• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just had a week of skiing with some boots that have been tinkered with. I have +- 1 cm of leg length difference and my body has suffered quite a bit from that. A bootfitter cut out my toe and heel piece from my boot and inserted new ones with some epoxy glue and screws. One boot is now 1 cm higher than the other one. First time in years I wasn't in a buttload of pain.

IMG-20220207-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220207-WA0001.jpg

Maybe hard to see the adjustment on the pics.

Short clips due to bad vid quality, and voices and faces that needed to be cut out. But I am really happy with the result and a bit surprised too. I was bit scared that my boot wouldn't survive, but it held up like a charm. Any other people here with this issue?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any other people here with this issue?
There is or was an article written by another member with different leg lengths who had something similar done, FairToMiddling.

I seem to remember a comment that the usual practice is to correct half the difference, because your body has adapted (or tried to) and having it suddenly go away would cause problems. Did your guy correct all of it?

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is or was an article written by another member with different leg lengths who had something similar done, FairToMiddling.

I seem to remember a comment that the usual practice is to correct half the difference, because your body has adapted (or tried to) and having it suddenly go away would cause problems. Did your guy correct all of it?
Yes, everything got corrected. 'My guy' said the same thing about usually not correcting everything. But I have been correcting my posture and leg lenght difference for a couple of years now (e.g. going to a physiotherapist every week) and have almost undone all the adaption my body has done in the past. Even a couple of mm of difference causes me a lot of physical issues.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Different angle: How much time have you invested in training buddies how to film? How did you get them on board? What technology are you (they) using? Are they using your camera or yours?

Leaving aside my numerous skiing shortcomings, I find these challenges make the question about posting video moot. No one wants to invest time in this activity. When they do, there ALWAYS seem to be major technical hurdles. If using their own gear, the battery is always at 6% when they pull it out and everything dies before it's done. If we get past THAT, they are not up to figuring out how to share the footage. (My ski friends are generally not members of the digital generation.)

If they use my gear, they don't know how to use it. For starters, if it's my phone, it always locks up before they can click the "record" button.

Anyway, I have really struggled with these obstacles over the years. Others?
This.
I am mostly skiing one these days, or with family.
In past times though, I was the "cameraman"; despite not being the only one equipped with gopro and smartphones, whenever I was looking to be filmed, all of the above came usually into play. Another excuse one was "sorry we got no time".Or maybe someone else got videoed...
Hence the not so many clips of me skiing...

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The subject of how to successfully perform a video is off topic but indeed worth mentioning in this thread again without discussing deeply. I for one would welcome someone starting a new how to with advice thread within the Video and Photography Stoke sub-forum with moderators setting that up as a sticky thread at top since otherwise any normal thread will soon be pushed down, to stale back pages, ignored. In the past I've tried to encourage more photography and video on this board but that won't gain traction or interest unless we can elevate others above walls of difficulty.

The @Tony S post you quote is way back on thread page 1 as was my response. One can train others to use a camcorder or POV device but simply vocally explaining that to someone while riding up a lift is likely to be a disaster because videos have far more ways to end up failures than simply snapping a photo with a compact digital camera or smartphone that is bad enough. As someone doing test engineering over decades, writing myriad test processes, a way to teach others to learn complicated processes is not to only demonstrate whatever but also to create a detailed procedural document any person can refresh the sequence of whatever they saw demonstrated earlier. With skiing videos, that could be a sheet of printed instructions in larger bolded font easy to read outdoors in sun. Even someone familiar with a process would be wise to review their own instructions if much time has passed since previous use.

With photography or video, one should also pay attention to natural light conditions that is often difficult in bright snow or shade or flat light cloudy conditions. There are a list of reasons illumination in my following video worked well including the shadow dance.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My epiphany with a PoV camera is that the footage is much more engaging when it is taken using a chest mount position. The huge FoV of my GO 2 camera when used with the chest mount provides much more visibility of my skis, poles, and arms. My friends and family that have seen the footage have commented that it's like a VR experience; they really feel like they're there skiing the run.

My old helmet mount footage isn't nearly as exciting because it doesn't replicate the "being there" feel.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
The @Tony S post you quote is way back on thread page 1 as was my respons
My post quoting such an old one was simply to reinforce the fact that there is not much footage of me skiing due to claimed "circumstances", rather than inability, of others to "tape" me.
Much of the footage comes from technical training where the coach(es) use(s) the video(s) for MA
My epiphany with a PoV camera is that the footage is much more engaging when it is taken using a chest mount position. The huge FoV of my GO 2 camera when used with the chest mount provides much more visibility of my skis, poles, and arms. My friends and family that have seen the footage have commented that it's like a VR experience; they really feel like they're there skiing the run.

My old helmet mount footage isn't nearly as exciting because it doesn't replicate the "being there" feel.
Been using the chest mount since the beginning. The helmet/head mounted footage makes me seasick when watching it, because no matter what, we skiers keep, even unconsciously but continously, swiveling our heads L/R and U/D to check for "dangers" or pathes.
@SSSdave , the last posts about footage techniques and hints are really interesting and deserve at least a thread on their own, IMVHO, whether kept at the top or not, will depend on the quality of the posts. Is there a mod willing to extract the posts here? Or shall we start a new one right away?

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Definitely not the case with the Insta360 GO 2 using the magnetic pendant mount.

If there's any hard object on your chest, it can break ribs or puncture the sternum if you happen to face plant. The only way to avoid it is to spread out the force on a big plate, but then you risk getting stabbed by the edges of the plate. It's not terribly common to land on your chest, but it happens. I suppose there's risk with a helmet mount if it catches on something and hangs ya, but I see that as lower risk. If you search around forums you can read stories of injuries from chest cams.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If there's any hard object on your chest, it can break ribs or puncture the sternum if you happen to face plant. The only way to avoid it is to spread out the force on a big plate, but then you risk getting stabbed by the edges of the plate. It's not terribly common to land on your chest, but it happens. I suppose there's risk with a helmet mount if it catches on something and hangs ya, but I see that as lower risk. If you search around forums you can read stories of injuries from chest cams.

You should take a look at how the magnetic pendant mount works. No way is this a risk. The pendant has a fairly wide diameter and the camera will pop right off of the pendant if there's a force applied to it. Your ski poles pose more danger.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
You should take a look at how the magnetic pendant mount works. No way is this a risk. The pendant has a fairly wide diameter and the camera will pop right off of the pendant if there's a force applied to it. Your ski poles pose more danger.

If it's between your chest and the ground when you impact, then it can hurt. It doesn't matter if it breaks away. The risk isn't from it getting caught on something. The risk is from having an object between the chest and the ground when you impact the ground at the moment of impact. Poles are dangerous, which is one reason kids aren't given them. An experienced skier can mitigate it a lot. I suppose an experienced skier may be able to keep from landing on the chest, but if you do land on your chest, there is no mitigation to keep an object from focusing the force onto a small area whether it breaks away or not. Sometimes the skis can catch and you go flying on your face. It happens.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
We all ski with 4 long knives and 2 short swords, and other assorted weapons. How much damage will falling on the fist sized rock cause, especially if it breaks when you do?
More ski videos please.

Exactly. The GO 2 is actually about the size of a finger, forget a fist.

But as you noted, let's get back to ski videos and I will acquiesce to Sanity's vastly superior knowledge of all things including skiing...

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
But as you noted, let's get back to ski videos and I will acquiesce to Sanity's vastly superior knowledge of all things including skiing...

Geez, you're one to talk.

We all ski with 4 long knives and 2 short swords, and other assorted weapons. How much damage will falling on the fist sized rock cause, especially if it breaks when you do?
More ski videos please.

Back when I was figuring out where to mount my camera I didn't like the idea of falling on this thing on my chest, but I wasn't sure how much damage it could do, so I researched it and found endless examples of broken ribs, punctured organs, etc. Really bad stuff, mostly with mountain biking. It's like a hammer and a nail. You can imagine landing on your chest and getting the wind knocked out of you. Now take that energy and focus it on one small part on your chest. Just now I scanned around google looking for those examples and not much is popping up that's compelling. I don't know why they've all disappeared. We could debate which is worse, helmet mount or chest mount. At least one biking organization has banned both, because of injuries. I think it depends on the circumstances. For me skiing, I think a helmet cam is safer. Regardless, you can definitely hurt yourself very badly with a chest cam, and having it break away won't help. A break away mount for a helmet cam can really improve safety for many types of injuries, but the main injury for the chest cam is landing directly on it, and having it break away won't eliminate the initial impact where the injury happens. There might be a similar type of issue with a helmet cam, though I think the forces are spread throughout the entire helmet. Most of the arguments about helmet cam safety focus on the helmet not working the way it's supposed to. I think this could be an issue with high speed racing and motorcycles. For me mogul skiing, I'm much more likely to land on my chest than on my head. What would be just an uncomfortable landing could turn into a 6 week recover or worse with a chest cam.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/09/15/Camera-cited-in-accidental-death/8170464068800/

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
How much damage will falling on the fist sized rock cause, especially if it breaks when you do?

Enough to bust a rib or two. Ask me how I know.

If the impact pushes whatever it is into the chest then it matters not one iota if the thing if held on by magnet or wind pressure. Busted ribs freakn hurt - @Sanity is correct here.

But, hey, maybe others are like the Na'vi. ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The topic was videos OF you, not videos BY you. I suppose it's possible that someone in motion with a go pro style cam could get a video of someone else that was useful for technique analysis. I haven't seen one in passing.

Sponsor

Staff online