• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
His [VERY] large body definitely proves he's a determined bear!
This is a captivating photo. And you captured many images just as fascinating. Great photography.

But, are you sure this was a male bear? Was it the size that gave this away? Do female bears not get that big?

I just wanted to check. So many people assume all every animal they see is male so they always use "he." So I've made a commitment to ask about how they know when this happens.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From Alaska Division of Fish and Game:
The only sure way to determine if the bear is male or female is to either see the penis sheath or wait long enough to observe urination.

I doubt anyone hung around to take a closer look!:geek::roflmao:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
By mistake I once got very close to a bear digging in a trash container that was hung up in the air, but not as it turned out too high for a bear get into it, headfirst. When I glanced up and saw the bear butt the large balls I could see made me pretty sure it was a boar and not a sow. I disagree with the AK Div. of Fish and Game as to the two ways to determine the sex of a bear.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a captivating photo. And you captured many images just as fascinating. Great photography.

But, are you sure this was a male bear? Was it the size that gave this away? Do female bears not get that big?

I just wanted to check. So many people assume all every animal they see is male so they always use "he." So I've made a commitment to ask about how they know when this happens.
The bears in Katmai are studied year after year, and thus given numbers. They have bear cameras that can be followed online (explore.org). There’s a good size online community that regularly watches the cameras and knows a ton about each bear. Some of the rangers chime in on the conversation, and they can pretty much ID any bear there. I had read a decent amount and followed a couple Facebook groups before going…from those groups I can point out the biggest fan favorites (though rarely 100% sure). But I am sure that this one is 747 (aptly numbered after the jet liner, due his massive size). Thus I am sure that this one is male.

Females don’t tend to get quite as large, but there definitely are a few big ladies out on the river. Other than an occasional glimpse of its under bits, it’s tough to really tell just from looking at them. There’s a lot of overlap between the average male and larger females.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Lauren, thank you for posting this info. It's interesting that the bears are all identified and recognizable.

I hope others have looked at your link so they can see all your other bear photos. Are those salmon that they are catching in the water?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope others have looked at your link so they can see all your other bear photos. Are those salmon that they are catching in the water?
I'll be posting a bunch of photos with a trip report soon...working on it :)

Yes...mostly sockeye salmon, but I heard there's also arctic char and trout in the river. I think all of my photos I captured are salmon.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From Alaska Division of Fish and Game:
The only sure way to determine if the bear is male or female is to either see the penis sheath or wait long enough to observe urination.
So…male or female? :roflmao:

2C7292BB-525E-4DF3-AD57-B21AA7347E8A.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's just water dripping off. Maybe. Does a female bear squat? Does a boar lift his leg? I've never been privy to the bathroom habits of bears!
Definitely not water dripping off haha. I remember taking this photo and thinking "wait...that bear's peeing...let's give him some privacy..."

What did people do with these questions before Google...? "Male bears will urinate straight down between their hind legs. Females will urinate backward between their hind legs." (Source: nps.gov). So, I would conclude, this one is male.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bears in Katmai are studied year after year, and thus given numbers. They have bear cameras that can be followed online (explore.org).
That is a lot of fun. Thanks! But I must say a few of those bears look awfully skinny for this time of year. Makes me wonder if they'll survive the winter.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That is a lot of fun. Thanks! But I must say a few of those bears look awfully skinny for this time of year. Makes me wonder if they'll survive the winter.
I read today that the bear cameras have been down. They might still be playing highlights from old footage.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Photo taken during today's hike from Black Bess Peak, located along Solitude Mountain Resort's Fantasy Ridge / Honeycomb Cliffs. The body of water is Twin Lakes and just over the top of the dam much of Brighton Ski Resort's base facilities can be seen. To the left of the lake is Evergreen Peak and, like Fantasy Ridge, is hike to/climb to terrain at Solitude. The center of the photo features the upper lift station of the Summit Express chairlift and the Summit patrol shack.

9D78AF85-6CE4-4EE9-91B1-E1F87D30814C.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online