• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pictures From the Skintrack

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When I was younger & stronger I always just put them glue to glue but as I’ve aged (or maybe glue has gotten stronger while I’ve become weaker) I use the skin saver as I’m worried I won’t be able to separate them. Lately in cold weather I’ve been fine skin to skin with multiple transitions during a tour.

A few years ago I tried cleaning & re-glueing my old skins, I wasn’t very successful but the skins were pretty old & I ended up getting new ones.
Your process looks more meticulous than mine ;).
Perhaps, but it was also very easy. No more involved than waxing skis. ogsmile

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I was younger & stronger I always just put them glue to glue but as I’ve aged (or maybe glue has gotten stronger while I’ve become weaker) I use the skin saver as I’m worried I won’t be able to separate them. Lately in cold weather I’ve been fine skin to skin with multiple transitions during a tour.
Everyone on Pomoca say that you just put glue to glue. Personally, I (almost) never do this. Getting skins apart when I put them glue to glue is real pain in the ass, and I wouldn't say I'm weakest person on world, or maybe that shoulder injury from ski crash few years ago made me real pu**y :D I always use plastic sheet between as taking skins apart and using them again is so much easier for me. It takes slightly longer to transition with this, but I normally have time :)

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
All my BD skins are a bear to separate without the skin savers. This pair is the first to get the 'blues' and need any servicing of the glue. In the future, I'm going to store my skins in the freezer as I've read that helps preserve the glue. I might put them glue to glue without the skin saver for storage.
Got it, it’s the BD super stitch glue formula. How do the skins separate after skinning up. I commonly help my peeps rip their skins. After a few days, most will eventually switch to Pomoca skins.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Everyone on Pomoca say that you just put glue to glue. Personally, I (almost) never do this. Getting skins apart when I put them glue to glue is real pain in the ass, and I wouldn't say I'm weakest person on world, or maybe that shoulder injury from ski crash few years ago made me real pu**y :D I always use plastic sheet between as taking skins apart and using them again is so much easier for me. It takes slightly longer to transition with this, but I normally have time :)
I use Pomoca skins on a daily basis. I am not particularly strong and I have never had a problem ripping skins. During a moderate wind or snow day, fast transitions are super efficient. After my summer season (late July), I refresh the glue using an iron and parchment paper and stroke the skins glue to glue (similar to my daily skin storage). Similar to Pomoca guidelines.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@charlier ok I was exaggerating a bit. I can pull them apart, but it feels like I will tear something. With that plastic sheet in middle they go apart so much easier, so I normally use this. If it's super windy, and if it's snowing like crazy then yes, I don't bother and put them glue to glue, but in most cases I just use plastic sheet.. For me it's easier, even if everyone are telling me I should do it without.

TS
Mothertucker

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
View from the Butler Peak fire lookout in Southern California, March 24th 2021.
IMG_20210324_143612672.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The skins worked well today. They are super sticky glue-to-glue; the skin saver is necessary. The Atomic Multifit skin I just got was very nice. Mohair with a new type of glue. It is not overly sticky glue-to-glue and is pretty easy to remove from the bases. The tip and tail hardware is effective. Not having to use a skin saver with them is nice. They slid nicely, held fine in unchallenging pitches and generally performed well. The bag is well thought out. There is a base cleaning fabric, the bag holds the skins without having to figure out a puzzle (it is roomy), and it opens with two large 'handles' for easy cold weather use.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
@charlier ok I was exaggerating a bit. I can pull them apart, but it feels like I will tear something. With that plastic sheet in middle they go apart so much easier, so I normally use this. If it's super windy, and if it's snowing like crazy then yes, I don't bother and put them glue to glue, but in most cases I just use plastic sheet.. For me it's easier, even if everyone are telling me I should do it without.
Excellent explanation - if it works for you, I agree don’t listen to others. If you eventually purchase new skins, consider Pomoca. Every week, I quietly watch my group struggle with different brand skins on transition and/or the various brands of touring bindings.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@charlier I have seen and tried quite few skins by now, but I will for sure stay on Pomoca in future too. Personally I have always been on Pomoca, and until now, I never saw skins that would work better. Only thing I will say is, that their numbers for Climb Pro S-glide are wrong (for other skins I have or I had, it numbers quite matched real life performance). Based on their numbers this skins should be better then Climb 2.0 (glide better and have better grip), but based on my experience, they are worse. They glide worse and they have less grip, so when I get new ones, I will be back on Climb 2.0, unless I convince myself I go with Free Pro 2.0 :)

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use BD GlideLite Mohair mix skins and I must use the skin savers (cheat sheets) as my glue is more powerful than me if they stick together! I use BD because I get a very good pro deal discount.
image1.jpeg

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
@charlier I have seen and tried quite few skins by now, but I will for sure stay on Pomoca in future too. Personally I have always been on Pomoca, and until now, I never saw skins that would work better. Only thing I will say is, that their numbers for Climb Pro S-glide are wrong (for other skins I have or I had, it numbers quite matched real life performance). Based on their numbers this skins should be better then Climb 2.0 (glide better and have better grip), but based on my experience, they are worse. They glide worse and they have less grip, so when I get new ones, I will be back on Climb 2.0, unless I convince myself I go with Free Pro 2.0 :)
Skins are subject to much discussion and personal preference. Pomoca and to a less degree Contour make branded skins for many ski that offer pre-cut skins. My personal choice are Pomoca Free Pro 2.

July lunch break at Mt Rainier with my skins are drying out. EECCB1D3-E22D-459A-B8E5-896C98B8DF9F.jpeg

Last edited:

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
+1 on Pomoca
I am not a flexible person and I’m able to rip them with my skis on. Free pros are unbelievably light and pack down very small. They weren’t too terribly hard to trim despite the thinner backing

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_20220128_130324728_BURST001.jpg

@Snowfan has fallen for touring. Friday we went out for a bit of a walk in the woods.

IMG_20220128_132943307_BURST001.jpg

Welcome to earn your turns. ;-)

The next day I soloed. I took a lot of photos. I'll post some here.

IMG_20220129_100614723.jpg

Coming right on the tail of @SBrown's tracks. Really. Just coincidence. I had noticed the paw print before so was watching the track. You can see the imprint of a skin in the lower right corner.

IMG_20220129_100728577_HDR.jpg

Mmmm.

IMG_20220129_113428097.jpg

How Cable Line got its name.

IMG_20220130_102453759.jpg

I continued south toward a crowded area but descended before I got to it.

IMG_20220129_121245655.jpg

These tracks helped me in completing a loop so I could descend where I had ascended.

IMG_20220129_123813823.jpg

The beginning of the second run.

IMG_20220129_123820203.jpg

What lay ahead.

IMG_20220129_124908375_HDR.jpg

Near the end of the second and last run.

Today was another splendid sunny day and the snow in places had developed a thin crème brûlée coating of sun crust that sang as you skied through it. You had to be there.

IMG_20220130_104759132_CROP.jpg

Again.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s so cool @SBrown ! I have only seen snowshoe hares once , in spring outside our hotel room we got a good look at one. I see the tracks here sometimes too, but I am no tracker, so unless they are very fresh, I struggle to tell them apart from the Rabbit tracks.

@Doug Briggs , that looks like a great ski. I assume they are mountain lion tracks, or do you have bobcats there too?

Sponsor

Staff online