• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier

Time to put my money where my mouth is in advance of the NE gathering and prove my claims that I'm a terminal intermediate skier whose choice of gear saves his ass in the bumps. Putting this here in hopes it gets buried :ogbiggrin: Hope instructor shot video counts. Pink jacket at 13:53 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Killington mogul camp on Low Road. After lunch, no warmup, day 1. Not my favorite run—I had an easier time reading the lines on Superstar—but better than the wide awkwardly spaced tiny bumps on Skyelark for day 2. Honestly, looked better than it felt. Stiffened up for the camera and felt like my worst run of the day. Visibility was like... 3 turns ahead. Low hanging heavy fog, slushy conditions. Observations in no particular order of importance:
  • I lead with my shoulder. Knew this already, work in progress
  • Separation is better on left footed turns, nonexistent on the right footed turns
  • Need to be much more disciplined with the poles instead of lazy flailing
  • Persistent backseat habit. I need to reach downhill with my whole body instead of bending.
  • Actually a couple of good turns at the end and ski-snow contact is not awful throughout

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Time to put my money where my mouth is in advance of the NE gathering and prove my claims that I'm a terminal intermediate skier whose choice of gear saves his ass in the bumps. Putting this here in hopes it gets buried :ogbiggrin: Hope instructor shot video counts. Pink jacket at 13:53 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Killington mogul camp on Low Road. After lunch, no warmup, day 1. Not my favorite run—I had an easier time reading the lines on Superstar—but better than the wide awkwardly spaced tiny bumps on Skyelark for day 2. Honestly, looked better than it felt. Stiffened up for the camera and felt like my worst run of the day. Visibility was like... 3 turns ahead. Low hanging heavy fog, slushy conditions. Observations in no particular order of importance:
  • Separation is better on left footed turns, nonexistent on the right footed turns
  • Persistent backseat habit. I need to reach downhill with my whole body instead of bending.
  • Actually a couple of good turns at the end and ski-snow contact is not awful throughout
Lookin' good. When you are free skiing and no one is shooting video you will loosen up a bit. :thumb:

FWIW I would much rather watch skiing like this than the linked recoveries (or not) of an over-adrenalized hotshot attempting fly through the bumps at a speed that he can't support. Perfect skis for that application, btw. Guess you already knew that.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Looks nice to me. I like how you are very quickly into the next turn. Very little (if any?) turn shopping in that video.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
So 35 years later I just came across this clip shot by the Mammoth Mountain race department in 1987!
C66F509B-CADE-441A-AEAD-360480AE8628.gif

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Different angle: How much time have you invested in training buddies how to film? How did you get them on board? What technology are you (they) using? Are they using your camera or yours?

Leaving aside my numerous skiing shortcomings, I find these challenges make the question about posting video moot. No one wants to invest time in this activity. When they do, there ALWAYS seem to be major technical hurdles. If using their own gear, the battery is always at 6% when they pull it out and everything dies before it's done. If we get past THAT, they are not up to figuring out how to share the footage. (My ski friends are generally not members of the digital generation.)

If they use my gear, they don't know how to use it. For starters, if it's my phone, it always locks up before they can click the "record" button.

Anyway, I have really struggled with these obstacles over the years. Others?

Easy Peazy. I used to ski behind clients with my tablet, loaded with Coach's Eye. Now I just use my iphone 13.

As for your buddies... If your goal is to improve your skiing, and your ski buddies are not on-board, maybe it is time to search out new buddies? Maybe join ski school as an entry level instructor?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Easy Peazy. I used to ski behind clients with my tablet, loaded with Coach's Eye. Now I just use my iphone 13.

As for your buddies... If your goal is to improve your skiing, and your ski buddies are not on-board, maybe it is time to search out new buddies? Maybe join ski school as an entry level instructor?
Coaches eye is a wonderful app for ski instructors.
Joining a ski school WILL make you better

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Coaches eye is a wonderful app for ski instructors.
Joining a ski school WILL make you better
FYI Coach's Eye closed shop last year. There are a few other apps out there, but I have not investigated.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So it's on my phone, but I can't add it to some other device?

whumber

Putting on skis
Skier
Definitely not a terminal intermediate, I remember you having a number of very good habits but just overthinking everything a bit while skiing. Getting more twist in the legs through the bottom of the turn will help you feel more nimble in the bumps and will also help you maintain better cuff pressure on the inside boot. You also have a bit of a tendency to tip with your whole body when turning to the left but not so much when going to the right. I also wouldn't overanalyze that video; for one even though it was an easy run the snow conditions were kind of all over the place on that run (we had pretty funky snow in general that weekend); it's fine for looking at gross movement patterns but don't be surprised to see non-ideal stuff happen with the skis in those conditions. Second, all but one of the people in the group absolutely locked up once the video camera came out; your other bump runs looked more relaxed that day. Here is another video we took where you were a bit more relaxed.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Definitely not a terminal intermediate, I remember you having a number of very good habits but just overthinking everything a bit while skiing. Getting more twist in the legs through the bottom of the turn will help you feel more nimble in the bumps and will also help you maintain better cuff pressure on the inside boot. You also have a bit of a tendency to tip with your whole body when turning to the left but not so much when going to the right. I also wouldn't overanalyze that video; for one even though it was an easy run the snow conditions were kind of all over the place on that run (we had pretty funky snow in general that weekend); it's fine for looking at gross movement patterns but don't be surprised to see non-ideal stuff happen with the skis in those conditions. Second, all but one of the people in the group absolutely locked up once the video camera came out; your other bump runs looked more relaxed that day. Here is another video we took where you were a bit more relaxed.
Real life, meet internet life! Time to change my name, fake my death, and move to Australia. Appreciate your thoughts. Spent the rest of the spring skiing bumps until my legs fell off, keeping your feedback in mind, so hopefully improvements have been made, and either way there's always next year's bump camp to look forward to.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Real life, meet internet life! Time to change my name, fake my death, and move to Australia. Appreciate your thoughts. Spent the rest of the spring skiing bumps until my legs fell off, keeping your feedback in mind, so hopefully improvements have been made, and either way there's always next year's bump camp to look forward to.

If you're ever out in the PNW, shoot me a message. I'd love to work with you, or could suggest a couple others who could really (and quickly) help you out!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Nipped over to Portillo for a few weeks, the conditions are the best they've been for years!
I’ve been following the Southern Hemisphere season. Looks amazing! Where are you teaching?

Daron Rahlves posted a similar Instagram video to your 2nd one this morning where he ends up in a race course after the chute.

Sponsor

Staff online