• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peak Skis

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to both of you for the link and follow-up information.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That conversation would go like this- “The Blackops 118 is over 400gr heavier with more solid tips/tails and more damping so it’s much better in crud” lol

That maybe true. Having not skied the Blackops, I can't say. I do know the Peak 104s are much better in crud than my Bonafides last season; and the Peaks are about 200g lighter, so weight isn't the whole story. And this is Baker Cascade crud mind you: deep, heavy, semi frozen.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That maybe true. Having not skied the Blackops, I can't say. I do know the Peak 104s are much better in crud than my Bonafides last season; and the Peaks are about 200g lighter, so weight isn't the whole story. And this is Baker Cascade crud mind you: deep, heavy, semi frozen.
Longer radius on the Peak, smoother tip slope, more taper on the tip and softer flex on the extremes. Will be less catchy and more easily pass over things than the sharper sloped Bonifide 97.

Peak 110 would be in the Mindbender 108Ti, 184cm Moment 108 and 188cm Rustler 11 conversations. Skis that punch above their weight in crud for sure.

The Blackops 118 would be a somewhat similar design but with way more mass.

The Stormrider have well designed tip shape(smooth low rise and taper) too with an even softer flexing tip and medium length turn radius.
Peak 104 or 110 should be a notch above current SR versions as they are heavier, stiffer up front with a longer turn radius.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Longer radius on the Peak, smoother tip slope, more taper on the tip and softer flex on the extremes. Will be less catchy and more easily pass over things than the sharper sloped Bonifide 97.

Peak 110 would be in the Mindbender 108Ti, 184cm Moment 108 and 188cm Rustler 11 conversations. Skis that punch above their weight in crud for sure.

The Blackops 118 would be a somewhat similar design but with way more mass.

The Stormrider have well designed tip shape(smooth low rise and taper) too with an even softer flexing tip and medium length turn radius.
Peak 104 or 110 should be a notch above current SR versions as they are heavier, stiffer up front with a longer turn radius.

That's a couple times now I've read that the Mindbender 108Ti is good for crud. I had a MB 90ti, which I liked in soft snow but didn't love on groomers so I sold it. Putting aside for a moment the great Peak 2 for 1 sale going on I wonder if I should take more of a look at the 108Ti. Crud performance is probably at the top of my list.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wondering @ski otter 2 , just wondering. ogsmile

Having owned a Mindbender I have an idea for what I can expect in terms of performance. I know nothing about the Peak skis so it's more of a risk that I might not like it. If I buy any 10x width ski it's only for western trips and the expectation of skiing it in chopped up powder and crud.

I could just stick with my SR95 for this season but where's the fun in that? ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So...how would they compare to the Stockli Stormrider series?
I'm not able to be as analytic about it - avoid that if I can, just because I don't want that, I guess; more experiential: tasting the wine instead of details of making it, maybe. All good.

The farthest I can go that analytic way about the design is that I experience the Stormriders as being made by a lot of very dialed in people wanting those skis so they stay mostly down in the snow, rather than up on it, or in between. They are dialed in for carve, corduroy or fresh/crud, even as things get skied off and variable: so smooth, edge-holding, stable. Predictable. But SRs feel almost like riding/carving on that surface down under, as if almost 2 dimensional, even though there is enough lift to make things uninterrupted, no disconnect from the snow.

By contrast, the Peaks have lift, so far just enough to be about like a Moment ski, maybe; or like the Black Ops 118 in terms of intermediate float - for some float or more lightness/playfulness; and a balance between carve and slarve. Not sure how this will work in deeper snow/crud, though - as yet. Not sure if I can drift these skis or not in deeper, for example - have to see.

Because the 110 Peaks are so wide, I would use them mostly on fresh snow or very soft snow groomer days, feeling that width otherwise.

At the same time, hard to believe, the 110 Peaks - and to some extent the 98s - have as one possibility more of a race ski carve when laid over at least just a bit, fall line driven aim with flex, like a bit of what one does with a race ski: more precise carve when choosing that side of the ski than with the SRs, more than many of the Lasers, hidden within a versatile all mountain ski, at least on packed powder or Colorado Rockies type of groomed snow, so far.

I'll bet the Peak 88s are this way also, more so than the 98s, maybe. (Don't know about on ice or back East hardpan, in terms of edgehold there, but guess it might work well there too, on less icy days.)

These things have a definite former racer footprint to how they can ski, as one possibility, while being also a full all mountain option, good even for an intermediate skier, seems to me, and as I've been told - unlike the Crosson 78s I own.

All I can say is, this is because there are unusual principles going into this ski, the Keyhole; and the design to carve somewhat more from the flex, than the sideshape - more like what one gets with a race ski; and at the same time, surprisingly, to have forgiving rocker and lift of an all mountain ski built in too, not in conflict. Good for advanced and probably many intermediates, not just expert skiers. It's a novel set of characteristics.

That's a couple times now I've read that the Mindbender 108Ti is good for crud. I had a MB 90ti, which I liked in soft snow but didn't love on groomers so I sold it. Putting aside for a moment the great Peak 2 for 1 sale going on I wonder if I should take more of a look at the 108Ti. Crud performance is probably at the top of my list.
To me, the Peak 98 is right at the border of skiing too short on some steeps at speed if it is not laid over some on edge there with confidence - again, on edge when at speed. Because of that, to me it maybe, probably, does not replace your SR 95s, nor for many good skiers who want to carve strongly, rather than pivot or slarve the steeps on some different kind of ski.

I owned the MB 108Ti for a few years, tinkering; and the MB 99, enjoying; and skied the MB 90. @TheArchitect, yours is to me an exact description of how I feel about the 99s (and the 90s). A friend I ski with and talk with a lot is an associate rep for K2 and Marker, and works in ski shops, tech side or inventory/sales side both - boots, bindings, skis. For decades. So I get his more knowledgeable point of view a lot, and have skied both a great 108 Ti and a poor one. I'm mixed about that ski, at least for my profile. But it is a great ski for many with different profiles.

To me, the MB 108s are a good or great finesse soft snow ski, the best versions tops, as long as it's not too fast, too rough, too anything - though the best version I tried was so dialed in, all that didn't matter to me. I've demoed the ski multiple years, including the most recent and never found again the super version I demoed first.

For my profile, I figure they are mostly a good crud ski, not a great one, when one doesn't ski too fast or push them too much; and they lack the build or carve precision that would make them good on an old snow day. (Prone to chatter on hard, even, for me.) Just a different animal.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
108Ti is definitely a more substantial ski than the lighter and shorter radius 90Ti and the latest 108Ti has been beefed up further underfoot.
Like a more damp ski for groomers as well than the 90Ti.

There are definitely heavier, more stable crud destroyers out there than a MB 108 Ti or Peak ski but they might not be as easy or as versatile if you’re not charging.

So what do you have now for a groomer ski or wider “crud” type ski?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not able to be as analytic about it - avoid that if I can, just because I don't want that, I guess; more experiential: tasting the wine instead of details of making it, maybe. All good.

The farthest I can go that analytic way about the design is that I experience the Stormriders as being made by a lot of very dialed in people wanting those skis so they stay mostly down in the snow, rather than up on it, or in between. They are dialed in for carve, corduroy or fresh/crud, even as things get skied off and variable: so smooth, edge-holding, stable. Predictable. But SRs feel almost like riding/carving on that surface down under, as if almost 2 dimensional, even though there is enough lift to make things uninterrupted, no disconnect from the snow.

By contrast, the Peaks have lift, so far just enough to be about like a Moment ski, maybe; or like the Black Ops 118 in terms of intermediate float - for some float or more lightness/playfulness; and a balance between carve and slarve. Not sure how this will work in deeper snow/crud, though - as yet. Not sure if I can drift these skis or not in deeper, for example - have to see.

Because the 110 Peaks are so wide, I would use them mostly on fresh snow or very soft snow groomer days, feeling that width otherwise.

At the same time, hard to believe, the 110 Peaks - and to some extent the 98s - have as one possibility more of a race ski carve when laid over at least just a bit, fall line driven aim with flex, like a bit of what one does with a race ski: more precise carve when choosing that side of the ski than with the SRs, more than many of the Lasers, hidden within a versatile all mountain ski, at least on packed powder or Colorado Rockies type of groomed snow, so far.

I'll bet the Peak 88s are this way also, more so than the 98s, maybe. (Don't know about on ice or back East hardpan, in terms of edgehold there, but guess it might work well there too, on less icy days.)

These things have a definite former racer footprint to how they can ski, as one possibility, while being also a full all mountain option, good even for an intermediate skier, seems to me, and as I've been told - unlike the Crosson 78s I own.

All I can say is, this is because there are unusual principles going into this ski, the Keyhole; and the design to carve somewhat more from the flex, than the sideshape - more like what one gets with a race ski; and at the same time, surprisingly, to have forgiving rocker and lift of an all mountain ski built in too, not in conflict. Good for advanced and probably many intermediates, not just expert skiers. It's a novel set of characteristics.

To me, the Peak 98 is right at the border of skiing too short on some steeps at speed if it is not laid over some on edge there with confidence - again, on edge when at speed. Because of that, to me it maybe, probably, does not replace your SR 95s, nor for many good skiers who want to carve strongly, rather than pivot or slarve the steeps on some different kind of ski.

I owned the MB 108Ti for a few years, tinkering; and the MB 99, enjoying; and skied the MB 90. @TheArchitect, yours is to me an exact description of how I feel about the 99s (and the 90s). A friend I ski with and talk with a lot is an associate rep for K2 and Marker, and works in ski shops, tech side or inventory/sales side both - boots, bindings, skis. For decades. So I get his more knowledgeable point of view a lot, and have skied both a great 108 Ti and a poor one. I'm mixed about that ski, at least for my profile. But it is a great ski for many with different profiles.

To me, the MB 108s are a good or great finesse soft snow ski, the best versions tops, as long as it's not too fast, too rough, too anything - though the best version I tried was so dialed in, all that didn't matter to me. I've demoed the ski multiple years, including the most recent and never found again the super version I demoed first.

For my profile, I figure they are mostly a good crud ski, not a great one, when one doesn't ski too fast or push them too much; and they lack the build or carve precision that would make them good on an old snow day. (Prone to chatter on hard, even, for me.) Just a different animal.
108Ti is definitely a more substantial ski than the lighter and shorter radius 90Ti and the latest 108Ti has been beefed up further underfoot.
Like a more damp ski for groomers as well than the 90Ti.

There are definitely heavier, more stable crud destroyers out there than a MB 108 Ti or Peak ski but they might not be as easy or as versatile if you’re not charging.

So what do you have now for a groomer ski or wider “crud” type ski?

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

@ski otter 2 I think that based on what you said I might end up liking the MB 108Ti for a while but wondering if it’s the right one for me, just like I did with the 90Ti. It’s still on my list but I’m not so sure after thinking about it.

Greg, to answer your questions.

Groomers: Kastle MX74, Laser AX
Fresh snow groomers, bumps: Laser AX and SR88
Powder, “crud”: SR95

I had a Kastle BMX105, which I liked but didn’t love so I traded it in with Powder7 towards the SR88’s. As an eastern skier I think what I have covers my needs but I’d like to add a western wide ski for trips. I’d like for it to be good in chopped up powder and crud as that seems to be what I get to ski the most. I don’t see the value in spending a ton on this ski as it won’t see much use but the Peak 2 for 1 deal is a good price and the MB 108Ti can be had for a good price near the end of the season.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

@ski otter 2 I think that based on what you said I might end up liking the MB 108Ti for a while but wondering if it’s the right one for me, just like I did with the 90Ti. It’s still on my list but I’m not so sure after thinking about it.

Greg, to answer your questions.

Groomers: Kastle MX74, Laser AX
Fresh snow groomers, bumps: Laser AX and SR88
Powder, “crud”: SR95

I had a Kastle BMX105, which I liked but didn’t love so I traded it in with Powder7 towards the SR88’s. As an eastern skier I think what I have covers my needs but I’d like to add a western wide ski for trips. I’d like for it to be good in chopped up powder and crud as that seems to be what I get to ski the most. I don’t see the value in spending a ton on this ski as it won’t see much use but the Peak 2 for 1 deal is a good price and the MB 108Ti can be had for a good price near the end of the season.
When I demoed the "new" 108ti in November, I was told by multiple K2 reps that this ski has changed very little, and only in subtle ways, fine-tuning, not ways that make a difference in how it handles crud. I asked multiple questions, follow-ups, know these reps pretty well, shoot the breeze with them a bunch, am real buddies with one of them, and all said something similar: no change I'd really care about.

Then I skied them, FWTW. Sure enough, I could not tell much difference; usually I bother people by noticing small differences, but not this time. And this ski was softer, and less effective in crud than the super version I skied some years ago when the ski was about a year old.
Dunno.

P.S. Both Peak skis I've tried (98 & 110) are in another class in terms of easy or charging crud skiing compared to the 108ti: much more effective at that, at speed or not. And both handle soft groomers much better. Probably better than the SR88, actually - but for me this sense is based on only a few runs demoing the latest SR88 on soft groomers, so not sure in all conditions on this.
(It was a surprise to me too.)

Last edited:

Galun

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug @ski otter 2 or others

I searched your post history and it looks like you have skied on Kastle. Can you share how the peaks compare to the Kastles?

I have the MX89 and FX 106 HP (the carbon one without metal). The skiing that I enjoy: on days with new snow or recent loose snow I start with steeps and/or trees, then cut back to a blue groomer on the runout back to the lifts and carve. On days with no new snow I enjoy staying on piste doing short turns on groomers with fis sl skis. I really like the Kastles and I use the MX89 or FX 106 HP depending on how much it had snowed and how much off piste I wanted to do for the day.

My oldest son has grown to the same foot size as mine so I have an excuse to get new skis… The MX89, as much as I love them, is tiring me out too soon as I grow older. I do enjoy the FX 106 HP. The peaks with the BOGO looks tempting especially when I have some spare bindings lying around. Looks like it can be playful (I interpret as easier and relaxed) but also can rip turns when I want to lay them over. The 25m radius got me a bit concerned about their agility in tight trees though. Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I demoed the "new" 108ti in November, I was told by multiple K2 reps that this ski has changed very little, and only in subtle ways, fine-tuning, not ways that make a difference in how it handles crud. I asked multiple questions, follow-ups, know these reps pretty well, shoot the breeze with them a bunch, am real buddies with one of them, and all said something similar: no change I'd really care about.

Then I skied them, FWTW. Sure enough, I could not tell much difference; usually I bother people by noticing small differences, but not this time. And this ski was softer, and less effective in crud than the super version I skied some years ago when the ski was about a year old.
Dunno.

P.S. Both Peak skis I've tried (98 & 110) are in another class in terms of easy or charging crud skiing compared to the 108ti: much more effective at that, at speed or not. And both handle soft groomers much better. Probably better than the SR88, actually - but for me this sense is based on only a few runs demoing the latest SR88 on soft groomers, so not sure in all conditions on this.
(It was a surprise to me too.)

Thanks again. The Peak do sound like they might be what I'm looking for. I wish they had a longer track record but I may take the chance anyway on the 104. I'm going to decide tomorrow. If I don't I may look at end-of-season sales for another ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug @ski otter 2 or others

I searched your post history and it looks like you have skied on Kastle. Can you share how the peaks compare to the Kastles?

I have the MX89 and FX 106 HP (the carbon one without metal). The skiing that I enjoy: on days with new snow or recent loose snow I start with steeps and/or trees, then cut back to a blue groomer on the runout back to the lifts and carve. On days with no new snow I enjoy staying on piste doing short turns on groomers with fis sl skis. I really like the Kastles and I use the MX89 or FX 106 HP depending on how much it had snowed and how much off piste I wanted to do for the day.

My oldest son has grown to the same foot size as mine so I have an excuse to get new skis… The MX89, as much as I love them, is tiring me out too soon as I grow older. I do enjoy the FX 106 HP. The peaks with the BOGO looks tempting especially when I have some spare bindings lying around. Looks like it can be playful (I interpret as easier and relaxed) but also can rip turns when I want to lay them over. The 25m radius got me a bit concerned about their agility in tight trees though. Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated!
Man, one of my favorite Kastles has been the FX 106 HP - except the one with metal, I think, in my case. (Never got to try the ones without, I think.) Hard to beat that ski in soft snow bumps, etc. FIS SL skis I use a lot myself, especially early season and late.
I like fat skis and freeride skis also. But as an old guy, I gave up tight trees half a dozen years ago, so can't help you there.

The MX 89, I have not tried. But I demoed the MX 88 repeatedly (not sure how similar), and felt it hugged the slope on edge like glue with a softer flex that to me made it confining, a lot of work for what one gets out of it. (The comparable Peak would be the Peak 88, which I have not tried.) To me, that Kastle is a more traditional ski with a very soft flex trying to be different than a race ski that way. It only partly succeeds - to me too one dimensional, however refined.

The Peaks I've tried are different: they are both looser when that is wanted, and easier for recreational all mountain skiing, while retaining the precision of a near race ski without locking you in to that edge - instead giving you lots of options, your choice - carve, slarve or pivot, and lots in between. And just so different. (Myself, mostly I carve, by choice - and appreciate the different possible turn shapes, and freedom.)

i'd rather be on an FIS SL or FIS GS than the MX 88; or something like Head eSpeed Rebel World Cup RD 180/18, etc. Even a Brahma 88/170 of the last generation - lots of other skis also. I just don't favor the way that MX88 locks one into its own soft carve like glue, however dialed in.

The comparable ski to the 106 is the Peak 104, which I won't get to ski for another month or so. But @tomahawkins has that ski and posted on it here:

That ski does shorter turns, which you seem to favor, on and off piste, but with similar dynamics to the other Peaks.
Your 106, to me, is a very good ski. The 104 Peak might be a fun contrast, and a very good ski also - and for what you do as well.

Read the Peak 88 reviews in the reviews section. It would solve the "too much work" problem with its keyhole dampening, etc.
Sorry I have not been on that one and not in trees either. :)

Last edited:

Galun

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @ski otter 2

How would you compare the Peak 98 to the Kastle FX 106 HP? Under what conditions would you bring one out over the other?

My MX89 were pretty old, probably 5+ seasons ago. Compared to the more recent MX88, I think it’s much stiffer and have full camber. At my current physical shape I think I will appreciate some rocker and softer ski so I can get a bit lazy when I get tired. I think my son who is a U16 will like it as his all mountain ski!

To me it seems like on days I would enjoy the peak 88 I would probably like my sl skis better. The 110 seems interesting, it seems like with that you can carve instead of surf pow. I have surf pow skis so I can ”justify” that 110. If the peak 98 is sufficiently different from FX 106 HP I might just pull the trigger! Or maybe I can’t justify the 110, and I make a friend here to go in together!

You mentioned the 104s and I read the link. Did you say the 104 does shorter turns than the 98 or 88? Like… how does that work?

I really wish there is a chance to demo these. One run in the trees and I can make up my mind. I get the keyhole explanation etc but it’s still a pretty big leap of faith to get stated 25m radius skis when I like tight trees.

Last edited:

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Where is this deal on the Peaks? Can’t find it on their site

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was under the impression that the binding for the Peak skis should be Pivots of various DIN's. Their website made a big deal out of the short mounting point of the Pivots would not interfere with the flex of the ski.That's why they offer the Pivots on their website. They keep saying it's not about the sidecut but the flex pattern. I'm thinking that a lot of bindings are possibly interfering with that flex pattern causing peoples impression to be unsatisfactory. I have Peak 88/183 and 104/178 that I'm quite happy with their all around turn shapes. I have Pivots on both pair. Whatya think? I'm coming from older MX 83/183. The Peaks just feel a lot more accommodating.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was next to someone in line with these skis. I asked him if he was a friend of Bode's, he gave me a confused look. My Bad, wasn't wearing my reading glasses. :cool:

1678743212187.png

Sponsor