• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peloton

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I pick classes based on the music, intensity, and instructor. I add in as much strength training as i can with a basic home gym. Bike boot camps and boxing are my mix it up workouts.
We'll see how it translates to on hill fitness and racing performance. :)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a pundit about the need to hire a professional, get testing, etc. to build some general fitness for skiing. Not because it isn't an awesome idea, but because the vast majority of people are just never going to quite do it.

There are innumerable, generalized, pre-season, ski-focussed fitness programs out there, and embracing one -- or alternating between 3 of them every 2 days -- is a perfectly fine approach.

And far better than doing nothing.

IMO.
I worked with a personal trainer at a place called Fitness Together for about a year (summer 2018 to summer 2019). The ski season during that time was easily the best I've had since I was a teenager. I didn't lose a lot of weight but he focused all the functional training towards skiing and I had amazing core and leg strength. I highly recommend it if you can afford it. I stopped because it was really expensive.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I pick classes based on the music, intensity, and instructor. I add in as much strength training as i can with a basic home gym. Bike boot camps and boxing are my mix it up workouts.
We'll see how it translates to on hill fitness and racing performance. :)
I’m going to give that boxing program a try next week. Seems to mix a lot of cardio and core.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I worked with a personal trainer at a place called Fitness Together for about a year (summer 2018 to summer 2019). The ski season during that time was easily the best I've had since I was a teenager. I didn't lose a lot of weight but he focused all the functional training towards skiing and I had amazing core and leg strength. I highly recommend it if you can afford it. I stopped because it was really expensive.

My admittedly anecdotal observation is that the single biggest benefit that most people realize from employing a coach is that they become much more motivated to, shall we say, Get Er Done.

I've just never needed that motivation, but I've had two good friends ride the Coaching Approach from mid-pack fodder to podium contenders in endurance mtb racing, dang them!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My admittedly anecdotal observation is that the single biggest benefit that most people realize from employing a coach is that they become much more motivated to, shall we say, Get Er Done.

I've just never needed that motivation, but I've had two good friends ride the Coaching Approach from mid-pack fodder to podium contenders in endurance mtb racing, dang them!
I agree about the motivational aspect because I don't work out nearly as much as I did with the trainer. For people who don't lack the motivational issues like me I still think there's a benefit to trying a personal trainer for a period of time. Before working with the trainer I did little to no functional training. I had no experience with it and I didn't see the benefit. He showed me how to do personalized skiing-focused functional training that I can do at home. I tracked all of the exercises and have nearly all the same equipment at home now.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone on here wants my Peloton name, PM me and we can bench race!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whoa hold on there Lance. Bench racing doesn't actually involve any activity!! I've won many a bench race... :roflmao:
There is a theory out there that some people cheat on the leaderboard by hooking a power drill to the crank. The ride I did this AM, #1 on the leaderboard was at 100% resistance and a ~120 cadence. That a better bench race? :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wait until the spinners show up with the router motors :D

And here I thought everybody cheated by simply adding 20 pounds to their actual weight.

I'm such a simpleton.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m going to give that boxing program a try next week. Seems to mix a lot of cardio and core.

I was excited to see the boxing addition, sounds fun! Glad for the reminder that I need to try it out.

I also do hardcore on the floor, though I switch things up a lot. Like I’ll do the intended type of workouts for the day, but might pick different classes based on instructors I prefer etc.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is about 4 months too late to prep for the season.

Those 4 months are also among the best cycling months, so no time for preparations, you just jump on the ski straight from the bike and hope for the best.
Vice versa in April.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you are looking for a machine to help you get and keep in shape for skiing, get a Skiers Edge. They work and have a couple of decades of a track record amongst many national ski teams. They are not cheap, but are worth it.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
If you are looking for a machine to help you get and keep in shape for skiing, get a Skiers Edge. They work and have a couple of decades of a track record amongst many national ski teams. They are not cheap, but are worth it.

Thanks, but that's not my goal - just to get in shape for skiing. It's general fitness and health. Right now, I'm using a Peloton for that, since it has cycling, strength, and a bunch of other classes. Really, this thread was just intended to talk about what folks are doing on the Peloton and what classes they might be doing to prep for skiing. It seems to have gone all over the place, but that was the intent.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've taken a couple of core classes the last two days...I had neglected this part of my body for a while! :eek: Good to get back to it, though I am weaker than I'd like to be.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January