• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Photo TR: A first-time backpacker

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back in May we visited my wife's aunt and her family. Her youngest, Ben (25 years old), was in town and joined us for dinner. Ben was a high school football star, like his older brothers, but despite living in the Sierra foothills (Auburn, CA), has never really been outdoorsy. He's barely a snowboarder and has done some really moderate hikes with friends or dates.

We were talking about backpacking, backcountry skiing, and my father-in-law who, at 75, is still getting after 14'ers and continues to piece together sections of the Sierra High Route.

Ben said he would like to join me on a trip sometime. It felt conversational and usually I probably wouldn't act on it. When I mentioned it to my wife, she encouraged the idea. We both perceive Ben to be searching.

I didn't want to plan an overly simple trip. My goal was to find a route that challenged a strong athlete, had some adventure, wasn't too much to for him to handle, and was epic enough to cause him to go home and buy a backpack. Oh, and permits needed to be available.

I settled on a loop from Minaret Lake to Thousand Island Lake in Ansel Adams Wilderness near Mammoth. Ediza Lake to Thousand Island is popular with novice and experienced backpackers and adding the segment from Minaret Lake, past Cecile Lake, and descending down to Iceberg would add the challenge and adventure that would supercharge a first time out.

For my part, I've done the route a few times and carried my heavy D850 DSLR camera, multiple lenses, and tripod. This time, I went lightweight. All photos were shot on an Iphone. Some, with the standard camera app. Most were shot with the Lightroom photo app that allows me to shoot in RAW format on my smartphone.

Mostly in order, but not totally, here's Ben's first hiking trip...

Thanks for clicking...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful! I love that area. Do you think he’ll go back? I like that Inyo National Forest is holding 40% of the wilderness permits until two weeks before date. Makes it much easier to be more spontaneous with trip planning.

TS
splitter

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beautiful! I love that area. Do you think he’ll go back? I like that Inyo National Forest is holding 40% of the wilderness permits until two weeks before date. Makes it much easier to be more spontaneous with trip planning.

Yep. He wants to get his brothers out next time. Something a little more chill maybe in Desolation. But he also wants to hit the Lamarck -> Evolution-> Dusy Basin route next summer.

It was a great trip. We had great conditions, including beautiful skies, clear air, few mosquitoes, and even the most pleasant light rain hiking from Garnet to Thousand Island.

I think we planted a transcendental seed.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really nice trip and shots. Phone cameras have come a long way.

I was just talking about backpacking with a friend. As in when was the last time you did it. For me it was over 30 years ago and it was in the Sierras.

Sponsor

Staff online