• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peak Skis

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone have a chance to try the Peak skis yet? I would love some feedback on the skis.
I was looking for some other opinions and reviews.
Thanks much-

Partly because I am a mediocre skier and don't have confidence that anyone should place much stock in what I have to say about any given ski, and partly because what Body Miller has to say about Peak skis made sense to me, I hesitate to post my experiences on Peak skis. This is not a review as much as it as testimony of how Peak skis were for me.

There was 10-14 inches of new snow – not dry powder, but not nearly as heavy as Northeastern Washington can get. I started out on Peak98s in the 168 centimeter length. As I was gliding from the chairlift, just putting my hand in my ski pole strap, I inexplicably caught an edge and fell. This has never happened to me before.

On my first run, I couldn't find a comfortable fore/aft balance and took a bad fall pitching forward onto my helmeted head. Notwithstanding the previous fall when gliding from the chairlift, it had been a long time since I had any kind of fall on skis. For several runs I tried to become comfortable on the Peak98s. I couldn't. My feeling is that they ski short.

I also wanted to try out my Peak88s – again in the 168 cm length. They skied surprisingly short. I could ski them, but I was never completely comfortable on them. They responded to my input fairly quickly, but without commitment. I never felt secure on them the way I do on my Stöckli skis.

I will be returning my Peak skis.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the great comments, @Kent. I agree and meant to post more about this, but got distracted.
I also experience they (the 98) ski short, often: light weight skis, flex and rocker that feel that way, a bit short.

Normally with an all mountain ski, I'd be on a 178 or so, for versatile use. Instead I got the longest versions, 184, and I was experiencing them
as being a bit short even sized up, unless driven aggressively forward on edge, or freeriding aggressively on flexed edge, usually with at least some commitment forward (not with an intermediate/advanced technique). I sometimes skied them a bit more upright also, but, again, more aggressively on edge. More relaxed, and they had a tendency to ski short, and feel less planted.

I meant to put this in my thread's comments, but my "review" was transferred to a post, rather than to a thread, as I'd intended, and thus was way too long already, under the circumstances.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Partly because I am a mediocre skier and don't have confidence that anyone should place much stock in what I have to say about any given ski, and partly because what Body Miller has to say about Peak skis made sense to me, I hesitate to post my experiences on Peak skis. This is not a review as much as it as testimony of how Peak skis were for me.

There was 10-14 inches of new snow – not dry powder, but not nearly as heavy as Northeastern Washington can get. I started out on Peak98s in the 168 centimeter length. As I was gliding from the chairlift, just putting my hand in my ski pole strap, I inexplicably caught an edge and fell. This has never happened to me before.

On my first run, I couldn't find a comfortable fore/aft balance and took a bad fall pitching forward onto my helmeted head. Notwithstanding the previous fall when gliding from the chairlift, it had been a long time since I had any kind of fall on skis. For several runs I tried to become comfortable on the Peak98s. I couldn't. My feeling is that they ski short.

I also wanted to try out my Peak88s – again in the 168 cm length. They skied surprisingly short. I could ski them, but I was never completely comfortable on them. They responded to my input fairly quickly, but without commitment. I never felt secure on them the way I do on my Stöckli skis.

Just curious, what are your height and weight? I haven't been on Peaks yet but have held them in my hot little hands. The 98s seem to have a good amount of rise. At 168 you're not going to have a lot of ski on the snow when running flat. And in chop and powder you won't get a lot of float unless you're pretty light, like sub-150#.

I'm not knocking your experience, just wondering how this would all fit together. Sometimes certain skis and skiers just don't gel. It's happened to me with the *GASP* Stockli Laser and Montero ARs.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier

Did ou use the same binding as on your Stocklis? Thayt could be a variable, especially if the delta is significantly different,

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can see a ski developed by Bode not necessarily being scaled down very well to the 168 length.

I'm sure others were involved in the development of the line, but this is primarily Bode's baby, no?

And this isn't just a Peak issue, to be fair. I remember that early years of what I'll call the "new" Enforcer 100 (when it was just the Enforcer) did not review well in the shortest length.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can see a ski developed by Bode not necessarily being scaled down very well to the 168 length.
I would think Elan could handle it. They are the ones doing the guessing, er…engineering. Seems companies are paying more attention to that issue these days.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Did ou use the same binding as on your Stocklis? Thayt could be a variable, especially if the delta is significantly different,
Yes, same bindings as on my AXs. My 2014/15 SR88s have Marker bindings.

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well at least you are apples to apples. Maybe the ski was too short, but more likely it just wasn’t for you.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've now had a chance to ski the 98. They definitely ski short with a fair amount of rise at tip and tail. I was on the longest length available and felt I could have gone up another length in certain conditions but the 184 was really likely my best all-around length.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive

No need to hesitate, you're sharing your experiences with a ski, which is useful especially with a new brand that not many people have tried yet. It's most helpful if you share as much as you are comfortable about yourself as a skier - rough height, weight, terrain you like to ski, because this helps us know which skis work well (or not) for which skiers.

Peak have more rocker and rise than legacy Stormriders and surely the AX, so it makes sense that they feel short in the same measured length.

DirtRider

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have a chance to try the Peak skis yet? I would love some feedback on the skis.
Peak 104 (184cm) at Palisades Tahoe. Got to tell you the skis are amazing. The conditions this week are mixed after last week's major snow fall. Shaded areas are a bit crusty, but have plenty of cover. Conditions are surprisingly good despite warm temperatures, For context, I grew up skiing in Europe, so my style is no sunshine gets through the skis unless the grade is super steep and cruddy. The skis carve amazing well for a 104 width. Even short radius turns are light and responsive. Where they really stand out is at speed though. They are the first true all mountain skis that are not nervous nor chatter at speed. They are completely stable on long carving turns at 40+ mph, which is a first for me on all mountain skis. They are also amazingly nimble through the moguls too. There is no question that Bodie was completely entrenched in the design of these skis and the result is not only a quick, responsive ski, but one that can handle speed.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks!
I have not gotten on my 104s yet, but your experience sounds a lot like mine on the Peak 188/110s. I think the 110s do more towards flexible, versatile, just short of gs like turns, whereas the 104 maybe has a little extra, versatile nimbleness towards shorter radius turns - for example, in moguls - not sure. (Complementary skis.) But otherwise, @DirtRider, your description of the 104 sounds like it has similar strengths - and pretty much the same unique "keyhole" way of handling, just like Bode said his design would behave. Man, we got lucky.

Last edited:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied my 104s at both Snowbird and Mammoth over the past two weeks, and can concur that there is no top end for these skis. Slopes tells me I hit 60mph and I never felt anything remotely squirrely. They are rock solid. They are also remarkably versatile, as I couldn't have experienced two more different trials than those two outings. One was deep and soft, one was groomed and firm. The 104s were really good in both.

They are also very forgiving in the sense you can ski them centered/neutral, or drive the tips, and both result in superb results. By comparison, I just spent the last two days at Steamboat on my Mantra 102s (I would have had my Peak 104s but the airlines thought otherwise, and I'm still waiting for them to arrive back at my house after Mammoth!) and what a different animal. I have to really drive the M102, especially for my size (5'6", 160lbs), but the P104 just kind of let me do whatever I wanted. Hard, easy, whatever. I love the M102, but they require a lot more attention.

Additionally, I bought my wife a pair of the Peak 98, and today we swapped the M102 for the P98 for a run (we have the same BSL). What a fun ski! The P98, especially after the M102, were so light and lively, but just ripped on the one groomer we railed. My wife? She said, "Wow, your skis are FAST!"

I think the Peak skis are exceptional. I for one am happy I jumped on board early.

**Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
What length Peak 104s did you go with?
I've skied my 104s at both Snowbird and Mammoth over the past two weeks, and can concur that there is no top end for these skis. Slopes tells me I hit 60mph and I never felt anything remotely squirrely. They are rock solid. They are also remarkably versatile, as I couldn't have experienced two more different trials than those two outings. One was deep and soft, one was groomed and firm. The 104s were really good in both.

They are also very forgiving in the sense you can ski them centered/neutral, or drive the tips, and both result in superb results. By comparison, I just spent the last two days at Steamboat on my Mantra 102s (I would have had my Peak 104s but the airlines thought otherwise, and I'm still waiting for them to arrive back at my house after Mammoth!) and what a different animal. I have to really drive the M102, especially for my size (5'6", 160lbs), but the P104 just kind of let me do whatever I wanted. Hard, easy, whatever. I love the M102, but they require a lot more attention.

Additionally, I bought my wife a pair of the Peak 98, and today we swapped the M102 for the P98 for a run (we have the same BSL). What a fun ski! The P98, especially after the M102, were so light and lively, but just ripped on the one groomer we railed. My wife? She said, "Wow, your skis are FAST!"

I think the Peak skis are exceptional. I for one am happy I jumped on board early.

**Edited for clarity.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on the 178cm Peak 104 (5'6" 160lbs). That length is perfect for me. I would not go shorter, and don't see the need to go any longer with them being as stable as they are.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw my first pair in the wild yesterday, a pair of 98s I think. Nice looking, in an understated way. Lousy pilot, so I did not engage.

I probably haven't been paying attention, but the somewhat squared-off tip surprised me. Must be a reason?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man,@Tom K. , if I hadn't gotten injured, the two (and maybe soon three) Peaks I got and have been on so far would have seen a lot of days, as favorites.

The 98 I like better, for most things, than my Mindbender 99s and even my Bonafides (slightly) - even though, very rarely, they seem almost to ski slightly short at speed on steeps (unless I lay them over more) - though they stay damp and stable, not overwhelmed.

And as for the 110, wow, only my Black Ops 118 and Pettitor 120s are still ahead (albeit mostly in more snow) - and not for days under three or so inches or older snow. My Rossi Sickle (S6) 110s, 110 Jeffrey ON3Ps, 112 Faction CT 3.0/184 and 190s, Katana 112 184 and 190s, and the Salomon Blanks 194, I would be using less than the Peaks. (And I already sold the CT 3.0/190s, mostly as a result).
A lot to look forward to here.

These Peaks are "go to," neat skis for me, especially for "some soft snow" days - fast or slow.

The third Peak I haven't been on yet, still (104). But my guess is that these will be the first skis between 100 mm and 110 mm that really are "go to" also for me since the 105 K2 Pinnacles (not counting the 108 K2 Mindbenders I demoed, that were so much different and better than the pair I actually bought).

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid