• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pictures From the Skintrack

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hurt my foot earlier in the year (slipping on a sidewalk!), so I haven't toured as much as I would have liked. Got a bluebird day yesterday though!

Liz's photos.

mike creek.jpg
mike sun.jpg

mike sun2.jpg
mike sun3.jpg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seems like xc ski season is over after "only" 55 days on xc skis, so spring ski touring season started. We got some 10cm new snow, which turned into proper shit with sun and +10c, so skiing wasn't all that fun, and all steep, south facing parts on tour were quite a bit of challenge to get through. But weather was great and views in real center of Julian Alps with all the highest mountains our country has, in reach are really well worth the effort (about 20km tour and aome 5.5h on skis and foot all together), even if skiing itself wasn't all that great.

20230318_080214.jpg

After 45min and 500m of ascend on foot, it's time to finally get on skis.

20230318_080218.jpg

It's still quite a long way to the top.

20230318_091147.jpg

We catched up 4 other friend on the way up, so group got a bit bigger :) It was so much easier, when we came to shade, but these were also last few meters on skis, from here on, it was crampons and ice axes.

20230318_104353.jpg

Finally on top with view to Triglav, Slovenia highest mountain, just accross the valley.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
04BD3160-3B28-46D8-AB96-375BF09F43CA.jpeg

7F70C824-8FDB-4773-9091-3AF7A0872A6E.jpeg

The plan was to ski some steep ridges of corn snow today in the Cascades, but Mother Nature dropped about 18” of fresh. NWAC was calling it yellow, but there was no way I was going into steep terrain after two weeks of thaw/freeze and all that fresh sitting on it. So instead it was straight cardio day, several miles of breaking trail up Chinook Pass. Unfortunately I forgot my anti-sticking gel, and I had the worst snow stickage to the bottom of my skis ever. Ended up death march hiking back down, with skis on. Still a good day in the mtns.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow in the woods is fantastic here in MN right now. Deeper than is had ever been, firm and supportive with a soft top.

A friend of mine about an hour north of you does snowplowing for a bit of retirement money. He told me a few days ago: I don't want any more snow, I've got enough money!

Sounds like it's been a banner year.

Unfortunately I forgot my anti-sticking gel, and I had the worst snow stickage to the bottom of my skis ever. Ended up death march hiking back down, with skis on. Still a good day in the mtns.

No coasting up, no coasting down?!

Might as well take up snowshoeing!

We got this season's usual near-zero snow from the latest 3-5" forecast at Big Mountain......:rolleyes: