• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20210902_170146.jpg

Backyard visitor. The song birds planted the sunflower for me.
20210904_074351.jpg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This was taken on Mt. Greylock in western Massachusetts. Connecticut, Vermont and New York are all visible at the peak on a clear day. Herman Melville looked upon it as he was writing Moby Dick and I could see it from behind my house about 7 miles away as a kid.
Thanks to@Tricia for helping me with this.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
CD055A63-290E-4816-94CD-D3B2C26C29E6.jpeg

Yesterday, North Tower footprint pool west side looking southeast. The memorial is well worth a visit, it’s open and free. It is powerful. If not for the dogged determination of some who lost family, those spaces would’ve been built over..
For some it’s still too much. I know people who worked for months on the recovery and still won’t set foot again on the site.

5EEBA1E9-C189-4D58-AB1A-3EF41BC51FBA.jpeg
Lori Grinker / Contact Press Images
Twenty years ago. Maybe a fragment of the South Tower, not sure. It’s important to note that for every firefighter killed there were some 8 others killed.
www.smithsonianmag.com/history/raising-flag-ground-zero-second-look-180978592/

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is a 9/11 memorial sculpture in Saratoga Springs NY. It’s called “ Tempered by memory “ and created by my friend Noah Savett and John Van Alstine.
It is made out actual pieces of the North and South towers- I’ve seen and held actual leftover pieces of this in my hand and that is a strange and profoundly moving experience.The bends and twists in the steel beams are a direct result of the destruction only. The Iron workers Union brought these up from NYC. as they wanted to participate and treat them with the reverence they deserve.
D33C4DEC-1262-4225-BF95-A3D470352932.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
View attachment 142181
Yesterday, North Tower footprint pool west side looking southeast. The memorial is well worth a visit, it’s open and free. It is powerful. If not for the dogged determination of some who lost family, those spaces would’ve been built over..
For some it’s still too much. I know people who worked for months on the recovery and still won’t set foot again on the site.

View attachment 142182 Lori Grinker / Contact Press Images
Twenty years ago. Maybe a fragment of the South Tower, not sure. It’s important to note that for every firefighter killed there were some 8 others killed.
www.smithsonianmag.com/history/raising-flag-ground-zero-second-look-180978592/
A friend and coworker at one of the ski shops I worked, later took a job in the WTC lost his life that day. I was talking and having a beer with him only days earlier so sad, left a wife and children behind. One of the guys I ski with lost his brother a police officer that day also, he also left a wife and children behind, so it is very sad for me.