• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peloton

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Do we need a Peloton thread?

What exercises/classes are folks taking to prep for the season? I've started focusing a little less on cycling and a little more on Core strength and Glutes & Legs classes.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Same here! I love the core, G&L, barre, yoga (hip openers), and stretching classes right now.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Definitely a fan of Kristin's 10-min Focus Flow: Hip Openers. And Hannah's Barre classes. They make my glutes burn!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Been hitting the gym for "Functional training" since about 5/6 years, given I realized then that to stay at a certain "proficiency level" in skiing I had come to an age where I couldn't simply "ski to get fit to ski" anymore, or at best get in shape with a few autumn weeks of ski conditioning program and with "general" sports in spring/summer. I now practice it year round. Not only as ski conditioning but as a general stay-fit program. Told the gym coach what my goals where, though, since the programs have to be skewed toward the skiing realm, at least a bit.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It is about 4 months too late to prep for the season. That being said, a Peloton won't give you what you need, unless you know exactly what you need through an assessment with a fitnes / health professional who has a deep understanding of alpine ski mechanics.

The vast majority of people have all the strength that they need to execute efficient movement patterns. The caveat is that few skiers know, or embrace, those movement patterns.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
It is about 4 months too late to prep for the season. That being said, a Peloton won't give you what you need, unless you know exactly what you need through an assessment with a fitnes / health professional who has a deep understanding of alpine ski mechanics.

The vast majority of people have all the strength that they need to execute efficient movement patterns. The caveat is that few skiers know, or embrace, those movement patterns.
Would like to hear a lot more about this, though probably off topic for a Peloton thread

For my part, devotee of Power Zone training going on 3+ years. Aerobic base fitness ftw. I mix in HIIT and Hills stuff for MTB season, then come into Ski season more or less in good aerobic condition. I'm definitely missing the alpine ski mechanics stuff though. Functional fitness, bodyweight doesn't do enough, I don't think (based on experience).

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Would like to hear a lot more about this, though probably off topic for a Peloton thread

For my part, devotee of Power Zone training going on 3+ years. Aerobic base fitness ftw. I mix in HIIT and Hills stuff for MTB season, then come into Ski season more or less in good aerobic condition. I'm definitely missing the alpine ski mechanics stuff though. Functional fitness, bodyweight doesn't do enough, I don't think (based on experience).

I've been doing a lot of PZ as well - did the winter and spring challenges, but didn't join the summer challenge as I was cycling more outside. (I did follow along informally doing 2-3 PZ rides per week, but just not accountable to a team.) Lately, I've been catching up on the random rides I missed (did the Foo Fighters ride this morning!). I'm not joining the winter challenge, since I'll be in Tahoe away from the bike more often, but will likely follow along with the PZ schedule to keep up my aerobic fitness base.

But I also started doing HardCore on the Floor this summer, with a set strength schedule (with weights) and doing more core. Agree, I don't have the ski mechanics, but I also haven't set foot in a gym in almost two years. And the gym that I went to - none of the trainers there skied.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I've been doing a lot of PZ as well - did the winter and spring challenges, but didn't join the summer challenge as I was cycling more outside. (I did follow along informally doing 2-3 PZ rides per week, but just not accountable to a team.) Lately, I've been catching up on the random rides I missed (did the Foo Fighters ride this morning!). I'm not joining the winter challenge, since I'll be in Tahoe away from the bike more often, but will likely follow along with the PZ schedule to keep up my aerobic fitness base.

But I also started doing HardCore on the Floor this summer, with a set strength schedule (with weights) and doing more core. Agree, I don't have the ski mechanics, but I also haven't set foot in a gym in almost two years. And the gym that I went to - none of the trainers there skied.
Almost the same challenge schedule here. Haven't done the hard core stuff, need to find something, anything, that will stick for core/strength stuff for me.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
The Hardcore schedule is pretty good. It's 40 mins per day, but a mix of 10 and 20 minute classes, so if you don't have 40 mins (if you're pairing with a longer ride), you can modify per your schedule. The way it's structured:

Mon: 10-min core, 30-min glutes & legs classes
Tue: 10-min core, 30-min upper body classes
Wed: 10-min core, 30-min full body classes
Thu: 10-min core, 30-min pilates/yoga/foam rolling (rest day)
Fri: 10-min core, 30-min lower body (glutes & legs, barre, pilates) classes
Sat: 10-min core, 30-min upper body classes
Sun: walk, yoga, foam rolling (rest day)

I don't follow it exactly, but the calendar literally links to specific classes each day, so it saves me from the decision analysis paralysis.

I know it's not functional movement, but I feel like strengthening my core will help with everything.....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For a minute there I thought this thread was going to be about Mr. Big. (RIP) Peloton just can't buy or scavenge good PR, can they?

I know it's not functional movement, but I feel like strengthening my core will help with everything.....

If 'core' includes pelvic floor muscles, they make an unbelievable difference in bike fit and saddle pressure management...

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

In cycling, for example, your Source of the Truth should be performance metabolic testing (image below). This is where you are in a lab. The practitioner is a master's, or PhD level physiologist. You on on a bike erg. You are breathing into a mask, and your exhaust gasses are measured. The load is increased, incrementally, and every 2 - 5 minutes (depending on practitioner), you get pricked and a drop of blood is taken to measure lactate levels (lactate is a proxy for a negatively charged hydrogen ion - what causes muscle burn). Cost is $200 - $400. At the low end, the cost of a high performance pair of tires. An FPT test in your basement just provides a glimpse.

In skiing, it is also a MS or PhD level physiologist, exercise science person, or PT. they will lead you through dry land dills. These drills will help them understand if your body can influence your skis in the three ways that we are able to. There will be specific tests for strength. Most people have all the strength that they need to execute. The best practioner that I have found is a PhD PT in Seattle. She is also a PSIA L3. She can work remotely. A trip out to ski with her for a day, and then do a day in her clinic, would be like 10 years on your own. Go hit Baker while you are out there.

What is lacking for most is technique. That is accomplished with an instructor or coach. If you are not working with said mentor, if you are not in the snow 4 - 6 times per week, executing drills for an hour or two, if your time is spent in the gym, in the words of strength training coach Louie Simmons, "When you attempt to build capacity on dysfunction, you are actually deepening the attractor state of your compensation. Thus, you are building compensation, not capacity.” For example, you may think that you need HIT training for cycling. However without data that is specific to you, you are in a place where you don't know what you don't know.

For my money, spending a few hundred to enlist a true professional is money well spent. I find that when one has accurate, granular information, you have a clear path.

IME, as an instructor, the boat that everyone misses is range of motion training that is specific to their bodies, and their specific skiing movement patterns.

Enjoy.

Performance testing 1.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
For a minute there I thought this thread was going to be about Mr. Big. (RIP) Peloton just can't buy or scavenge good PR, can they?

If 'core' includes pelvic floor muscles, they make an unbelievable difference in bike fit and saddle pressure management...

Oh yes! Kegels also pay huge benefits in other domains!

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
In cycling, for example, your Source of the Truth should be performance metabolic testing (image below). This is where you are in a lab. The practitioner is a master's, or PhD level physiologist. You on on a bike erg. You are breathing into a mask, and your exhaust gasses are measured. The load is increased, incrementally, and every 2 - 5 minutes (depending on practitioner), you get pricked and a drop of blood is taken to measure lactate levels (lactate is a proxy for a negatively charged hydrogen ion - what causes muscle burn). Cost is $200 - $400. At the low end, the cost of a high performance pair of tires. An FPT test in your basement just provides a glimpse.

In skiing, it is also a MS or PhD level physiologist, exercise science person, or PT. they will lead you through dry land dills. These drills will help them understand if your body can influence your skis in the three ways that we are able to. There will be specific tests for strength. Most people have all the strength that they need to execute. The best practioner that I have found is a PhD PT in Seattle. She is also a PSIA L3. She can work remotely. A trip out to ski with her for a day, and then do a day in her clinic, would be like 10 years on your own. Go hit Baker while you are out there.

What is lacking for most is technique. That is accomplished with an instructor or coach. If you are not working with said mentor, if you are not in the snow 4 - 6 times per week, executing drills for an hour or two, if your time is spent in the gym, in the words of strength training coach Louie Simmons, "When you attempt to build capacity on dysfunction, you are actually deepening the attractor state of your compensation. Thus, you are building compensation, not capacity.” For example, you may think that you need HIT training for cycling. However without data that is specific to you, you are in a place where you don't know what you don't know.

For my money, spending a few hundred to enlist a true professional is money well spent. I find that when one has accurate, granular information, you have a clear path.

IME, as an instructor, the boat that everyone misses is range of motion training that is specific to their bodies, and their specific skiing movement patterns.

Enjoy.

View attachment 151284
Added to my wish list! Challenging enough to get 15+ days a season living in the South East - but - this is right up my alley. Someday . . .

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Added to my wish list! Challenging enough to get 15+ days a season living in the South East - but - this is right up my alley. Someday . . .

Next ski vaca.... hit up Anne in Seattle. You can ski Baker, Crystal and Stevens. There are being hammered this year. And unlike CO, altitude won't be a limiter to your performance.

DM me with your email and I can introduce you to her. If she has some video of your skiing it would go a long way as well.

Hope that you have an exceptional snow year. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a pundit about the need to hire a professional, get testing, etc. to build some general fitness for skiing. Not because it isn't an awesome idea, but because the vast majority of people are just never going to quite do it.

There are innumerable, generalized, pre-season, ski-focussed fitness programs out there, and embracing one -- or alternating between 3 of them every 2 days -- is a perfectly fine approach.

And far better than doing nothing.

IMO.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I totally get that there are "more professional" ways to prepare for ski season. That wasn't really the intent of this thread - to ask what is better than Peloton for getting in ski shape.

I was only asking the Peloton owners out there what they are doing. We could do a whole separate thread on the best possible way to prep for ski season.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yikes! I never thought of having to prepare for ski season! I golf every day during off season and I do pilates reformer at home. That’s about it...
I also thought this was about Big and SATC!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I totally get that there are "more professional" ways to prepare for ski season. That wasn't really the intent of this thread - to ask what is better than Peloton for getting in ski shape.

I was only asking the Peloton owners out there what they are doing. We could do a whole separate thread on the best possible way to prep for ski season.

Peloton would be useful for building aerobic capacity, provided that is what you need. if you run 20 - 30 miles per week now (for example), riding a trainer is most certainly what you don't need. In reality, cycling and running are not drivers of ski performance unless weight loss is needed or FPT is really low. Cycling does have its own outstanding benefits for training metabolic delivery systems. Explosive motions, lateral movements, and training your medial glut (strong medial glut = stable femur = stable knee) are. So are range of motion drills to increase hip mobility.

Again though, if you haven't had some sort of analysis, you just don't know. We are all a study of one.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@martyg - There are a lot of weights/strength, yoga, barre, pilates, stretching, bootcamp classes on the Peloton. It's not just cycling or running. Again, I know there is an option of professional analysis. But most folks are not doing that or do not have easy access to that.

So - as I said - I was just asking other Peloton owners what they are focusing on.

Sponsor

Staff online