• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about some powder turns of mine from the last Pugski gathering at A-basin in May of 2019?

I welcome any feedback. Video courtesy of @nay, who was kind enough to shoot and post. Thanks!

Excuses: I'm on short, stiff, and narrow skis (85mm Blizzard Magnum 8.5 Ti). Wrong goggle lenses too! ogsmile

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Okay, I will play.
This the first time I have seen myself ski in over 40 years! 2nd day of clinics at 49° North in early December. The instructions were, 'make slow round turns'.
Yes there is a lot to work on here, and I have been.
https://studio.youtube.com/video/BS22rkStGe4/edit

And no, I don't know what I am doing on YouTube.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I ski much better in my head than on video.

So true! Same for me, each time I see a segment of me skiing. The rare cases someone video tapes me (usually a coach/instructor, never a "friend"...see next quote)
Yep, a major impediment.

Everyone wants vid taken of themselves, not so keen to spend time video-ing others. And then they do it portrait or don't zoom in or can't find you on the pitch (even though you are the only one there) or (in the case of my wife) make this tiny gesture with their little finger indicating they are ready and then get all huffy when you don't immediately ski down even though you can barely see the whole person from that distance - what is wrong with a big wave of the whole arm - or the pitch that was empty a second ago is now filled with a crowd of stop/starters and you want to do a speed run. And there's never anyone videoing when you nail the whole run - the run you do that gets filmed is a disaster from start to finish which you know without even looking at it.:doh:

And when, by some miracle of planetary alignment, a half-way decent run actually gets filmed and makes its way into your possession, compared to Reilly or Paul or @razie it's as boring as watching grass grow and not even an AC/DC sound track is going to save it.... Everything moves so little! What feels like a giant, well timed absorption is a tiny little up/down. What feels like "oh, this is laid over!" is barely off the vertical. You can barely watch it through slotted fingers... :eek:

But sometimes you are secretly pleased. This bit of vid is not nearly as bad as you'd feared. There may be plenty of things to improve but at least there's a couple of points that are working if you squint a bit. And you didn't fall over... It's not like those youtube stars but then again they are 3 or 4 decades younger, they've ski 250+ days per year for the last 10 years, they have plenty of film to pick from and only post the best, they are doing it for a living, etc, etc. And now, seeing what I see now in own skiing, the next run will be so much better. :thumb:

Yep, just like the next game of golf is going to be so much better....:rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm almost always the camera guy, equipped with a gopro or whatever.
I followed once a friend down a slope, my intentions were to make a video from behind of him for didactical purpouses (for him to check his technique). He decided instead, after we started skiing, he wanted to play a "catch me if you can" game...

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier

Some pow from yesterday
That is a very cool video, but you need to find some harder (louder) snow. Ack!

:)

Really jealous of the conditions. We have not had a good refill in two weeks, and -20C almost every day.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is a very cool video, but you need to find some harder (louder) snow. Ack!

:)

Really jealous of the conditions. We have not had a good refill in two weeks, and -20C almost every day.
Haha! I genuinely do miss carving on hard snow sometimes, but after a full winter on manmade snow the last time I was in Chile, I feel your pain. Fingers crossed you get some snow asap!

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Here ya go ...

Just a note - new skis and new boots - little out of sorts yesterday.

Nice skiing. I find when I change skis that things change. You may find a 25m radius ski even more fun on that snow making similar turns. The radius and length will build a steering effect into the turns you are already making.

Sponsor

Staff online