• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some pictures on a bluebird day of the new trails cut into Hellroaring Basin at Whitefish.
View attachment 125617 View attachment 125618
The one time I was there I didn't get to ski Hellroaring basin, unfortunately. We arrived late on a warm day with spring conditions and had a blast skiing spring slush. My brother went over there and reported it was melting so fast there were wet slides. That night the temperature dropped and the clouds rolled in freezing everything rock solid for the next couple of days that we were there. Hell roaring was closed along with most of the frontside of the mountain. I would love to get back there some day.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
2020 02 17 Passo Tonale (Bleis) H.jpg

Coming in very late to this. The above picture was taken nearly one year ago, on Feb 17th before all the covid-19 mess hit full force.
As it is, we were up on the mountain vacationing for one week , coming donw exactly as the mess hit, on Feb 23rd...

Nobody

Skier
I recently moved to a new place in Massachusetts; I have a couple hiking trails that start literally steps from my front door.

Some long-abandoned railroad tunnel:
View attachment 125606
This looks almost exactly like a gallery at my home mountain (Passo del Tonale), except it wasn't for trains, it was dug by the Austrian Army to reach the Presena Glacier during (but obviously dug before, in anticipation and preparation) WWI from behind, repaired from the Italian artillery shelling... Today is 2/3 down one of the freeride runs. Both ends are prone to be avalanche closed, so one, when skiing down there, must A)know very well where the gallery entrnace might be b)be ready to probe for it c)be ready to a lot of shovelling, in and out (if the Army patrollers haven't passed and done it themselves, out of kindness, to save themselves to have to come to the rescue of some inexperienced wanna be freerider - often un-equipped and not ready nor able to climb back up for kms...)
I'l look if I have any pic of that.

Last edited:

Nobody

Skier
Here we are, I do apologise for the pics bad quality , those have been extracted from a clip. It's me in 2014, entering the gallery at one end (EpicSki sticker on my old -non "floater" equipped - backpack... :-D)
Cantiere Gallery Entrance - Me - 2014 03.JPG

and exiting at the other...
Cantiere Gallery Exit - Me - 2014 03.JPG

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
From Heavenly 2/24/2021 Little Dipper at 9200 feet with clouds to match the beautiful lovely sensual smooth curving softness of humpy bumpiness. Skied LD 9 straight times Wednesday and 11 Thursday. Too much excitement for an old guy.

Tower11-upl-2-25-21.jpg

SSSdave

Skier
My wife and I got lucky on Monday 2/22, on our first try to see Fire Fall, ...

Happy for you two! Must have been crazy for any at the park then, set up, waiting, knowing the mediocre odds of seeing anything, and then starting to see a bit of warm light, then a little more, wow it's going to happen...and amazing one is watching and absorbing the experience like one did with the eclipse.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
This line at Whitewater is tracked...by an animal. No ski tracks, and it's about 11am Friday (Feb 26). It's a little OOB, but a ski patroller followed me as I ducked the boundary rope. No problem. It's Whitewater. Fortunately, he chose a different line. Two face shots before reaching the bottom of the short line.

P1110534 e-1.jpg

This is looking up the hill.

P1110537 e-1.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A few random photos from this season.
20210223_142327.jpg

Squaw Meadows from Far East chair, Squaw Valley

20210206_094655.jpg

Aspens at Steamboat. I did change this to B&W but it looked almost exactly the same in color!

20210225_111258.jpg

Lake Tahoe on the traverse to Upper Ramseys at Mt. Rose.

20210223_094351.jpg

Tahoe from the top of Red Dog chair, Squaw Valley.

20210206_145824_026_saved.jpg

World Pro Ski Tour at Howelsen Hill, Steamboat, CO. This is actually a photo, not a capture from video. Not bad for a telephone!

SSSdave

Skier
Andy congrats, superb white room, cloud atmospheric image captured, aspen at Steamboat!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy congrats, superb white room, cloud atmospheric image captured, aspen at Steamboat!
Thanks! It's one of those that turns out better than you think it will.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife and I got lucky on Monday 2/22, on our first try to see Fire Fall, which can happen in 2nd half of February on Horsetail Fall in Yosemite. This is not the same as the environmentally questionable practice that ended in 1968, after nearly 100 years of dumping burning embers off Glacier Point, that I saw once from Yosemite Valley in the 1960s. This natural Fire Fall was first photographed by Galen Rowell in 1973.

Besides getting a reservation to enter the Park, it takes a sunset without clouds, enough water for falls to be flowing and enough warmth so it's not frozen. We barely had enough water, but sunset also lit up some of the mist the wind was moving around. That is El Capitan to the left of Horsetail Fall. We had to walk about 2 miles each way from where we parked to our viewing point. There was some snow in the shade on some of paths in the 4,000' elevation valley. The first photo is from an iPhone as my camera, which took the second one, was having trouble with the light and I have not had to use it much in manual mode. Pictures where taken about a minute apart. View attachment 125602
View attachment 125603
I was there in 1962. I still have the picture of the Fire Fall in my mind. We drove across the country hitting all of the National Parks we could, my mom and us kids - 4. My dad had passed away in October of '61 so my mom felt like a road trip was in order. 5, 8, 12 and 16. The oldest was the relief driver - top down most of the way. It was amazing - what was she thinking!

Last edited: