• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How did you like that Sideral ski? Did you ever ski the original?
I never did. I vaguely remember it. I hadn't skied the White Out either but got this on faith. I liked the other Blossoms that I've been on. The White Out was money at Squaw in spring conditions yesterday. Very glad I took the chance on this one!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thursday was my last day of the resort season, almost all on groomers. Uploaded a long 6:46 minute video of a continuous POV GoPro WA 60fps 1080p helmet mounted video of my run down from the Sky Express quad chair starting along the Ridge Run road at 9750 feet down 1120 feet to elevation 8630 feet. During the run are 8 text entries displayed indicating the elevation. The low gradient Ridge Run road traverses west from the 9970 chair exit that is trimmed off as uninteresting. Where I start the video is at the entrance to Ellie's Swing at 9750 feet along the extreme right road edge where I make 76 tiny turns until the beginning of the Canyonlands trail at 9640 feet. Below that are another 268 turns for a total of 320 during the video. A map of the route displays briefly after the video title page. Orange dots show where text entries display elevations.

After skiing Heavenly for my last resort day of this season, 26 days, (see video 1120 foot vertical groomed run 320 turns:

On groomed runs as I do below on parts of the run, sometimes will play on extreme edges of groomed trails making lazy, slow speed direct fall line turns. Such uneven right/left turns slide an edge towards a trail edge then with more force turn away from an edge.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TE03672-94y-2400.jpg

drove west down to highway SR49 then south through the Mother Load and dispersed camped inside my Subaru on a familiar dirt road spur within a BLM zone south of Coulterville. Peak of spring is above 3.5k now and I was late season down at 2.5k. Yet to process a fine 4 flower bitterroot close-up.

In the calm shadowed morning sky worked via diffuse light blue sky illumination the below single A6000 60mm 6k/4k frame focus stack blended from 22 variable aperture selected shots. That is how I was able to achieve such an enormous depth of field showing fine detail that on an UHD 4k 24 inch display is immersive. First image is 40% of full size 2.4k by 1.6k. Second image is a 100% pixels crop showing the fine detail of this hairy lupine species that adds much value if air is dead still.

shaghair lupine, lupinus spectablis

big headed yellow chaenactis, chaenactis glabriuscula var. megacephala
pink spineflower, chorizanthe membranacea
Dark cyan rock beyond last years dried herb skeletons in background is serpentine geology.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TE03672-94-cr1.jpg

Last edited:

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
I had some 207cm Spalding Siderals in 1972. Like the Stratos and Dynastars, they were stiff. So we loved them on hard snow and struggled in Cascade Concrete.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Magic Mile lift at Timberline Lodge delivered run after run of nice soft corn snow. Initially a few runs were "firm" and then it slushed out about 1:45 or so. That upper lift is the Palmer, used for summer skiing. It is rumored to be opening April 29th. (Had to dig it out, do repairs, and some grooming is needed. This is normal after every winter storm season).

0419210918b.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
EE39D571-6315-46BD-8F17-47136A4DCC38.jpeg

Suicide Six, VT
It’s very near the first lift in the US down the road. A rope tow run from a Model T truck in 1934.
I think this contraption was built for the 50th Anniversary, but don’t know. It certainly wasn’t there in the mid to late 70’s. The description of the original doesn’t sound like this, plus I think this is a Model A which is what was used in the 1984 version.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Tree. It’s weird there were no living large trees but quite a few dead ones. The lava is like 7000 years old though.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
May Day at Snowbird, got to ski with two of my kids. Hadn't seen this particular daughter since March 2020. Also, I got to wear shorts while skiing. Not sure if I've ever done that before. Temps on the mtn were between 55 and 60 degs.

may 1 with jim suzy and vince .jpg

I got a little sunburn on my kneecapsogsmile

PS: proud pop of this daughter-lawyer. here's her profile photo from her law firm:
Kenney_Suzanne.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online