• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Those are Fischer Ranger 102s. I guess the GoPro gives the illusion of pointyness.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Folks have seen David's Little Dipper bump skiing videos. Per below now one can see he like many members greatly enjoys fresh powder snow too. Especially in the trees and awkward to reach ignored places.

Video is a 216 second video compilation from 6 skiing videos segments on March 6, 2023 at Heavenly Nevada ski resort. Was a very cold mostly hazy to cloudy day in teens with a brisk wind. Snow quality was extra dry cold after 17 inches one day before. Each segment is prefixed with a 6 second information slide including route or trail names, time of day, elapsed seconds with numbers of turns and then shows skiing through totally untracked snow. Pause the video for more time to read those slides. Total of 162 skiing seconds with 202 turns. Of course Youtube greatly compresses their online videos to reduce their bandwidth so quality suffers. I will be making my full uncompressed higher quality 1080p videos available online at a free web download site that one might then run directly on one's home computers.

SSSdave

Skier
Youtube Published another video that is 115 seconds long. This was my first powder run at 10:10 am on March 6, 2023, part of which was Segment 6 on the above video. Herein shows all 4 segments of that run down Cloud 9 off the Olympic Express quad. Trimmed out is a flat non-skiing section through flats, where I stopped at a knee to look behind at tracks, and where I crossed groomed Olympic Downhill trail to reach the last short powder section above the lift.

That morning, those parked at the Stagecoach base apparently opened maybe 10 minutes before we at the Boulder lot. And then because I expected the lift to open later per Heavenly tweets, was caught in Boulder lot at 9:25am with one ski boot not yet on, thus a lot of others were up on the mountain a bit sooner. However as I rode up the new North Bowl Express quad, there is one section on the ride up where one can spy in the distance the Cloud 9 trail, that at that time just had a single track ;) that is otherwise not in view of Olympic Express lift riders. So tends to be ignored haha.

Note on Segment 1, how I can readily make easy turns where most other heavier skiers without enough ski floatation don't even try to turn because they sink in too deeply then bog down. Same thing happens to this person if I'm on my 88mm at boot Santa Ana's instead of the 2012 Rossignol S7's that are 109mm at boot. I'll encourage other light skiers, especially many women, to find a fat ski with enough floatation to ski such lower gradient terrain because on fresh snow days it can open up considerable terrain that others won't track up.

In Segment 2, I ski a long mostly untracked line beside the groomed Crossover trail. On fresh powder days, it always amazes me how much perfectly skiable untracked powder lines are just off trails that others ignore even if slope gradients are enough. Part of that is being able to ski falls lines with control. Something that also is valuable tree skiing.

www.youtube.com/@davids1586

Last edited by a moderator:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
how I can readily make easy turns where most other heavier skiers without enough ski floatation don't even try to turn because they sink in too deeply then bog down.
"It's not that they don't have enough flotation to turn on low gradient slopes, it's that they can't turn & low gradient slopes prove it ;)"

SSSdave

Skier
GH010731-map.jpg

My top run so far of the 2023 season in some of the best glorious quality fresh snow we in Tahoe don't often experience. In fact, a bragger mostly below lifts, for this youthful 74 year old senior for years to come haha given it is now on Youtube. Heavenly had reported 17 inches the day before when the resort closed down, atop several feet more earlier in the week.

This was my Run 5 fresh powder run GoPro 8 recording of the day on Monday at 11:28 am on March 6, 2023 at Heavenly Nevada. Just before, I had got off to a slow start on Run 4, a rope drop Chinese Downhill at the top of Peppi's bulldozed traverse road cut as Heavenly opened up the East Peak lodge lifts. Instead of racing down Peppi's with dozens of others, I was in little hurry because I was confident where I planned to ski right below Dipper Express lift would not be tracked up. On Peppi's, lines with the most vertical towards the two East Peak lodge lifts, is by immediately within 100 feet, dropping left into sparse trees. Of course no one else did that. After 21 turns I crossed a couple of Heavenly employee tracks that use the route to reach Stagecoach runs. If one continues down too far, one gets stuck along flats of the East Lake man-made snow reservoir. Instead, about two-thirds below, turned right and traverse over to the Comet chair where I had little effort to reach the Dipper Express Quad singles line and immediately was in the front of those lines.

For Run 5 at the top of Dipper Express that is between 8640 and 9820 feet, just left of the groomed California Trail, is a short section of untracked powder right on the ridge line where in Segment 1, I made 26 turns with blue Lake Tahoe in the distance till ending that segment. Then skied down onto the left side of the wide groomed Orion trail where a ways below zoomed out with speed across ungroomed Cosmic Wave where a stopped snowboarder from Aries Woods had stopped bogged down all of which was trimmed out of the video. From there for Segment 2, is a wide untracked slot towards the Dipper Express Quad chair and the Orion trail over which I bounced 40 fun Zen-like rhythmic turns over 32 seconds before doglegging left right beneath the lift for another 20 turns over 18 seconds. At the dogleg someone above on the full chair lifts yelled out in approval then I responded with 2GUD. Next was a short 7 seconds on a well used ski track where I picked up enough speed to at a slight knee jumped off into untracked for 12 more turns below the lift before reaching the well already tracked Jacks.

From there was another trimmed out video section across Jacks and Orion to reach the Dipper Express lift line just left of the Nova run. From there for Segment 3 is a 250 foot steeper vertical slope right under the lift that already had three non-turning tracks where I easily made the most of bouncing 41 turns for the entertainment of lift riders. A total of 141 powder turns over 116 seconds.

David

Last edited:

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I must be missing something, I don’t really see any turns. Got any video of steeper terrain?

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
A rare sighting of a Razie on skis... managed to get some video in the busiest season, bad quality video of a pretty wild ride while exploring the power packed in some new skis...

Nice! Still shredding with your kids?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you MA me skiing off-piste without poles holding a selfie stick? :ogbiggrin:

I got a new Insta360 X3 camera and took it out on a selfie stick for a couple of hours over the weekend. From that, I have more video of me skiing than my entire skiing career, granted it's without poles. I am pretty comfortable without poles after years of skiing with our kiddos sans poles.

I wonder if more skiers will do this as 360 cameras become ubiquitous. It's super easy to shoot a video this way.

No need to be too kind. Anything you notice I should work on or think about while skiing?

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Can you MA me skiing off-piste without poles holding a selfie stick? :ogbiggrin:
Nope ;)

it’s probably just the camera angle but it appears you have a lot more uphill/inside ski lead on your left footers.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
That looks like fun but surely skiing with a selfie stick upsets your balance somewhat?
I will say what I see, not because I'm an expert (I'm definitely not) but because I'd like to learn. With your left turns it looks like your outside ski (on your right foot) is wobbling around a fair bit. Wouldn't that indicate excessive weight on the inside ski?

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier

I got a new Insta360 X3 camera and took it out on a selfie stick for a couple of hours over the weekend. From that, I have more video of me skiing than my entire skiing career, granted it's without poles. I am pretty comfortable without poles after years of skiing with our kiddos sans poles.

I wonder if more skiers will do this as 360 cameras become ubiquitous. It's super easy to shoot a video this way.

No need to be too kind. Anything you notice I should work on or think about while skiing?
'No need to be too kind' - this is the right approach, ditch the ego, the true way to learn even if you later test & reject any advice.

Flat light conditions of your VDO makes it difficult to do a proper MA but -
You demonstrate excellent balance & dynamic stance, core skills for skiing
The middle of the VDO clip - you show good lower/upper body separation - work on developing this even more
No poles but hands elbows must always be in front with light sure pole action - I assume you do this

Only areas for improvement -
1 - Work on greater range of flexion/extension for absorption/snow contact, esp in your ankles.
Adjust your boots for lowest flex, try one notch looser on the top cuff buckle, a little looser in the booster strap while maintaining shin/tongue contact
2 - Work on foot discipline, narrower stance. What master instructors like Johnathan Ballou psia 4, who is an excellent bump skier, do - on the hard pack he has a 'natural' wide stance - in the bumps he takes a narrow stance. There is function to this - all slalom skiers put their feet together to run a rapid flush - try wedlens with both a wide and narrow stance, feel which is more agile.
3- Edge to scrub/control scrub speed in the bumps, never to arc. You may be not scrubbing your edges enough. Work on ROUNDER scrubbed turns - you seem to like to run the zip line - instead, work more of the sides of the gutter and the shoulders of the bumps for your turns. When age injury or illness hits you, all that's left is technique, you CANNOT run the zip line forever.
4 - In soft bumps, work in a few top to tops, airplane turns - more tools in the box the better

And ski with intent, drill, drill - yeah bit nerdy but it leads to fun, it is fun, a beautiful sport

Work with a good bump skier/instructor (real time MA & feedback are key) like -
Julie Ray at Mary Jane - ex world jr freestyle champion, she knows what shes doing - not crazy about her typical bump spclst use of short poles & narrow hand/arm position & shuffling feet but she is a master
Or if youre up Canada way -
In the West work with Tobin Leopky, csia 4 + snowboard instructor, the next generation master instructor - and THE master of the bumps & steep & deep - he knows how to rip.
Or Canada East work with J F Beaulieu, csia 4, a master of the classic instructor bump skiing

Very few of us can come close to skiing like these masters but they are great aspirational models - note elements of my suggestions to you in their skiing

Julie Ray

J Ballou

T Leopky - skiing kinda pretty instructor style, but he can rip the bumps & the steep & deep, will teach you how

J F Beauliou - if you listen to him too much with his entrancing french accent, your head will explode & your skiing will go to shit - he is a master instructor

GL

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Come on guys,@tbis holding a selfie stick in his right hand and skiing a line. Of course a left turn is a bit loose, yours would too holding that piece of voodoo.