• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Icicles at Lake Almanor, CA

20211231_115049.jpg
20211231_093338.jpg
20211231_075015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, these were some big 'uns. They would have hurt or worse.
A relative of my DH's was killed by a falling icicle. Watch out! :geek:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seeing the Northern Lights is on my lifetime bucket list that will probably never get checked off. Stupid Covid..:nono:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seeing the Northern Lights is on my lifetime bucket list that will probably never get checked off. Stupid Covid..:nono:
How far north would you have to go to se Northern Lights on the American continent? Only Canada and Alaska or can you see them in any of the other states too?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How far north would you have to go to se Northern Lights on the American continent? Only Canada and Alaska or can you see them in any of the other states too?
They can be seen across a lot of the northern mid-west... Minnesota, upper Michigan, North Dakota... but it's not super common or as impressive from my understanding.

Occasionally they can be seen faintly in very dark areas even further south if the weather is right. I look at Space Weather projections for them sometimes, if hear they're moving south.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think probably Canada or Alaska but not sure.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I worked in Ely, MN (near Canadian border) for a couple of years. Very dark skies. Saw Northern Lights several times -- once one the best shows I've ever seen: like standing under the bell of an immense trumpet. Not common, but they happen.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt Hood Meadows yesterday. The day started out at 31 degrees F when we got there in the morning. 36F when we left at 1:30.
Nice!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

I saw them in Vermont many years ago, but there was scarcely any color. It looked a bit like strings of cloud. Still, a great memory. I can't recall any from my recent years in Vermont. Probably spending more time outside at night, walking a distance, as a college student.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid