negative feeling the tester experienced, First, I don't give crap about the top sheet , second I had no , Zero, problems initiating a turn or for that matter different turn shapes, I once in 6 days had ONE turn I felt the tails giving me a problem, but I was way out of shape, back on heels, shoulder over rotated. I was on perfect snow not frozen snow he was on, that may change my opinion but I would be on my Blossom M 77 in those conditions.
This fits my own experience with these skis also. Initiating a turn with any of the Peak skis is a top plus for them,
and I never experienced poor release of the tails, except maybe when not using on edge/flexing skiing in a bit of a racer's style,
in steeper, rougher, uneven terrain. That the reviewer may be on back East ice and hardpan may be a factor;
great out west snow, packed powder and soft, may be what Peaks are best at. Dunno.

I've watched a few of his reviews. He does Ok. But like anyone on YouTube, you need to take everything he says with a grain of salt. A few thoughts:
  • He leans heavily on "I'm a former racer out east." I originally thought USSA High-Seed/Low Point or Academy type skier. Most of his skiing is POV, so it's hard to really ascertain skill, but his shadow and style did not fit what I expected.
  • He tends to slam Ski Monster and others for simple videos with generalities or basic tricks. His videos are full of personal opinion and advice--which is his draw. People are drawn to actual opinions, whether they are right or misplaced is another issue.
This makes good sense. I too can relate to his appeal, since I prefer actual personal experience reviews, with actual pros and cons;
I just prefer ones from folks who ski well and at least confirm their impressions with other skiers on that ski,
to compare notes and give it some objectivity and perspective.

(For example, I've tried to not post limitations, minuses or cons about a ski unless I've found others whose skiing I know
who have had generally the same experience, of limitations, etc.)

Joshua S

Putting on skis
Skier
I was skiing on my 104s yesterday. Late in the day, I began to notice some of the complaints in the review posted on page 6 of this thread. It turns out, I was too tired to keep my weight forward. Today, I experimented with moving forward and back on the skis. The skis really do have a sweet spot but it's a pretty big one.

As a Patroller, side-slipping is one of the most important skills. The 104s sideslipped even easier than my Volkl Mantras when I was taking a sled down the hill last Saturday.

I'm not an equipment freak, but I am a strong believer that different skis require different mixings of the basic skier skills. There is only one ski that I can remember that I couldn't control or find a way to enjoy in my 55+ years of skiing.