• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pictures From the Skintrack

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
We were visiting Duluth. Yep, that was me taking the photo by the lake walk. Your sailing history isi super interesting. I’m interested in the maritime history of the Great Lakes.
You chose to visit Duluth during a cold time of year, given the greatly reduced daylight hours! For myself and my three brothers, sailing was a means to an end: the best way we knew of for members of the lowest economic class to finance university educations. It was a very rough life with plenty of danger and hardships but the money was right and ultimately served the desired purpose for each of us. Living, eating, and working with crew mates who were constantly feeding various addictions, running from the law or unsatisfied financial or marital obligations, or battling mental illnesses are experiences I was glad to put behind me once my sailing days were over. Two of the three years of the winter navigation program proved to be two of the harshest winters the Great Lakes region experienced during the 20th century, with temperatures regularly reaching levels that make any very cold day I've spent skiing, snowboarding, or mountaineering in Utah or Colorado seem temperate.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You chose to visit Duluth during a cold time of year, given the greatly reduced daylight hours! For myself and my three brothers, sailing was a means to an end: the best way we knew of for members of the lowest economic class to finance university educations. It was a very rough life with plenty of danger and hardships but the money was right and ultimately served the desired purpose for each of us. Living, eating, and working with crew mates who were constantly feeding various addictions, running from the law or unsatisfied financial or marital obligations, or battling mental illnesses are experiences I was glad to put behind me once my sailing days were over. Two of the three years of the winter navigation program proved to be two of the harshest winters the Great Lakes region experienced during the 20th century, with temperatures regularly reaching levels that make any very cold day I've spent skiing, snowboarding, or mountaineering in Utah or Colorado seem temperate.
To you: :hail:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that Ollie?

The black one, yes. ogwink And sadly probably his last ski tour ... he really struggled going down. His hips are just not able to push his hind legs out of the snow (or is it vice versa?) very easily anymore, but he doesn't want to go slow, either, of course. He wants to run. But hey, he is less than a month to 12 yr old! not bad

fatport

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just found this post. I love seeing all of the dog photos.
super dog.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sunday SkinDay…

Powder Mountain has a lot of unique options to make them able to claim 8000 skiable acres. One of those options is hike/skin terrain. This area is called ”Lefty’s”, you ski into the canyon & then skin out to the lift, ride the lift, skate out the ridge & back down to the canyon. I made 3 laps here before making my way over to Raintree
D59DCB3A-9535-4EA8-8D91-3AA2A7480048.jpeg

From the top of Raintree looking North into the Cache Valley
9FF9B1EB-AED8-4D4D-911C-C9E10213AC60.jpeg

& across to the West & James Peak with some interesting tracks in the foreground…
DDB10E4A-B6A5-44BD-B555-EC172D889C6B.jpeg

…where some turns were had yesterday
59FBCE18-B617-4849-B8E2-A53BFAA06DC1.jpeg

On skin up to Raintree saw this posted sign which was a little disconcerting…
471D231E-A21A-485D-8AC7-B5D5AA2ACF55.jpeg

…till I got home & had this cat food sitting by my back door
B0F6019D-9916-4484-8CA7-49F1850ABA11.jpeg

Attachments

• A807D4C5-07CF-4CE4-B54C-C4B180F8D7D1.jpeg
    A807D4C5-07CF-4CE4-B54C-C4B180F8D7D1.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 9F2DD440-0893-49DF-A4A4-A2CBBBBD357B.jpeg
    9F2DD440-0893-49DF-A4A4-A2CBBBBD357B.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Powder Mountain has a lot of unique options to make them able to claim 8000 skiable acres. One of those options is hike/skin terrain. This area is called ”Lefty’s”, you ski into the canyon & then skin out to the lift, ride the lift, skate out the ridge & back down to the canyon. I made 3 laps here before making my way over to Raintree
Do they patrol or avi control that whole 8000 acres??

4ster

Instructor
Do they patrol or avi control that whole 8000 acres??
Most of that 8000 acres isn’t steep enough ( ogwink) to require avalanche mitigation work although areas like James, Y-Chute, Baldy, Hook Chute & a few others I am sure require hand charges. In fact the whole James Peak ridge line (photo 3 above) is usually closed for a few days after heavy snowfall. I have never noticed any tram lines or avalaunchers.
Many of the outbound areas close early but I’ve always thought that afternoon patrol sweep must be a difficult proposition & they couldn’t possibly investigate every nook & cranny.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Pictures of the skins.

Ironing skins.jpg

My skins had developed the 'skin saver blues'. They had raised spots matching the holes in the skin saver (sorry, didn't take a before photo). I hooked the tip over a ski with the skin on upside down, exposing the glue. I clamped the tail to the ski as the hook doesn't work upside down. I covered the glue with parchment paper (NOT waxed paper). Then I turned the iron up to 140℃ I slowly (30 seconds per pass) and with moderate pressure, heated up the glue through the paper. I let them cool overnight and then heated them again. Tomorrow I'll pull the paper off as many sites recommended letting them sit 24 hours before removing the paper.

A quick peek shows the glue is mostly flat. Being warm, it is still a touch gloppy, but I'm anticipating that when they are outdoors cool, that will go away.

More photos to come tomorrow.

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Pictures of the skins.

My skins had developed the 'skin saver blues'. They had raised spots matching the holes in the skin saver (sorry, didn't take a before photo). I hooked the tip over a ski with the skin on upside down, exposing the glue. I clamped the tail to the ski as the hook doesn't work upside down. I covered the glue with parchment paper (NOT waxed paper). Then I turned the iron up to 140℃ I slowly (30 seconds per pass) and with moderate pressure, heated up the glue through the paper. I let them cool overnight and then heated them again. Tomorrow I'll pull the paper off as many sites recommended letting them sit 24 hours before removing the paper.

A quick peek shows the glue is mostly flat. Being warm, it is still a touch gloppy, but I'm anticipating that when they are outdoors cool, that will go away.

More photos to come tomorrow.
Question, why do you leave your skin savers on your skins? If this have been a topic of discussion, let’s leave it be.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Question, why do you leave your skin savers on your skins? If this have been a topic of discussion, let’s leave it be.
All my BD skins are a bear to separate without the skin savers. This pair is the first to get the 'blues' and need any servicing of the glue. In the future, I'm going to store my skins in the freezer as I've read that helps preserve the glue. I might put them glue to glue without the skin saver for storage.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The rejuvenated skins.

IMG_20220127_225159732.jpg IMG_20220127_225028484.jpg
I'm happy with the smoothness of the skins. They aren't like new, but they are much flatter than before. Tomorrow will be the acid test. I've put the skis and skins in the garage so they'll be cold when they get put together. I'm optimistic that they'll work better than before. I also waxed the skis. They are scraped and brushed so no wax residue should be able to transfer to the skins.

4ster

Instructor
All my BD skins are a bear to separate without the skin savers. This pair is the first to get the 'blues' and need any servicing of the glue. In the future, I'm going to store my skins in the freezer as I've read that helps preserve the glue. I might put them glue to glue without the skin saver for storage.
When I was younger & stronger I always just put them glue to glue but as I’ve aged (or maybe glue has gotten stronger while I’ve become weaker) I use the skin saver as I’m worried I won’t be able to separate them. Lately in cold weather I’ve been fine skin to skin with multiple transitions during a tour.

A few years ago I tried cleaning & re-glueing my old skins, I wasn’t very successful but the skins were pretty old & I ended up getting new ones.
Your process looks more meticulous than mine ;).

Sponsor

Staff online