• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peak Skis

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Man,@Tom K. , if I hadn't gotten injured, the two (and maybe soon three) Peaks I got and have been on so far would have seen a lot of days, as favorites.

The 98 I like better, for most things, than my Mindbender 99s and even my Bonafides (slightly) - even though, very rarely, they seem almost to ski slightly short at speed on steeps (unless I lay them over more) - though they stay damp and stable, not overwhelmed.

And as for the 110, wow, only my Black Ops 118 and Pettitor 120s are still ahead (albeit mostly in more snow) - and not for days under three or so inches or older snow. My Rossi Sickle (S6) 110s, 110 Jeffrey ON3Ps, 112 Faction CT 3.0/184 and 190s, Katana 112 184 and 190s, and the Salomon Blanks 194, I would be using less than the Peaks. (And I already sold the CT 3.0/190s, mostly as a result).
A lot to look forward to here.

These Peaks are "go to," neat skis for me, especially for "some soft snow" days - fast or slow.

The third Peak I haven't been on yet, still (104). But my guess is that these will be the first skis between 100 mm and 110 mm that really are "go to" also for me since the 105 K2 Pinnacles (not counting the 108 K2 Mindbenders I demoed, that were so much different and better than the pair I actually bought).
You have my attention now on the 110... cant wait forever for a BO 108.

What length did you go with?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still curious on the tip shape and design.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, I'm ignorant on that tip design, except no hangups with it so far and it works.

Most Moment skis seem to have almost the same tip shape, no problem.

Mine are the longest, 188. Would not go shorter.

Peak skis calls these "a ski that floats and carves."

In the fairly shallow powder I've had these in, It may well be true, not sure yet:
but they kill crud with lift and are definitely not two dimensional bottom carvers, like some of the premium skis we know.....

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man,@Tom K. , if I hadn't gotten injured, the two (and maybe soon three) Peaks I got and have been on so far would have seen a lot of days, as favorites.

The 98 I like better, for most things, than my Mindbender 99s and even my Bonafides (slightly) - even though, very rarely, they seem almost to ski slightly short at speed on steeps (unless I lay them over more) - though they stay damp and stable, not overwhelmed.

And as for the 110, wow, only my Black Ops 118 and Pettitor 120s are still ahead (albeit mostly in more snow) - and not for days under three or so inches or older snow. My Rossi Sickle (S6) 110s, 110 Jeffrey ON3Ps, 112 Faction CT 3.0/184 and 190s, Katana 112 184 and 190s, and the Salomon Blanks 194, I would be using less than the Peaks. (And I already sold the CT 3.0/190s, mostly as a result).
A lot to look forward to here.

These Peaks are "go to," neat skis for me, especially for "some soft snow" days - fast or slow.

The third Peak I haven't been on yet, still (104). But my guess is that these will be the first skis between 100 mm and 110 mm that really are "go to" also for me since the 105 K2 Pinnacles (not counting the 108 K2 Mindbenders I demoed, that were so much different and better than the pair I actually bought).

I hope you heal up soon. You're not out for the season, are you?

I really blew it today. Left the 104s at home and Baker was cursed with tail lock snow, which was one of the main reasons I settled on Peak Skis, for these conditions. Next shot is Sunday. But as much as I want to test them in this refrozen mank, I won't complain if we get new snow.

Still haven't mounted my 110s, but I appreciate your vote of confidence. Maybe I should be using these on some days I'm selecting the 104s.

Did @GregK buy your CT 3.0s? ;-)

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys have me considering the merits of the 110. I'm headed out to Park City on Monday and then Snowbird/Alta the rest of the week. I'm bringing my Peak 104s and Mantra 102s. I kind of wish I had the 110s to play around with.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, I'm ignorant on that tip design, except no hangups with it so far and it works.

Most Moment skis seem to have almost the same tip shape, no problem.

Mine are the longest, 188. Would not go shorter.

Peak skis calls these "a ski that floats and carves."

In the fairly shallow powder I've had these in, It may well be true, not sure yet:
but they kill crud with lift and are definitely not two dimensional bottom carvers, like some of the premium skis we know.....
were you riding these at wp this last week?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did @GregK buy your CT 3.0s? ;-)
Wasn’t me although I don’t have backups of CT 3.0s……….lol

Pondering maybe reducing the CT 3.0 quiver too as I might find I go from the 184cm CT 3.0 to the 186cm Blackops 118 instead of the longer 190cm CT 3.0 like @ski otter 2 might do as well in deeper snow.

The 190cm CT 3.0 can be a lot of ski for some and the lighter and more accessible 188cm Peak 110 would definitely be an easier ski on certain days.
He also has to make room in the quiver for the new Sender Free 110 which sounds like the “in between” ski of the Peak 110 and the Blackops 108 if it ever comes out!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
were you riding these at wp this last week?
I'm 4 1/2 weeks into an arm sling, fractured arm bone. They said I'd be back skiing at the earliest after 6 to 8 weeks. So maybe two to four weeks more. When it happened (hit by another skier), I was on the 110s. They rock. In maybe 3 inches of fresh. I miss them.
Just before that run, I'd decided to slow down as a concession to age as things got more crowded. There's yer trouble.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wasn’t me although I don’t have backups of CT 3.0s……….lol

Pondering maybe reducing the CT 3.0 quiver too as I might find I go from the 184cm CT 3.0 to the 186cm Blackops 118 instead of the longer 190cm CT 3.0 like @ski otter 2 might do as well in deeper snow.

The 190cm CT 3.0 can be a lot of ski for some and the lighter and more accessible 188cm Peak 110 would definitely be an easier ski on certain days.
He also has to make room in the quiver for the new Sender Free 110 which sounds like the “in between” ski of the Peak 110 and the Blackops 108 if it ever comes out!
To me that 190 3.0 ski at my profile behaves best when imitating CT a bit: airs, straightlining some, shallow freeride turns at speed. Amazing then.

The 188 Peak 110 is roughly just as stable (keyhole), and has more of a "lay it over" or relaxed "flex the carve" turn groove,
and more float also. (It rewards imitating prototyper Bode a bit, you see. Pick yer skier. :) )

dfdny444

Booting up
Skier
That's a helluva a deal at this time of year.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been doing the sport carving thing for the last couple weeks. But not today. Reverse powder day at Baker so the 104s came out. I lapped Gabl's all day: top was soft snow, middle section was firm chunks and slide debris, and bottom was soft slush; and these Peak ATVs ran over all of it. By the bell, good snow top to bottom. No tail lock (which I was getting on the carvers), no tip deflections, no hooky behavior on steeps. These skis are perfect for heavy PNW pow.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
For binding mount, is everyone mounting them on the recommended line?

Got some 110s inbound :cool:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How are Peak when it comes to chopped up powder and crud? I’m thinking of the 104 and 110, in particular. Are the tips nervous when they hit crud or do they do their thing (blast through or rise) in a stable way? I don’t like skis that I’m not sure what they’re going to do in the chop.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
How are Peak when it comes to chopped up powder and crud? I’m thinking of the 104 and 110, in particular. Are the tips nervous when they hit crud or do they do their thing (blast through or rise) in a stable way? I don’t like skis that I’m not sure what they’re going to do in the chop.
Check out what @ski otter 2 said about them!

For them to be in the same conversation as the Black Ops 118 has got me excited for them. That ski blasts through everything!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have to caution, again:
My Peak 110 (and 98) experience is still stuck at preliminary, early impressions, early season, subject to change, due to my fracture.
I gotta get into some deeper, rougher snow, on and off piste.

In particular, as yet I still haven't gotten on them in any fresh snow deeper than maybe 5-6", early season.
Not nearly enough.
( And I've got another month before I can go at it again!)
Check out what @ski otter 2 said about them!

For them to be in the same conversation as the Black Ops 118 has got me excited for them. That ski blasts through everything!

I'm optimistic, but I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea: these 110s are probably not the tanks
that the Pettitor 120s and Black Ops 118s are, I have to say, at least for now.

( I thought I'd have long since done this demoing, apologies. :huh:)

:) I got too much time on my hands now, so....

The Peak 110s deal well with crud/chop, so far, by a bit of lift, a bit of stiff, more flexing the ski than using sidecut, and that keyhole, all in balance - which kills the rebound reverb, seems like. Probably also the extra 4 cm of length (110/188 to 98/184) matters; and maybe somewhat the greater width of the 110s stabilizes things too - wider platform. (As I recall, Bode said with the wider skis, the Keyhole matters more, not less.)

The 110s charge better, more stability, than the 98s - more quiet also.
But both Peaks stay relatively quiet, and with control underfoot, not thrown much fore-aft -
presumably because of that keyhole, as Bode says.

So far, to me with both skis it feels like some sort of magic, since usually it takes a much heavier - and even longer - ski to get at the kind of quiet stability these 110s especially have (while retaining the ease and quickness of the lighter weight skis they are).

Still guessing, the 110s may indeed turn out to almost be in the same conversation with the Black Ops 118, even though so different;
but if I had to guess, for now they are probably just below that top level as crud busters - so far, at the top of the heap of most of the rest, in crud.
And surprisingly lightweight? Gad. Time will tell: a lot to still discover.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That conversation would go like this- “The Blackops 118 is over 400gr heavier with more solid tips/tails and more damping so it’s much better in crud” lol

Sponsor

Staff online