• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone posting ski personal (ie of you) videos to discuss / show off / MA?

Seems like nobody has posted this season.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The masochist went up to the sadist and implored "Hit me! Hit me!"
The sadist cooly replied. "No."

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
42-56479408.jpg

Come on in, the water is fine.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Different angle: How much time have you invested in training buddies how to film? How did you get them on board? What technology are you (they) using? Are they using your camera or yours?

Leaving aside my numerous skiing shortcomings, I find these challenges make the question about posting video moot. No one wants to invest time in this activity. When they do, there ALWAYS seem to be major technical hurdles. If using their own gear, the battery is always at 6% when they pull it out and everything dies before it's done. If we get past THAT, they are not up to figuring out how to share the footage. (My ski friends are generally not members of the digital generation.)

If they use my gear, they don't know how to use it. For starters, if it's my phone, it always locks up before they can click the "record" button.

Anyway, I have really struggled with these obstacles over the years. Others?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Give a snow reporter a little cash to film you.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different angle: How much time have you invested in training buddies how to film? How did you get them on board? What technology are you (they) using? Are they using your camera or yours?

Leaving aside my numerous skiing shortcomings, I find these challenges make the question about posting video moot. No one wants to invest time in this activity. When they do, there ALWAYS seem to be major technical hurdles. If using their own gear, the battery is always at 6% when they pull it out and everything dies before it's done. If we get past THAT, they are not up to figuring out how to share the footage. (My ski friends are generally not members of the digital generation.)

If they use my gear, they don't know how to use it. For starters, if it's my phone, it always locks up before they can click the "record" button.

Sounds tricky. I am lucky that most of my ski friends are in a similar position to me, always wanting more shots for social media, We alternate filming and then the videos are generally shared by that evening.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Anyone posting ski personal (ie of you) videos to discuss / show off / MA?
Seems like nobody has posted this season.

Use the Search bar and enter either "video" or "gopro" and one will see activity during most days. Also there are plenty of recent videos within the "Video and Photography Stoke" sub-forum.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Yeah I would get more video if it wasn't like pulling teeth to get it. And then it's filmed vertical and slightly askew of the horizon... and I'm not actually in frame for most of it... and smartphone cameras with no real zoom are pretty crap for this sort of thing anyway.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
...Leaving aside my numerous skiing shortcomings, I find these challenges make the question about posting video moot. No one wants to invest time in this activity. When they do, there ALWAYS seem to be major technical hurdles. If using their own gear, the battery is always at 6% when they pull it out and everything dies before it's done. If we get past THAT, they are not up to figuring out how to share the footage. (My ski friends are generally not members of the digital generation.)...

Decades ago when those huge VHS-C camcorders emerged, I often made videos but few over the last couple decades for reasons similar to what you relate. Although many people carry smartphones with camera/video functions, their wide angle lens nature is not functional as a subject at even minor distances look like a black ant until they get close. For traditional style videos, a static person using a normal lens angle of view records someone moving skiing down, passing near, and continuing to ski below. Today many have tiny GoPro POV type cameras where one person if stable can ski close enough behind another person that it is effective. In any case either way, unless a person has some experience doing so with whatever device, there are a list of ways the recording may turn out useless. People should expect to back home USPS mail each other cheap sub $5 SDmem cards or USB memory sticks with recording files because file sizes even for 1080P are too large for say email.

Because of that it is wiser to work with someone else like this person before getting out on slopes. One of the worst issues with the static situation is not keeping the subject skier in the frame. It may start out fine but after a short distance given bright snow conditions trying to see what is going on in a viewfinder or LCD, they loose track of that person and spend all their time trying to get them back in the frame. With the POV helmet mounted following situation, the person behind needs to be an advanced skier with a stable upper body or the result may be ridiculous. In any case, much of the time snow slope illumination is poor due to sun on bright snow harshness or flat light so it is important to understand light conditions when shooting so is worthwhile. There are tons of POV recordings on the web where snow surfaces are featureless white blanks. Doesn't need to be. Much more of course.

I have a GoPro Hero 8 Black and am actually interested this season working with someone else that can descend mogul fields or fresh powder. I'm stable enough in bumps I could even ski behind anyone to record. Am also a decades old serious photographer that knows when, where and how. For traditional style static videos, I have a tiny Canon ELPH 190 with a 10X zoom that is normally in my pocket while skiing as I do not carry my smartphone. Anyone skiing Heavenly or Kirkwood interested might PM me.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online