• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The city of AC demo's a building.
images-1.jpg
images-3.jpg
ap_21048535426936-125338c2e2bc397a851234752a4e33dbdfc910bc-s1200.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Family of air spindrift swirling around molded, smoothly round, wind shaped forms of tree wells during a quiet mid day woods visit. Red firs.

TreeWell-city.jpg

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Pictures from the trails I've been on these last three days. Snowshoes, not skis or wheels.

This untracked trail heads beneath overhanging branches. Enchanted forest.
A30A0B44-4C9C-4921-867E-12B50ECDE97D_1_201_a.jpeg

Breaking trail heading down to the ponds.
5402A03C-5F4A-4378-A76A-10FBF67E2142_1_201_a.jpeg

Looking back up to see my tracks. Slow travel through winter wonderland.
6D3EB13A-B881-4374-A5EA-2B9253E53F9B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My wife and I got lucky on Monday 2/22, on our first try to see Fire Fall, which can happen in 2nd half of February on Horsetail Fall in Yosemite. This is not the same as the environmentally questionable practice that ended in 1968, after nearly 100 years of dumping burning embers off Glacier Point, that I saw once from Yosemite Valley in the 1960s. This natural Fire Fall was first photographed by Galen Rowell in 1973.

Besides getting a reservation to enter the Park, it takes a sunset without clouds, enough water for falls to be flowing and enough warmth so it's not frozen. We barely had enough water, but sunset also lit up some of the mist the wind was moving around. That is El Capitan to the left of Horsetail Fall. We had to walk about 2 miles each way from where we parked to our viewing point. There was some snow in the shade on some of paths in the 4,000' elevation valley. The first photo is from an iPhone as my camera, which took the second one, was having trouble with the light and I have not had to use it much in manual mode. Pictures where taken about a minute apart.
IMG_1285.JPG

2451FirefallCameraACR.JPG

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I recently moved to a new place in Massachusetts; I have a couple hiking trails that start literally steps from my front door.

Clamshell pond and my snowshoe-clad feet:
001.JPG

Some long-abandoned railroad tunnel:
002.JPG

I presume an abandoned bird's nest:
005.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@KevinF, what snowshoes have you got? Do you like them?

I got the MSR Revo Ascent snowshoe over the summer; I had been hoping to head up to NH to do some winter hiking, but that didn't wind up occurring due to various travel restrictions, etc. (And that I moved...).

They seem to work really well though; the floor of the tunnel was basically a hockey rink and the snowshoe crampons provided enough grip on that that I felt secure. They're fun! I like them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I got the MSR Revo Ascent snowshoe over the summer; I had been hoping to head up to NH to do some winter hiking, but that didn't wind up occurring due to various travel restrictions, etc. (And that I moved...).

They seem to work really well though; the floor of the tunnel was basically a hockey rink and the snowshoe crampons provided enough grip on that that I felt secure. They're fun! I like them.
I've got Tubbs flex RDGs. They have similar crampons on the underside. I've found them just fine on glare ice. I do steepish hills, where they also shine both up and down. The bindings are awesome, with a boa that is so easy to tighten and release. I don't know how long they will last given the use those crampons are getting. I'm on granite as well as snow and ice, although I try to limit the dings.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January