• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
So I already recently posted fresh powder videos so will go another direction that is happening now.

This below be good stuff for Earth monkeys and rabbits. All the rain the last 3 months here in Northern California has by now with April near, made many sunny mid day California low elevation landscapes glow wonderful greens. Better if one knows, there are places with impressive wildflowers too. As a long time landscape photographer of wildflowers that has been at it for decades, the best wildflowers today Friday 3/27/2023 in the north state is just 60 miles south of where I live along SR152. Historically the zone at the ridge of Pacheco Pass that also has wind farms, has in recent past decades had the most dense seedbeds of a diverse mix of regional wildflowers blue oak savanna grassland landscapes. Lots of public lands, 12 square miles right at ironically little visited Pacheco Pass) free to walk around odd trails just like deer and elk do there.

Know folks will want to see the downsized for web whole image. The mystery areas are also impressive. Will be going back when breezes are low again that is next Friday 3/31. Else even with focus stack blending, I can't blend sharp composites like this frame edge to frame edge top to bottom, unless elements are reasonably still allowing alignments. Immersive on 8k it will be. There are 9 species, California poppy, California violet, goldfields, filaree, blue dicks, Padres shooting stars, tomcat clover, miner's lettuce. The two small trees in the third crop are blue oak of which the pass has many spectacular larger wind shaped blue oaks. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=87769&inline

Captured today Friday March 27, 2023
Location Pacheco Pass slopes
full image 5900x3800 pixels
from 35 focus stack blended images.

1920x1080 pixel crop from frame exact lower left corner

TW01819-44-cr3.jpg

1920x1080 pixel crop from frame mid right below center horizontal line
TW01819-44-cr1.jpg

1920x1080 pixel crop from frame mid left above horizontal center line

TW01819-44-cr2.jpg

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
Ok, below is the full frame downsized for web image from above posted 1080p crops.

Notice how less interesting areas of the small above downsized image look when lacking all the sharp detail of my 100% pixels crops. This along with a lack of large 8k pc monitors, also demonstrates why most photographers have not yet come to understand the potential value of viewing high detail immersive level imagery meant to be viewed from close range.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Ok, below is the full frame downsized for web image from above posted 1080p crops.

Notice how less interesting areas of the small above downsized image look when lacking all the sharp detail of my 100% pixels crops. This along with a lack of large 8k pc monitors, also demonstrates why most photographers have not yet come to understand the potential value of viewing high detail immersive level imagery meant to be viewed from close range.
Photo didn't upload? At least, I'm not able to see it.

SSSdave

Skier
Photo didn't upload? At least, I'm not able to see it.
Yeah image went away. So here it is again downsized for web.

TW01819-44y.jpg

This is off highway SR152. Park at the free San Luis Reservoir Wildlife Area parking lot that is just opposite the entrance road to the state park. Hike the loop dirt road CCW that circles the hill immediate north, less than 2 miles. Best between 10am and 2pm PDT when poppies have opened. Arguably the best wildflowers currently in the north state though spotty. This downsized for web, 9400x6000 pixel image I captured Saturday 4/1/23, is off to the right near that trailhead.

TX02395-02456-3x1vy.jpg

This is a 100% pixels crop at bottom edge left of center showing how there are also many more small flowers than the downsized full image can display. Notice the little 5-petal pink filaree flowers?

TX02395-02456-3x1v-cr1.jpg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 200002
Last day skiing at Mt St Louis for the season. A beautiful day, snow was great. Note the crowds!! The chair to left is coming down starting on Tuesday, being replaced with a new 8 pack
What is on the run to the right of the lift... the big dark spot? Is that on the run? Or dirt on the lens or something?

Sponsor

Staff online