• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This was taken by my niece on Star island off the coast of Maine- the aftermath of a Henri.... Her first day at UNH was Friday
E9BA0E82-D7D4-44A9-B000-AC4E0665ED79.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I took this back in 2016 but the photo above reminded me of this one. I may have even posted this before, it is "Sunset on the Manasquan River".

1630358647311.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw this on a fine mtb ride today. A whopper!

Anybody know what it is?!

IMG_0224.JPG

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saw this on a fine mtb ride today. A whopper!

Anybody know what it is?!

View attachment 141139
Tree funguses- related to mushrooms and similar in their cellular structure . Needless to say, like all wild fungi, don’t eat them! :) (unless you absolutely know what you are doing.) This is a pretty typical color for these -reds and browns. The tannins in the the tree and adjacent soil dictate the color - I’m guessing a Quercis Alba / white oak or another a tree with a strong tannic component such as redwoods .

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hope you are safe and didn't get any flooding. I am about 10 miles east of Trenton, NJ and we get the news out of Philly so I am aware of the location in the video.
Yes, I'm good thank you.
A little bit of water in the two corners of the basement facing the uphill side of the house, nothing measurable. Outside I only found one ~ 6' branch down from the redwood tree. Fortunately no power outage either.
I was watching 6ABC Cicely Tyson AccuWeather radar debris signature of the EF2 twister that hit Upper Dublin TWP which isn't that far away, thankfully for me, it was tracking north and east of me.
Did get a little nervous when a tornado warning was issued for Chestnut Hill Philly, but relived seeing the AccuWeather map showing it to be the outer part of the secondary (wide) zone of it's track - was the one that stayed just on your side of the Delaware and ended up an EF3 in Mullica Hill NJ!
I meet up with the trail running group in the Wissahickon tonight. Forbidden drive wasn't too bad, the city had heavy machinery to fill in the erosion, they were gone when I showed up. Nothing like the erosion wash out back when hurricane Sandy passed thru. Trails in the woods were fine, just the usual few down tree debris obstacles which climbing thru gave me a break from the pace of the run.
My outer part of the city got off easy this time around. Sorry I can't say the same of Upper Dublin Township, four storm related deaths, sad.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, I'm good thank you.
A little bit of water in the two corners of the basement facing the uphill side of the house, nothing measurable. Outside I only found one ~ 6' branch down from the redwood tree. Fortunately no power outage either.
I was watching 6ABC Cicely Tyson AccuWeather radar debris signature of the EF2 twister that hit Upper Dublin TWP which isn't that far away, thankfully for me, it was tracking north and east of me.
Did get a little nervous when a tornado warning was issued for Chestnut Hill Philly, but relived seeing the AccuWeather map showing it to be the outer part of the secondary (wide) zone of it's track - was the one that stayed just on your side of the Delaware and ended up an EF3 in Mullica Hill NJ!
I meet up with the trail running group in the Wissahickon tonight. Forbidden drive wasn't too bad, the city had heavy machinery to fill in the erosion, they were gone when I showed up. Nothing like the erosion wash out back when hurricane Sandy passed thru. Trails in the woods were fine, just the usual few down tree debris obstacles which climbing thru gave me a break from the pace of the run.
My outer part of the city got off easy this time around. Sorry I can't say the same of Upper Dublin Township, four storm related deaths, sad.
Glad you are doing well, I saw the sad news about Upper Dublin. You mentioned Super Storm Sandy, that was the one that put a foot of water in every room of my shore house, so I know what some people are going through now.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Emerald Isle sunset pano .jpg

A panoramic view tonight 9/3/21 from my brother's beach house at Emerald Isle, NC (click to expand). Fortunately, this part of NC was too far east to get any impact from Hurricane Ida this week. Unfortunately, after 29 years of ownership by my brother and 29 years of guest-mooching by me, he sold the house recently and I am the last family member to use it before it is turned over to the new owners :(

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A rainbow , the tail end of Ida as she moves off the coast and back out to sea. I looked for a pot of gold but I think someone beat me to it. View attachment 141318
Given the circumstances, I feel I should amend my comment on this earlier post of mine... I’m on a news moratorium up here and have since become aware of the destruction and loss of life wrought by Ida. This makes my earlier post appear glib which was not my intention. Had I known, I might have titled it “good riddance” as this is literally the tail end of this on the continental U.S. Best wishes to all affected by Ida.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January