• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pictures From the Skintrack

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@SkiFiore that second (orange) photo.... did it really look like that? In real life I mean not on camera? I saw plenty of such photos last week, and we surely were only the on edge of this sahara dust cloud, but it was never anything even remotely similar here last week. There was some sort of haze in the air and even though weather was blue sky it felt like it would be cloudy and you couldn't really see sun properly, but it was never not even remotely like your photo is. Snow on the other hand looks similar to your next, third photo, now after this thing went by.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
@SkiFiore that second (orange) photo.... did it really look like that? In real life I mean not on camera? I saw plenty of such photos last week, and we surely were only the on edge of this sahara dust cloud, but it was never anything even remotely similar here last week. There was some sort of haze in the air and even though weather was blue sky it felt like it would be cloudy and you couldn't really see sun properly, but it was never not even remotely like your photo is. Snow on the other hand looks similar to your next, third photo, now after this thing went by.
That was not too far off. I had a rose low light goggle lens on and the snow and sky were appearing yellow. Very strange.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice photo.

What am I missing? I'm not getting the correlation. (Maybe I need more coffee...)

It means I cheated! No more skin track, just a whirlybird. But I will make up for it with a few others.

83336CD6-766E-4EC8-834C-D17D2A6CF9DF.jpeg

0A426864-DD3E-456B-BC9A-9C21F20D4E21.jpeg

78C2F8A9-2432-469D-9EC5-31B064D79BEA.jpeg

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I am staying in St Gervais and our sky was a lot like that one morning (no snow this low, so don’t know about that). The rest of the week was just the haze you talk about, and of course the snow (but the brown snow was at least soft! hahaha).

Argentiere from Grands Montets:

2C7A3B3A-0AC7-4B6A-99BC-96509A82D9B1.jpeg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@SBrown those photos looked cool, but it wasn't anything that intensive over here, that's why I was wondering if it's really like that or it's a bit of editing done :) But based on those satellite photos, we were just on edge of this cloud. Also snow over here looks a bit better then you have now :) But with this dust cover now, with not much snow anyway, and with warm temperatures and strong sun, this means it will melt even faster, so based on current weather forecast for next week or two, it looks like our winter is ending real fast. :(

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown those photos looked cool, but it wasn't anything that intensive over here, that's why I was wondering if it's really like that or it's a bit of editing done :) But based on those satellite photos, we were just on edge of this cloud. Also snow over here looks a bit better then you have now :) But with this dust cover now, with not much snow anyway, and with warm temperatures and strong sun, this means it will melt even faster, so based on current weather forecast for next week or two, it looks like our winter is ending real fast. :(

Yes, we will probably ski another day or two on slushy pistes, but now have pivoted to sightseeing. It’s been lovely, and it’s been snowing like mad at home, so it’s nice to know I have spring break vacation but snow to return to.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Primoz, @Sibhusky posted some photos elsewhere of Lech last week where the snow was tan-ish from the Sahara sands. :(
Yes, if you zoom in on the snow in this pano you can really see the dirty snow. Things were plenty soft before this happened, this pretty much destroyed my interest the rest of the week. This is up in Zurs and the first run was fine, the next was heavy clumps and it wasn't even 11. They were getting some colder weather right as we left of course.
photo_1648045381861.jpg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Sibhusky we have slightly better but this sahara dust still very visible on snow. Few years ago we have much worse then this, due same thing, dust and sand coming from Africa, and there was plenty of snow in mountains for another month (at least) of ski touring, but with even worse then your photo, I had absolutely no wish to go skiing into that, so I quit my ski season even if there was still plenty of snow left. This year it seems I'm finishing it due too little of snow and not so much due African sand on snow.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On top of a bootpack.
And the result.
It doesn't look that steep, but it was over 50 degrees, maybe 53

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_115459185.jpg
    IMG_20220324_115459185.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220324_121327720.jpg
    IMG_20220324_121327720.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 19

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
The east wind prevented the rain from moving in, at least until I left at 11am. I set a skin track for a few laps with about <12” new buttery snow at Snoqualmie Pass, Washington. Today, an additional 12” of new snow.
I was watching that storm, heading that way late next week for a couple days trying to decide if Im bringing BC skis or not. I haven't checked the avi reports for that area, but has the new snow already stabilized with the existing spring snow pack conditions under it?

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I was watching that storm, heading that way late next week for a couple days trying to decide if Im bringing BC skis or not. I haven't checked the avi reports for that area, but has the new snow already stabilized with the existing spring snow pack conditions under it?
Check http://nwac.us/ for the avi forecast. Today most zones show considerable hazards with wet loose and wind slabs. With a warming trend, the avi hazard should rise at most elevation bands.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was pretty sure some 10days ago, that my skiing season is over. Skiing for almost 6 months with almost 100 days on skis means season was not all that bad, even though there were very few days that I could enjoy at least some sort of powder in mountains. Those 3 days of snowing here in whole winter, were always accompanied by storm winds, so all soft stuff was gone by middle of next day already. So it was so much better, when it started to snow in middle of last week and I finally got my first proper powder day of season in 50cm of powder and on top of that with lifts, which meant 30 runs and more then 10.000 meters of descent in great conditions. And then just before weekend, it snowed again with another 30cm of snow, but this time yet again with super strong winds, so my probably last ski tour of season was a bit tricky and you needed to find some terrain where wind didn't do that much damage, but for middle of April, and for end of season, it was simply awesome :) And now, with temperatures forecasted to +20c and more for next few days, I guess it's time to put skis away and get mtb out :)

20220410_092523.jpg

We weren't super early, so skintrack was done half way up already.

20220410_095605.jpg

Once for change, I can have bad day on way up too, so I was cheating my way all the way up on back on nicely done skintrack instead of making it :D

IMG-20220410-WA0005.jpg

Not enough snow to bother all the way up to top of that wall, so this time it was just from under the wall. But it was still nice skiing :)

20220410_113218.jpg

Others had enough, so they went for a beer, but for me it was just too nice not to go up again and to get additional 700 height meters of skiing. I kinda knew it's end of season and only 4th or 5th day in whole season to ski something soft(er), so extra 45min of ascend didn't kill me :)

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Solo trip this morning. Headed up the resort hill(closed last weekend), and then dipped into the side country. Traveling solo, so took it very cautiously. Kept to low angle and trees. Still a bunch of fresh snow from last weekend. About 8f with some wicked wind, felt more like February than Mid-April.

F192557C-1BCE-4A65-AC29-849839D00CD4.jpeg