• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This is looking south off of my deck. I heard the wind come up quite suddenly and looked outside - the pine trees were leaning one way and the palm trees were leaning another. The house started creaking, the cats ran under the bed and my pantry door popped open by itself. I looked out over the bayou when all the action was much closer, at first I thought it was a fish feeding frenzy but then I realized it was the wind. By the time I grabbed my phone it had moved away a little.

Wow. It started over your house, on land, then went to the water?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm not sure where it actually started but it did get very close to the house. At my location we often get a wind switch when the daily sea breeze front moves east. Two opposing air masses can get some rotation even in clear weather. In the northern hemisphere low pressure has an anti clockwise spin but this one is spinning clockwise.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Paul / @P-Ute off Empire Lift at Deer Valley, UT, 9 Apr 2021:
paul with pop dv.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son skied his first double black diamond run on Friday, the last day of a fun spring break. This is The Taco on Tucker Mountain at Copper. A north-facing steep chute at 12,300 feet with the wind howling. He did great hop turns and wanted to go back again but the lift was closed.

PXL_20210409_204023194 (1).jpg

PXL_20210409_204034444.jpg

VIRB0012 (3).JPG

PXL_20210409_204500891.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That looks like pretty challenging conditions for first double black! Won't be long now, he'll be waiting for you at the bottom:thumb:
No need to call social services! :ogbiggrin:

We tried an easier double black first, The Nacho, but that didn't count in his mind because it was too easy as it had been groomed recently. I wouldn't have taken him down there except we saw a similar age and ability kid do it first, giving me confidence the snow conditions were not slide for life. That's got to be some of the last winter-like snow conditions in the lower 48. Elevation, aspect, and wind have kept Tucker Mtn remarkably nice in spite of super warm temps.

Edit: if you look at the map, they changed the names when they put the lift on Tucker. Nacho became Summit Stash and Taco became Curecanti. I'm having a hard time adjusting.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not sure where it actually started but it did get very close to the house. At my location we often get a wind switch when the daily sea breeze front moves east. Two opposing air masses can get some rotation even in clear weather. In the northern hemisphere low pressure has an anti clockwise spin but this one is spinning clockwise.

? seems like the start/makings of a water spout if it had more wind- very cool that you got to see and film it, glad all was OK

Sponsor

Staff online