• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

People You Have Met Along the Way

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Two women, whose chair I shared at Jackson Hole. One was dating a patroller; the other an instructor. They asked me if I would mind if they lit up! Then they took me down "Paintbrush" and "Toilet Bowl". Afterwards they proclaimed that I was a "pretty good skier for a guy from New York". Loved those women!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There is something about skiing that can bring out the best in us. Many of the people I've met because of skiing have remained great friends. Even those who have moved on that I don't see or talk to on a regular basis. Never turn down the chance for a chairlift chat; you've no idea who you may meet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Skiing has allowed me to meet some very fine people, two Olympic Gold Medal winners, one Silver Medal winner, School Teachers, Restaurant owners, Accountants, fellow ski shop workers/owners, and of course the people here on this site. Most have added value to my skiing life and would not have missed it for the world.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Met a neighbor just a few years back while I was carrying skis out to the car. He is in his 80's and has a brother who moved to Telluride in the late '70's and is still there. We sometimes hang out and share our old ski pics and videos along with a few beers. He has pics of skiing the Bugaboos with his mom 50 years ago! We also share a love of sailing lore and swap books on fun subjects like naval history.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Met an elderly Inuit (Eskimo) on the Alaskan Peninsula in the late 70's. Charlie was probably 80 then. Really loved this guy, he could have survived in the bush with nothing but his pocket knife. In his youth Charlie had been the hunter for 2 native villages in the region, this would have been back in the 20's and 30's. He would run a dog sled in the winter months, on his route for a week hunting caribou and moose and unload at the villages going through. Went water fowl hunting on the river with him one afternoon, very efficient, (our society would consider him a poacher), he would ground sluice birds without a thought. In his down time he would hunt brown bears for museums (the area in known for big ones), where only an eye shot was accepted.
Well Charlie was getting old and his eye sight was just not as good as it used to be, so for safety he had recently stepped up to a bigger caliber rifle with more stopping power. Charlie had just bought a .222.
Our nation does not produce people like Charlie anymore, Canada might. Someday they may be needed again.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January