• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, here's the deal. This thread is reopened again. The videos that are not of a personal nature will be left up HOWEVER, please stay on the topic and post only PERSONAL videos from this point forward. Please only comment/respond to those personal videos. Several posts have been removed. Don't make me stop the car again or the thread will be left on the side of the road. :ogbiggrin:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Not much from this season, on and off as it was :doh: just something resembling slalom turns on an eastern black...

A nice visual of how tipping/edging movements begin at the feet & work up the kinetic chain while maintaining good balance, energy & alignment. Gets the job done effectively & efficiently for these type of turns :ogcool:.

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
found this in the archives ;) Here is the steepest groomed run in the province, nothing like the stuff in the real mountains :(

it doesn't look much in the video, so here is how it looks from the bottom...

1620352675370.png

Last edited:

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Ok here's a somewhat recent video of my working on short turns. What was pointed out to me this morning by Sam Robertson is that I'm losing the flexion in the hip in the finish of the turn. The subject of the discussion was on the "athletic" stance. We had quite a discussion of what an athletic stance was. One of the elements is flexion in the hip (e.g. an anterior tilt to the pelvis). Why is this important? It provides access to leg rotation and tipping.

What's clear in this video, imo, is that while I develop this hip flexion in the initiation of the turn, I lose it in the finish. I suspect the reason is that I'm trying to get "backside heavy" to move to the tail of the ski to increase grip and set the edge. What I need instead is to move aft by flexing the knee as opposed to extending in the hip in the finish? In any case, finding a way to maintain the hip flexion is going to be my next focus, perhaps if I can get back on snow tomorrow...

Mike, While I can clearly follow and understand your analysis, It may be that you are "treating the symptoms and not the disease" when you talk about hip flexion IMO.

What I think needs to be worked on is vertical separation. It appears the inside leg and ski is participating too much in the turning process and needs to be actively shortened to allow the outside ski room to build edge angle via angulation and hip/pelvic inclination. Without this active focus on early and progressive shortening you end up finding your edge angle through total body inclination and upper body (shoulder) counter as you get into the belly of the turn well before the need to begin transitional movements.

1620395006321.png

As you addressed, an athletic stance geared at promoting the progressive building of angles is a good place to start.

And to your post about my thoughts on the "get over it" drill... First and foremost, it is a drill. But it is a drill that establishes and develops centered balance OVER the outside ski during transition and creates (preemptively) the vertical separation I addressed above .

4ster

Instructor
Thanks everyone for posting your personal ski videos.

Probably my final turns of the season at A-basin last week:

Nice, well balanced & consistent! I only saw your knuckles drag once ogwink .
Your subtle use of sound effects works well.
:ogcool:

My season is over as of a week ago, I miss it already.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a video of my stupid human skiing trick of no poles in pretty big bumps at A-basin Friday. I even inadvertently skied my first lap with unbuckled boots. Homage to or haunted by @KingGrump? ogsmile

I wanted to video the awesome conditions and didn't bring my helmet cam. So camera in hand sans poles it was.

I managed to ski Ramrod top to bottom on my first lap. First time ever without poles. So, I thought it would be a good challenge to see how many laps I could manage. I quit after four laps and exhausted legs.

Here's the play by play for each lap so you can skip ahead:

0:00 - First run. Oops, my boots are unbuckled!​
1:55 - The second run was much smoother and a bit faster with my boots buckled.​
3:39 - I unsuccessfully try to keep up with a pretty good bump skier. We both got yelled at by snowboarders unaware of mogul skiing etiquette.​
5:14 - My fourth and final lap. Maybe a bit smoother. My tired legs said no more.​

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is this?
Basically, be careful to stay out of somebody's line. If you are stopped in someone's line coming from above, slide to the side so they don't have to switch lines. Before starting or while traversing across the hill look up and make sure you don't interfere with someone's line. Just be aware of who's coming down and try not to screw up their run.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Basically, be careful to stay out of somebody's line. If you are stopped in someone's line coming from above, slide to the side so they don't have to switch lines. Before starting or while traversing across the hill look up and make sure you don't interfere with someone's line. Just be aware of who's coming down and try not to screw up their run.

It's frustrating. Many people just don't get it. One time an instructor parked his class smack in the middle of the only line on the mountain while he pontificated endlessly to the class. I spent my lift ticket, plus time off from work, solely to run that line, and then it was being blocked for no good reason. Ski it, or don't ski it, but don't stand in it without anyone skiing. As I skied by I said, "don't stand in the middle of the line", and the instructor replied, "there is no line" to which I replied, "there is only the line." This began my realization that the instructor world and I are not on the same page when it comes to moguls. So, we can argue here now online, and it's all fun and games until you block the only line on the mountain. Then, it's war!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It's frustrating. Many people just don't get it. One time an instructor parked his class smack in the middle of the only line on the mountain while he pontificated endlessly to the class. I spent my lift ticket, plus time off from work, solely to run that line, and then it was being blocked for no good reason. Ski it, or don't ski it, but don't stand in it without anyone skiing. As I skied by I said, "don't stand in the middle of the line", and the instructor replied, "there is no line" to which I replied, "there is only the line." This began my realization that the instructor world and I are not on the same page when it comes to moguls. So, we can argue here now online, and it's all fun and games until you block the only line on the mountain. Then, it's war!
Your mistake was not saying "Please". Love your come-back "There is only the line" Food for thought; it might expand his perspective.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Your mistake was not saying "Please". Love your come-back "There is only the line" Food for thought; it might expand his perspective.
Well, he was probably trying to broaden my perspective. I'm fine with him adopting a philosophy where he's not "constrained by the line", but reciprocally don't physically block me from the kind of skiing I want to do.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Hmmm.... can't speak for other organisations however the CSIA takes a fairly keen interest in safety. A safety violation is the quickest way to fail a teaching assessment. Things like: taking up less than the whole width of the trail when skiing; taking your group to the edge of the trail for stops; not stopping out of sight below a crest; pointing our merging trails; and stopping away from underneath lifts.

Got a mention in the notes on one Teach assessment for stopping in the vague vicinity of underneath a lift even though it would have taken a pretty good pitcher to hit us. It was far enough out of the path to not get a ping however they made the point - stay aware.

OTOH I've been in enough classes on the edge of the trail and had skiers/boarders squeeze between us and trees at speed because that's the line for their favorite jump. :nono:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
After early April, did not look at this thread. Just went through whole thread and see much went off topic. Overly long threads are tedious to find specific posts in and with off topic pages make finding posts more difficult. Lacking a post table of contents with a members name and first few words of their comment, I'd prefer to see this thread closed and re-started for 2021/22 season personal videos with an OP relating comment restrictions. For those wishing to vector into side discussions, one can always post a link into a new thread for whatever.

4ster

Instructor
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online