• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My son graduated from NYU on Tuesday/Wednesday. The Beacon and Yankee stadium for commencement. God bless the 4 /5 train. Lived there in the early 80’s and a lot of lifelong friends still live there including one generous enough to lend us their apartment. It is still an amazing place , and there is no place else like it - to this day I still run into people I know on the street. That never happens in L.A.
Congratulations to your son and your family it is a big accomplishment. My brother-in-law is a NYU alumni and it is a great school. I have to agree that there is no other place like NYC, not sure I could live there full time for very long but still an interesting place.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunset, 19 may 2023, in the span of one day the smoke from the Canadian forest fires descended like a shroud on the Salt Lake valley.

View attachment 203936
Sorry on behalf of my burning province - it’s really horrible to have such bad fires so early here. This was the view near my work on Tuesday morning - no filter or editing :(. Visibility in Calgary is less than 1km at times due to smoke
IMG_4398.jpeg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Congratulations to your son and your family it is a big accomplishment. My brother-in-law is a NYU alumni and it is a great school. I have to agree that there is no other place like NYC, not sure I could live there full time for very long but still an interesting place.
Thanks. Yeah, I don’t think I could live there full time anymore either- I’m too used to having my own outdoor space but when you’re young… well there’s nothing like that energy . I still walk twice as fast there as I do anywhere else. ( and 7 miles of walking Wednesday without a thought or an ounce of boredom)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Home for the weekend. Yep, a little moist but no one else is here yet. That's good.
20230524_135856.jpg
20230524_135927.jpg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry on behalf of my burning province - it’s really horrible to have such bad fires so early here. This was the view near my work on Tuesday morning - no filter or editing :(. Visibility in Calgary is less than 1km at times due to smoke
View attachment 203980
Mel, I know we are mostly over masks but if you are in that environment, a 3M mask - like you would use for sanding wood, is a good idea. Down in LA , we’ve been using them for the last decade or so outdoors during “ fire season “ as that ash is very fine and travels hundreds of miles . On a bad day, you felt like you chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mel, I know we are mostly over masks but if you are in that environment, a 3M mask - like you would use for sanding wood, is a good idea. Down in LA , we’ve been using them for the last decade or so outdoors during “ fire season “ as that ash is very fine and travels hundreds of miles . On a bad day, you felt like you chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes.
I work in health care so still very used to masks! I was definitely wearing an N95 outside when it was really bad, because (I imagine) 3 packs a day is exactly what it felt like. Thankfully it has all cleared out and our air quality is back to normal now.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Couple of pics today from Burrows Bay, Anacortes, WA, Fidalgo Island. First, to the West of where I'm standing, is a Tanker headed outbound full of petroleum products from refinery to I don't know. The low hills beyond the tanker are on Lopez island. Second pic, to the South, is of beach structure going up in a sunny spot on a sunny afternoon. The rocks in the tanker photo are at the entrance to the marina, West side of the entrance. The beach photo is next to the rocks at the East side of the marina entrance.

1685400102668.jpeg

1685400197097.jpeg

Sponsor